Clear all

Taste in Music and Respect to Others Taste in Music

46 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

This is a rant, I'd say. And please don't read it, it's waaaay too long. I'm just posting this to get it off my chest. >_> Send it to the trash bin on this board if you wish. It's nothing but a rant.

As some of you may already know, I am absolutely in love with Jimi Hendrix and his music. It's changed my life, it made me realize who I am as a person, who I was, and who I want to become. I love Pink Floyd too, but not to that extreme.

I love classic rock, period. The Doors, The Beatles. And I like bands such as The Who, Queen, Rolling Stones, and obviously other artist like Bob Dylan, you know, I don't need to go on.

So lately I've been more vocal about music with my friends. What it is to me. I don't think some of my friends realized how much I love music and how it's just really important to me. You know, how I've been influenced by it, how much I think Jimi Hendrix is incredible, and how I try and try and try to find a modern band that I like.

Now to me, a lot of modern music sucks. Sorry, I like bits and pieces of it, I even like some rap. I like about 5% of songs on those pop stations. But I really love classic rock.

Now I'm talking with one of my friends to me and he says to me. "You need to stop living in the past and start listening to modern music."

Now I ask one of you to explain, how am I living in the past. I think it's pretty clear that I've done nothing but draw influence from the past, and just feel touched by classic rock more (specifically Jimi Hendrix). I made my point that I'm looking for a modern band, so how am I living in the past. Doesn't make sense to me. It just seemed like a truly "jerk" thing to say, sorry music is nothing but elevator music to him.

And my other friend, I was talking to him about music. You know, his tastes, my tastes. We were both respectful about it. I'd say, "oh yea that songs okay. They all sound a bit too much the same though." He'd say, "I like that one, except I don't like the lyrics much." Understood. That's all good.

So then I bring up this other song that to me truly reflects war, pain, suffering and loss. The song Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix. I explained how John Mayer covered the song at one of his concerts(it was pretty good btw), and on the bootleg of the song, I could hear these girls screaming idiotic things to John Mayer from the audience. Now after saying this, my friend said "it's the drugs."

I was surprised, I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, that was kind of random, I'm talking about girls screaming at a John Mayer song. So he says, "it takes the drugs to realize all those bad things in the world."

Huh? It does? So instead of jumping right out there with something I asked one more time, I asked, "what do you mean?" He says "well drugs make people realize all the bad things in the world like Jimi Hendrix".

So then I'm like, "what the hell is that supposed to mean? The song was created during god damned Vietnam, and it still stands true during this 'War in Iraq'. If it takes drugs to realize all the bad things in the world or hell even the good things in the world, maybe you should start taking drugs (ASIDE: ive never even taken a drug or drank alcohol)."

So he's kinda taken back and he backs off cause he knows I know what's up.

Now, maybe this all seems unorganized and thrown together, it probably is. But I just don't get it. I show respect towards someones taste in music. The utmost respect, I'm honest about it. Then I get crap thrown back at me. I just don't get it. I don't care what kind of taste in music you have. If you like Green Day, good for you, but when I come to you about Pink Floyd don't say "oh they suck, such a bad band." Simply say "not my taste."

This is probably just "When Did It Stop Being About The Music? Part Two"...but god damn man. I show respect and get nothin. I knew this was gonna happen, lol. Damn people.

You might as well send this topic to "Electric Ladyland"(that is the name of the "Trash Bin" at this message board right?), I just had to get this off my chest.

(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Well, Kevin, there's a few things I've realized along the way.
1: You can't change anyone else's mind, and it's absolutley futile to argue taste, opinion, or perception.
2: Different people listen to music for different reasons, and are effected in different ways.
3: There have been a number of times that a friend and I will agree on the quality of an album, yet my favorite song on the album is the other person's least favorite, and vice-versa.
4: It's really a drag when someone feels that "it's the drugs" - total misconception of the music. As Nick Mason said in his book "Inside Out" the members of Pink Floyd were too busy setting up and doing shows to have any time for drugs (sans Syd). Many (not all)musicians fall into this catagory. Too much work to do to party. It's the difference between professional and amature. As for audiences, there are varying percentages of people who are there for the music, there to get wasted, there to get laid, and there because there was nothing else to do at the time. When playing, play to all. Face it, if someone is not there for the music, but get's into the "event" and buys the product, it enables the artist to continue.
5: As long as it's "all about the music" to the MUSICIAN, that's all that matters.

Please read http://www.oenyaw.com/story.html
Personal plug, I know, but you just might get something out of what I "feel" about music and why I do what I do.

Hang in there. Always remember, no matter how bad it gets, at least you can listen to the music you like, when you want. To alot of people it's just there, filler for the day. To some, it's an art form to be appriciated and studied. To some, it's a religion. To me, it's all the above.

ta ta for now,
Oenyaw

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm probably way off topic here but what I've found is...

Most "non-musicians" haven't got much of a clue as to what goes into making a song. They are missing out on the subtles that we as musicians take for granted cuz we have that built in and it just works.

I don't want to call them ignorant but there is so much they don't "get" or don't "appreciate" about specific music that we take for granted everyday cuz it's just part of us.

It's sad really because my world has been so blessed due to me being able to create and be a part of the music world. I feel lucky.

Have compassion for the "less thans" in this world and your rant won't be so severe.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

kevin,

In a way I totally know what you are saying and understand it but I think it's normal for humans to think we all think alike when in reality we are all wired differently. So to you Jimi Hendrix is god and has an influence and it's hard for you to understand how anyone can think differently. Your friends are the same way but they don't care for Jimi.

Oenyaw I think said it right,except the part about drugas and being professional, although I don't advocate drugs, just because an artist used drugs doesn't make him an amatuer, it makes him a professional musician that took drugs. Some of the greatest artists be it musicians, painters etc have taken drugs. It has nothing to do with whether or not they were professional. I've heard better music from artists that have taken drugs than many that haven't.

But it's always been and always will be different strokes for different folks you can't change anyone's mind and there's no use arguing cuz you can't win that argument so don't get worked up about it.

If you love Hendrix and everything about him cool, keep listening and playing his music and don't worry about anyone else.

Everyone always has the need to try and "educate" friends on what good music is or isn't...and that can't be done it's something internal that no one else can make you feel...you have to feel it yourself.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why would I care if people think the bands I like sucks? If that's their opinion, their loss.
Now to me, a lot of modern music sucks.
If you like Green Day, good for you, but when I come to you about Pink Floyd don't say "oh they suck, such a bad band." Simply say "not my taste."

Hmmm. So I can say modern music sucks but I can't say older music sucks?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

s'ok. rant to your heart's content.

I've noticed in my time that people get violently tribal over two things. One is football (European, not Gridiron), and the other is music. Mods and Rockers, Teds and Punks, Liverpool and Feynoord, all went out of their way to beat seven barrels of sh*t out of each other. The "why" around that is probably fanaticism - the guy who can't change his mind and won't change the subject and won't go home until he's beaten you into submission with his idea of what you should be doing with your life.

No disrespect, Kevin, but you mentioned four times in one post about your admiration for Hendrix. We don't have problem with that here - I have a poster of your hero toting a Les Paul in my study and we regularly talk about things "Jimi" round here; but to someone who likes Westlife or Robbie Williams you could be coming across as a bit of a fanatic. Maybe your friend has different influences and wanted to get off the subject.

Everybody should listen to music from a wide range of sources and periods in time. That's how we get to learn about where we are now. Not many of us here like Eminem's Rap music, or Strict Tempo Ballroom, but I defy you to find two better examples for teaching someone to keep a rhythm. You also get into the habit of listening for influences - Brian May's multilayered excesses are a direct influence on the latest Muse album, Cochise is Whole Lotta Love rewritten. Do check out a few more.

Best

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Cnev,
As far as the drugs bit, I was actually refering to the use of drugs during performance, not for enlightenment. I know many who use drugs for a better understanding of things ("reality is a crutch for those who can handle drugs"), but I have no respect for a wasted person on stage. And I include alcohol. That's what I was getting at as far as "professionalism".

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

when I come to you about Pink Floyd don't say "oh they suck, such a bad band." Simply say "not my taste."

Kev, you've been called out!

:lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yea sorry guys. I feel like I came across as a bit of a whiny baby in that post. That's not how I was. In a nutshell, I was just frustrated with people and how they can show zero respect to someone's feelings. With music, to me, it's kind of like someone is ripping apart a religion. If someone ripped apart my sports teams I couldn't care less. I love sports, but it's not a "Religion" like music is for me.

"Maybe your friends don't realize how much music means to you, Kevin."

Yea maybe they don't. And that's why I'm not very, very pi ssed off at them. I'm just frustrated.
Just buy an American Minor album. Problem solved.

http://www.americanminormusic.com
I'll check it out.
Well, Kevin, there's a few things I've realized along the way.
1: You can't change anyone else's mind, and it's absolutley futile to argue taste, opinion, or perception.
2: Different people listen to music for different reasons, and are effected in different ways.
3: There have been a number of times that a friend and I will agree on the quality of an album, yet my favorite song on the album is the other person's least favorite, and vice-versa.
4: It's really a drag when someone feels that "it's the drugs" - total misconception of the music. As Nick Mason said in his book "Inside Out" the members of Pink Floyd were too busy setting up and doing shows to have any time for drugs (sans Syd). Many (not all)musicians fall into this catagory. Too much work to do to party. It's the difference between professional and amature. As for audiences, there are varying percentages of people who are there for the music, there to get wasted, there to get laid, and there because there was nothing else to do at the time. When playing, play to all. Face it, if someone is not there for the music, but get's into the "event" and buys the product, it enables the artist to continue.
5: As long as it's "all about the music" to the MUSICIAN, that's all that matters.

Please read http://www.oenyaw.com/story.html
Personal plug, I know, but you just might get something out of what I "feel" about music and why I do what I do.

Hang in there. Always remember, no matter how bad it gets, at least you can listen to the music you like, when you want. To alot of people it's just there, filler for the day. To some, it's an art form to be appriciated and studied. To some, it's a religion. To me, it's all the above.

ta ta for now,
Oenyaw
1. Obviously. I'm not trying to. Me and him are just having a nice discussion. With respect. Then boom everything changes.
2. Of course. Pretty sure I said that in my post.
3. Yep. I realize this.
4. Yea I read parts of that book(would like to buy it soon). Great pics in there too. And you're right, it wasn't always.
5. Of course.

And I'm not really pissed at all. Last night when I just wrote that I was jsut frustrated, I'd say. And I'll read your story after I get to other people's posts. ;)
I'm probably way off topic here but what I've found is...

Most "non-musicians" haven't got much of a clue as to what goes into making a song. They are missing out on the subtles that we as musicians take for granted cuz we have that built in and it just works.

I don't want to call them ignorant but there is so much they don't "get" or don't "appreciate" about specific music that we take for granted everyday cuz it's just part of us.

It's sad really because my world has been so blessed due to me being able to create and be a part of the music world. I feel lucky.

Have compassion for the "less thans" in this world and your rant won't be so severe.
Agreed. I've noticed since I started playing guitar I've started to appreciate music even more. Some music is just mixed perfectly in the studio, sounds perfect. It's so good.
kevin,

In a way I totally know what you are saying and understand it but I think it's normal for humans to think we all think alike when in reality we are all wired differently. So to you Jimi Hendrix is god and has an influence and it's hard for you to understand how anyone can think differently. Your friends are the same way but they don't care for Jimi.

Oenyaw I think said it right,except the part about drugas and being professional, although I don't advocate drugs, just because an artist used drugs doesn't make him an amatuer, it makes him a professional musician that took drugs. Some of the greatest artists be it musicians, painters etc have taken drugs. It has nothing to do with whether or not they were professional. I've heard better music from artists that have taken drugs than many that haven't.

But it's always been and always will be different strokes for different folks you can't change anyone's mind and there's no use arguing cuz you can't win that argument so don't get worked up about it.

If you love Hendrix and everything about him cool, keep listening and playing his music and don't worry about anyone else.

Everyone always has the need to try and "educate" friends on what good music is or isn't...and that can't be done it's something internal that no one else can make you feel...you have to feel it yourself.
I don't think we're all alike, cnev. I realize that. I realize Hendrix isn't a God to everyone else. I realize some people think his music is just okay, nothing special, not my style, just like a lot of modern music isn't my "style." But you still gotta show respect, that's all I'm saying.

"different strokes for different folks" I know. I realize this. I realize this, I'm not trying to MAKE anyone like my kind of music, I'm just trying to turn them on to it. And vice versa, some of my friends are offering me modern bands to listen to.
Why would I care if people think the bands I like sucks? If that's their opinion, their loss.
If you like Green Day, good for you, but when I come to you about Pink Floyd don't say "oh they suck, such a bad band." Simply say "not my taste."

Go ahead, but have something backing it up. A lot of older music sucks...I agree too, lol. A lot of music sucks in every period of time.
s'ok. rant to your heart's content.

I've noticed in my time that people get violently tribal over two things. One is football (European, not Gridiron), and the other is music. Mods and Rockers, Teds and Punks, Liverpool and Feynoord, all went out of their way to beat seven barrels of sh*t out of each other. The "why" around that is probably fanaticism - the guy who can't change his mind and won't change the subject and won't go home until he's beaten you into submission with his idea of what you should be doing with your life.

No disrespect, Kevin, but you mentioned four times in one post about your admiration for Hendrix. We don't have problem with that here - I have a poster of your hero toting a Les Paul in my study and we regularly talk about things "Jimi" round here; but to someone who likes Westlife or Robbie Williams you could be coming across as a bit of a fanatic. Maybe your friend has different influences and wanted to get off the subject.

Everybody should listen to music from a wide range of sources and periods in time. That's how we get to learn about where we are now. Not many of us here like Eminem's Rap music, or Strict Tempo Ballroom, but I defy you to find two better examples for teaching someone to keep a rhythm. You also get into the habit of listening for influences - Brian May's multilayered excesses are a direct influence on the latest Muse album, Cochise is Whole Lotta Love rewritten. Do check out a few more.

Best

A :-)
Yea, it's funny here in American we think Gridiron Football is serious business. But then on the news there are all these stories about euro-football riots...pretty intense. Must be great to be a hardcore fan over there.

And he wasn't trying to change the subject.

And I do listen to a lot of music. I just listen to some music more often than other music (see: Classic Rock).I've been meaning to listen to some Muse.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

when I come to you about Pink Floyd don't say "oh they suck, such a bad band." Simply say "not my taste."

Kev, you've been called out!

:lol:
More or less there was a flaw in my rant. It was jumbled together, not edited or anything. I forgot to mention that a lot of old music sucks too. Again, all opinion. But that's a general comment, not directed at one band or another.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Heh, just messing with you. :P I think it's something we all have in ourselves one way or the other. If someone asks me what I think of Britney Spears I'll say I think it's complete crap. If people don't want to hear it they shouldn't ask me. I think with 'big' things like music, religion, politics and football (:P) I prefer people to take a stance instead of indifference poorly disguised as tollerance. Go right ahead and tell me Radiohead is pretensious crap or whatever if I ask you about it, everyone has the right to say whatever they think of whatever topic, even more so if I specifically ask about it.

Which is why I try to follow a very simple rule as much as I can: if something is very personal to me and I find it hard to accept different viewpoints I just don't talk about it. Some topics just don't always lend themselves for open and frank debates, and that's fine too. That's why we can always fall back on beer and cars. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Uhh...thanks Twisted Lefty. ;)
Heh, just messing with you. :P I think it's something we all have in ourselves one way or the other. If someone asks me what I think of Britney Spears I'll say I think it's complete crap. If people don't want to hear it they shouldn't ask me. I think with 'big' things like music, religion, politics and football (:P) I prefer people to take a stance instead of indifference poorly disguised as tollerance. Go right ahead and tell me Radiohead is pretensious crap or whatever if I ask you about it, everyone has the right to say whatever they think of whatever topic, even more so if I specifically ask about it.

Which is why I try to follow a very simple rule as much as I can: if something is very personal to me and I find it hard to accept different viewpoints I just don't talk about it. Some topics just don't always lend themselves for open and frank debates, and that's fine too. That's why we can always fall back on beer and cars. :lol:
Alright. You know, you got a great point there. As for my Britney Spears answer, I'd say, "hahaha I used to like her when I was like 12. But now I think she's a complete joke."

And you know, I like that "very simple rule" of yours...I like it a lot.

As for Radiohead, I have no opinion. I've heard some songs and liked them. But that's no opinion, it's kind of like how some people say "Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever!" ...thing is they only heard the songs 'Fire, Foxy Lady and Purple Haze'. Radiohead, I do wanna get into. Do you suggest downloading OK Computer first? Or any other albums?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Kevin:

The previous posts offer solid advice. Taste is anything: music, food, books, the opposite sex, etc. is very subjective. Don't let it upset you. The world would be pretty boring if everyone felt the same way about everything, right?

As I recall, you just turned 16 (or was it 17)? There actually is a music school that specializes in teach classic rock. They have locations in several parts of the country, but not everywhere. You might want to check their website out. Even if you aren't interested in attending, they have a forum there filled mostly with students, who also love classic rock. It might be a good way to connect with kids your age who feel the same as you do.

Google "Paul Green's School of Rock."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Radiohead has a few albums out now and they're pretty diverse. From a guitar-rock perspective I think their first one, Pablo Honey, or the second one, the bends, is a great start. Their third one, OK Computer, is a lot more depressive and dark, and the use of electronica slowly starts to creep in. After that you've get Kid A and Amnesiac, both are very electronical and spacy. The final one is Hail to the Thief, which is somewhat of a mix between their electronical stuff and OK Computer. It really depends on what you're after so just pick one and jump to the next if you don't like it. The latter albums do take a bit more time to get into btw.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4