12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
25 K Views
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was in my local Music-Go-Round recently, and played a very nice SX brand bass. The feel of it was rediculously good(solid feeling gloss neck), and the price was right at $80. It came home with me, and is an awesome bass. When I went home I researched them, and was surprised to find that their product line was very substantial. Their US distributor, rondo music, has very intriging things on the website, like set-necked les pauls and fretless precision basses, all for very low prices. The reviews that i've found were excellent, and a friend of mine who I asked about them said that he had also heard great things about them. I'm thinking abut maybe taking a drive down to Rondo (1 and a half hours) and maybe, if these guitars live up to my expectations, picking up a set-neck, flamed maple top, bound, cherry sunburst les paul for $150.
So my question: Has anyone had any experience with SX before?

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

There are quite a few people here who have either SX guitars, or Agile guitars, (also sold by Rondo). Never heard a bad thing said about either, and Rondo has a great rep for quality & customer service. If you type Rondo into the search window on the top right hand side of your post, you should come up with about 37, (that's what I got! :wink: ), matches talking about SX & Agile guitars. Glad you like your bass! 8) The bassist in my band ordered an SX bass also, and he loves it. Plays it probably just as much as his high priced custom made Carvin bass! :roll: :D
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm finding a lot a good value in low end basses.

I've had great success and lots of enjoyment out of my inexpensive Washburn bass.

Glad you like your SX. It should give you many, many hours of enjoyment.

Congrats!! :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I have a SX Les Paul copy. I love it. Finish is excellent. Sounds great. And it's HEAVY, you could use the thing as a boat anchor. But it is supposed to be a Les Paul copy, so you know what you are getting into there.

Here is the one I have: http://www.rondomusic.net/gg1stdmhna.html

I love the natural finish.

Now, I will mention that the frets are big. Like, really big. That is the one thing I would change about it so far. But even considering that, I challenge you to find a better deal!

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

how can it be big frets?Do you mean the higher frets...

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

how can it be big frets?Do you mean the higher frets...

Yeah, big, tall, jumbo, fat frets. So much so that when I first got it, I chorded a D and strummed. It sounded horrible! Bad out of tune. I had just ear tuned it, so I grabbed the tuner and did it right this time. Strummed that D chord again, and again it was aweful.

Turns out that my fingers were so used to the 13s I had on the acoustic, that I was really clinching HARD on the strings. The guitar had 10s on it, combined with those big frets I was pulling the thing out of tune just by pressing down. I consciously didn't squeeze so hard, and it sounded fine.

Seems to be turning out for the better though. Due to them being so tall, I have developed a MUCH lighter touch, allowing me to speed up a little faster than I think I would have otherwise.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

So your better off now.you can play solos and licks faster i guess.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

How have the pickups been in the SX les pauls(that's what i'm interested in).

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Well, to be honest, I have a difficult time judging that. This is the only electric that I have. I don't have a ton of experience judging them.

But, I will say this. Since getting the guitar, I played with everything similar at the local GC. I have even mostly ran through the same amp that I have to get some comparisons. To my ear, all of the Epi Les Pauls have about the same qualities as the SX does. I think I can hear some differences when I plug in some higher end Epis (like Zakk Wylde signature with those EMG pups) and some of the high dollar gibsons. That Zakk guitar just screams!

Is it worth the insane price jump? Not even close to it, for me. I'm not saying in three years I won't, but right now I couldn't imagine spending $400 - $600 on an Epi when I know what I can get for a measly $150.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, banre, that's essentially why i'm considering one of these guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

They got some nice looking SX electro acoustics in a new shop opened in town, JG Windows. 150 quid for complete package including 10 watt amp! Good grief how times have changed! Made of Basswood, same as my fender acoustic.

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

We own several Agile and SX guitars. (As well as Douglas another Rondo brand) We love them. Check out this video of us with an Agile AL3000 and an SX P Bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xza9sV1ZgeI&feature=related

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote