Clear all

The economy...

28 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cat, are you a copy-editor or graphic artist? I'm a project manager in marketing for my firm.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I suspect it will -- after all, prices are falling because people aren't making purchases. Frankly, I worry about the small guitar shops. This could be hard on them.

It's not just the drop in sales that you need to worry about.

The shop where I used to live has shut down because they rent their space from the local council who went and doubled the rent and they simply couldn't afford it. Exit stage left, the best guitar shop for 20 miles in any direction.

A :-(

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cat plays the music for those TV ads.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Many, many layoffs at my work. It's not a pretty sight. I remember reading a few months ago the Exxon/Mobil recorded 3Q gains of $13 billion. That's BILLIONS! Makes me sick to know that people are loosing jobs. Music related...GC is running a advert for $29.00 Epiphones. You must buy a guitar over $400 to get the Epi... Other greats deals too. I just don't know if I want to spend the money. Things are very tight right now.

"I got the down payment blues"

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Cat, are you a copy-editor or graphic artist? I'm a project manager in marketing for my firm.

I bet you're as busy as a one-legged tap dancer with athlete's foot!

Nah! Music...commercial music. Jingles.

Started as a cable-winder in a recording studio in '74...bought the place in '81 (well, the bank bought it)...started selling radio and TV time spots for clients to house my ads...so it turned itself intyo an "advertising agency"...sold out in '86. In '02 the new suits contacted me here in Oz (out of The Blue) saying their emerging prospects in Europe liked the older stuff in the catalogue...stuff I still owned and was getting royalties on. Good thing, too...make a crazy hippy rich and they sort of go nuts. Work in Brussels, now...maybe six trips there each year.

Not rocket science. But you can't find a better sort of job. I mean, you play your guitar, get to sing, write, travel...and even get to engineer out all the screw ups...be rather inebriated while you do it. (Hey, last trip I sunk a rental car in a canal!)

There's a half-dozen talents I've come across here on GN that could also be doing this "tomorrow"...but they don't realise it.

GREAT job for any freako with a guitar and half (okay, maybe even a quarter...no, maybe an eighth) of a brain!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I've halted all of my extra expenses, but not because we are really hurting. Rather it forced my wife and I to do a good budget and we decided to get our debt paid down. We have a goal of being debt free in two years.

Then I'm going to save for a Harley and a Silverburst Les Paul! :wink:

Seriously though, I have all I need to create music right now. So purchasing more gear is very, very low on the list of priorities. Plus, I already have more gear than talent! :D

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

..snipage...
"I already have more gear than talent! :D"
Jason
Isn't it funny how that works!!!?? I can say the same for myself. But somehow its never stopped me from getting more stuff! :oops:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

well as soon as I bought the first guitar I had more gear than talent and the talent hasn't caught up yet. The only way to fix that is to sell all the musical gear I own and maybe then I'll have more talent than gear.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think several here have hit on the problem, it's uncertainty. I am still working, and fortunately I am in a business that is not affected much by the economy, we make high precision ball bearings primarily for military aircraft and helicopters, even the Space Shuttle. With all the problems in the world, that is still going strong. But even still, I find myself reluctant to spend on extras lately, I have been trying to save just in case things go bad. And I think this is very common now, people are holding back because of uncertainty.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I agree with ya, Wes. Uncertainty always sends the financial markets screwey. Actually, I JUST saw that President Medvedev (Russia) has forbidden the use of the word "uncertainty" in the media over there!!!

Certainly, some jobs will come into their own and others will come to grief. But isn't THAT sort of Darwinism ALWAYS in force???

We got onto an old property coming up on four years, now. It's got two houses that need either a bulldozer or Paul Bunyan as renovators. We're diggin' in...meat/poultry/veges/fruit...and (we hope!) a nice recording studio bizz with accomodation on site...

Come to think of it, there's HEAPS of Britts buying up this valley. It seems that the housing market's tanked out but there's a good niche (like advertising and ball bearings!!!) that seems to be on the better side of Mr Darwin. Six months ago this stockbroker in my Rotary Club liquidated every stock that he could and asked my wife and I to "keep an eye out" for a property out where I am...(the Mt Warning Caldera).

Maybe the Mayans were right about December 2112!

Yeah...I better stock up on thin picks and .008's, I guess???

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I bet you're as busy as a one-legged tap dancer with athlete's foot!

Cat
Yeah - and marketing at a RETIREMENT PLAN PROVIDER firm (we provide investment services for 401(k) plans)... so very busy!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've halted all of my extra expenses, but not because we are really hurting. Rather it forced my wife and I to do a good budget and we decided to get our debt paid down. We have a goal of being debt free in two years.

Then I'm going to save for a Harley and a Silverburst Les Paul! :wink:

Seriously though, I have all I need to create music right now. So purchasing more gear is very, very low on the list of priorities. Plus, I already have more gear than talent! :D

Jason
Godo to hear from you Jason! I haven't seen you online in a while - - of course, it could be ME that's been missing.

I hear you on the more gear than talent line, but that never stopped me before!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Godo to hear from you Jason! I haven't seen you online in a while - - of course, it could be ME that's been missing.

I hear you on the more gear than talent line, but that never stopped me before!

I'm more of a lurker than poster now-a-days. :oops: I'm always around though ... like a bad rash. :lol:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2