Notifications
Clear all

The party is over

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

cnev, sorry to hear the band split up - it must be a bit disheartening at the moment, the rehersals become a part of weekly routine and a good bit of fun, so missing that alone is a bummer.

I dont know what to suggest but i will keep my fingers crossed that in a few weeks i read a post showing that this cloud does have a silver lining!

I second that completely, really hope you keep playing and finding ways to move forward on this.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As the old saying goes - one door closes, another door opens. One chapter finishes, another one starts....OK, enough cliches.

Chris, what you've got to do now is think back to why you wanted to play guitar in the first place....and then re-think your goals. I don't think I've ever seen you post a song in the SSG or the other Songwriting club - maybe this might be a good time to start? If you can't write lyrics, write music - I'm sure some of us could come up with lyrics to your riffs.

Then again, if you just want to play covers....then advertise. There must be people in your area who want to jam, or even gig, and play covers - ever thought of that? yeah, course you have, that's what you've been doing these last few years...but never mind, try advertising AGAIN!

Sorry I can't be more constructive, but, as always, I wish you well whatever you try to do - but don't ever quit playing! You've come too far down the road, and you're WAY too good for that.....

Or - you could try re-locating to Merseyside. Scrybe's hosting a jam in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking forward to meeting almann1979 and jamming - and there may be other GN people (Wattsiepoops? C'mon, get your backside in gear!) there I don't know, but what the hell - you don't get out, you don't play, you fade away....

keep playing, Chris, and may the muse be with you.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Vic/Scrybe - I'll defintiely keep playing I don't think I could stop now even if I wanted to it's become a habit and Vic I've already talked with the other guitar player about either working on doing something with the songs he wrote or writing some stuff myself. I hadn't thought much about writing in the past but it does intrique me a bit. Just not enough hours in the day to get everything done and at the end of the day if I at least keep improving as a player I'll be happy.

Since I started later in life and I wasn't born with any special musical talents I've always felt that it would be hard for me to ever catch up to te skill level of people that have played since they were in their teens and I probably won't but I'd like to keep pushing the bar a bit and get as far as I can.

I have pretty much concentrated on covers because the way I see it at my stage knowing as many covers as I can is gong to give me the best opportunity to play with different people.

I was hoping that if it worked with the guys i was with we'd play out eventually and if it didn't we wouldn't but I enjoy the practices and working on songs to get them tight.

I can be happy getting together with the guys and playing for a couple hours even if it's in my basement.

I'll probably start going to the open mic's on Tuesday's and see how that goes. espcially now that I know I can take my little Johnson J-Station and my guitar only...alot easier than having to lug an amp around and by the time I get home from work and eat it's rough getting up to go out especially knowing I have to lug an amp around.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There should be an enorous burden being lifted off your shoulders with this. No more smoothing over everyone's differing objectives to appease one and all. You've been the glue in many ways, but that takes it's toll on a feller. It's a lot more difficult than some imagine. For those who are or have been leaders of both business and social efforts, we know. I worked my tail off to be a manager at a young age. Got there and hated it within the year. Took me two decades to figure that out. But that's just me.

Point is, you've got a nice break to enjoy yourself and play instead of worry about and tend to logistics and dynamics.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2