Clear all

The Final Cut

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is by an measure an album of extreme contradictions. It's hard to fully wrap your head around it. Sure, it's full of anti-religious and anti-war rhetoric (a bit difficult to sell in relation to World War II.) However, it has this connection that coems accross even if it was a minor effort with plenty of sappiness invovled. There are plenty of times where you can see that things could have been done better, yet it's peculiarities hold some sort of interest in themselves. It's sad and depressing, yet you want to listen to it. Really, you can dismiss it as a small failure yet come back to it and realize that it's anything but. A review I read said that it's difficult to enjoy and to soem extent difficult to respect, however the whoel album has a sort of epicness within it's narrow scope. All the cliches and such come accross without much detriment at all. It's not anything incredibly outstanding yet there really isn't much like it.

It's just difficult to describe this album. Perhaps that's what makes it so fascinating. The message is difficult to respect (if I understand the whoel anti-religious tones correctly, and am not misinterprutting or elsewise concieving them out of imagination, though I would doubt that this is how it is.) I'd just like to get it out of my system, my thoughts on it. Have anything to add? It's a small work which still creates a response whcih is almost a whole different form of art altogether.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I believe The Final Cut was full of leftover material from The Wall. Therefore, not bad stuff, if you consider The Wall one of the best all time albums. However, the songs on The Final Cut are still not really "A" material. I still prefer the 1969-1976 area years for Floyd. The Live At Pompeii dvd is totslly awesome and inspirational.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't see how people say that The Final Cut is the second part of the Wall. Or in your case, elftover material from it. They are two completely different albums. Different motivations, different tones, different writing technique, different composition types. I really can't see how you compare the two apart from the biographical aspect and the inclusion of soundbits into both albums.

Like I mentioned though, to me it's full of contradiction. None of the songs are that great in terms of puttign them on your playlsit and hearing them between other tracks, however they have a quality that creates impact beyond what I traditionally think of when I think of music.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Actually, the Final Cut is not a Pink Floyd album, but a solo Roger Waters album, quite in keeping with his other solo stuff. Pink Floyd at the time had disbanded and Waters wanted to close the band his way. David Gilmour was invited to play guitar on some of the track and Nick Mason plays on one track somewhere (to legitimize the use of the name Pink Floyd). Rick Wright isn't even on the album. Notice that you never hear Gilmour's voice and he's the main Floyd vocalist.

Overall, that's why it sounds so different from other Floyd albums: it isn't a Floyd album. It's the continuation of Waters' obsession with the death of his father during WWII.

Thankfully, the rest of the guys got back together and gave us two much better albums. By the way, if you're old enough to have been around when the Wall came out, you probably can't stand it anymore. The Division Bell is, in my opinion (and I respect other's opinions on this), by far the best Pink Floyd album ever made.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Question: What is the difference between the Final Cut released in 1983 by Columbia and The Final Cut released in 2004 by EMI?

Is it just a case of EMI obtaining the rights and re-releasing it, or is there new production?

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I was young when The Wall came out and I hear it all the time on the radio. I am still not tired of it. I don't listen to the album all the time. I listen to a BIG variety of music, so I like to occasionally come back to The Wall. I occasionally come back to a lot of albums, just don't listen to a lot of stuff over and over. I'm easily bored that way and I got to be constantly exploring for something I haven't heard before. Different genres and different eras, that is the best way to be a better musician IMO.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote