Clear all

The Kinks

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I don't know why I never put the album on, probably because I was listening to Marty Robbins and figured this was another of those Rolling Stones type things that gave me a head ache. However after reading they were one of Mark Knopfler's favourite bands, I decided to raid, my uncle's (now CD) collection. After years of watching British news, documentaries and comedy programs, it's nice to know where some of the music comes from :D.
Just one question, what the heck was the 'Carnbetian army' mentioned in Dedicated Follower of Fashion. (It will come as no suprise to the Brits I first heard the song in a documentary about John Inman :D )

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

(@alangreen)

Carnaby Street in London was the centre of the known universe for 1960's fashion.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you listen carefully, you'll find it's

"Everywhere the Carnaby Street army marches on"

Alan's quite correct with his fashion statement.....

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm, not hearing it, is there more than one version?

What's the current state of popularity anyways? Are any of the songs the sort of thing that might get played down at the pub these days? I was thinking of taking a crack at one or two of them

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

LA LA LA LA LOOOOLA!

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yep, Lola always goes down well - a lot of the early stuff, Tired of Waiting etc...from the later years, Come Dancing is played a lot on the radio, and it's a fairly easy chord progression...

Saw a pub band play "Days" fairly recently as well, but that's a pretty complex song...lots of key changes...

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

LA LA LA LA LOOOOLA!

You Really Got Me, to some extent I guess. Celluloid Heroes too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lola it is then. For starters.

Hmm, no wonder the teacher wasn't impresssed when he found "The Kinks" scribbled all over young "Mr. Knopfler's" notebook. :lol:

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I think you'll find it's probably "Carnabetian" - a made up word referring to Carnaby Street.

Most tabs on the net seem to say "Carnbetian", but they nearly all rip off whoever does a song first, so the same mistakes crop up all over the net. :)

At least one site does spell it "Carnabetian" so my guess is that could be the right one. It's probably easier to sing than the full "Carnaby Street army". That is what it means though.

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Alan's quite correct with his fashion statement.....

Vic.

Oi! I've never been accused of making a fashion statement before.

Waterloo Sunset is a great workout

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

While you won't hear them often played at the pub, almost everyone enjoys hearing Superman, Apeman, All Day and All of the Night, Come Dancing, Catch Me Now I'm Falling, Celluiloid Heroes, Dancing In the Streets, Low Budget, Where Have ALl the Good Times Gone, and You Really Got Me.

Of course, if we're talking about the songs that Knopfler likely listened too, then we're talking early Kinks, and no one knows those songs. I mean, "Little Miss Queen of Darkness" is a really cool song, but if you can sing the first line you either have a real interest in music history or live in Muswell Hill.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The Kinks had some good stuff. Add to it, "Destroyer".

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybaht)

Muswell Hill? If the world had haemmorhoids, that's where they'd be.
I once had the misfortune to stay for a couple of weeks in Muswell Hill, although I never found out what I had done to deserve such a fate.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm, think I actually know someone in Muswell Hill currently, have to check with a certain relative.

Does anyone remeber if there was an American commercial with You really got me, perhaps the Van Halen version? Something's nagging at me about the song. :?

Hmm, definately have to buy a couiple of the early CDs and learn a few of these songs. As well as a few more of Knoffy's :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Does anyone remeber if there was an American commercial with You really got me, perhaps the Van Halen version? Something's nagging at me about the song. :?

Van Halen did it in the late 70's. Their first or second album, I think.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2