Skip to content
The Saints go march...

Notifications
Clear all

The Saints go marching in - again. (Update - Sept 8th)

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, this isn't music related, apart from the fact I'm highly superstitious and every time there's a Rugby League game on TV featuring St. Helens (Saints) I have to play "When The Saints Go Marching In" or else they'll lose.....guitar or harmonica, it doesn't really matter.

But I'm a happy chappie because Saints won the Challenge Cup today - won it last year as well as the Super League Leaders shield, the play-off final (the US equivalent would be the Superbowl) AND became world Champions as well.....

Much alcohol has been consumed, many celebratory songs have been sung, and I've also finished decorating - though I'm dreading seeing that in the daylight!

Tomorrow (Sunday) I get to rescue my guitars from the limbo that was the music room, but is recently known as the room where all the crap has been dumped - everything from my shirts and jeans to about 20 years accumulated VHS tapes....it's all piled high, and desperately needs sorting out. I THINK I caught a glimpse of a desperate Telecaster crying out for rescue.....

I've had a two week break from guitar, I can't wait to play again....really looking forward to jamming Sunday night!

OK let's hear it for the lads....

"Oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints go marching in........."

:D :D :D

Vic

UPDATE......as of last night (Friday) Saints cannot be overtaken and will finish the season at the top of Superleague yet again. For some strange reason, finishin the regular season at the top of the League doesn't count for much - surely the best side over 28 games during the regular season is, well, the best side and worthy of the title of "League Champions?"

Well.....no. The powers-that-be decided that the top six clubs at the end of the season will play a series of play off matches culminating in a Grand Final.

It works something like this....

Game 1 - The team who finished third will play a home game against the team who finished sixth .
Game 2 - The team who finished fourth will play a home game against the team who finished fifth.

Game 3 - One week later, the winner of game 1 plays the winner of game 2.
Game 4 - On the same day, the team who finished 1st at the end of the regular season plays the team who finished 2nd.

Game 5 - One week later again....The team who won game 3 (ie the team who won through from places 3-6) plays the loser of game 4.

Then the Grand Final will be contested between the winners of game 3 - either the table toppers or the runners-up - and the winners of game 5.

Convoluted or what!!!!

Then - the winners of the Grand Final will play the Australian Grand Final winners the following February. The odds are stacked against the Aussies - this game's usually played in England in the depths of winter....last year the Aussies, Brisbane, experienced a 100 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature from Aussie summer to English winter! The winners of that game are the official world champions......

Anyway, who gives a #####...... Saints are Champions once again - 7 trophies in two years! Oh and did I mention we've got an Aussie coach? (Manager for football fans.....)

Here's hopefully looking forward to the Grand Final - I'm going to have a little bet, I reckon Saints v Bradford - and there won't be much in it, but Saints to retain their trophy.....you listening, Trev? (Barnabusrox...)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I like the song - The Saints are coming by Green Day and U2.

Hope you had a merry time there, Vic.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Vic wrote:

I've had a two week break from guitar, I can't wait to play again....really looking forward to jamming Sunday night!

OK let's hear it for the lads....

"Oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints go marching in........."
Hey Vic,

Why not try Tony Sheridan and The Beatles version of "The Saints" from the 1962 Hamburg recordings?

You are bound to have that on CD or vinyl somewhere in your collection . "If not, why not!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote