The Secret To Greatness: Hint It's Not Natural Talent

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh NO. this subject again! Found this article today in CNN/Money Magazine:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/10/30/8391794/index.htm?postversion=2006101715

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Whatta concept!! LOL Half my life was ruined by my Dad telling me that people who sang and played instrument did so cause they had natural talent... Wish I would have never listened to him on that subject. Practice, hard work, and dedication... thats the ticket!

Thanks for the article.

Jim

PS Mostly kidding about the ruined life... Lifes been good to me so far.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Confirms the old throuth, that getting knowledge and skill is never for free, always includes hard work...........

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

A great article! I was just about to write in and whine as to why a friend can play tunes seemingly out of nowhere and hear notes that I didn't know were there. Maybe it has to do with playing for 30 years. I like the part quoted here:
"The best people in any field are those who devote the most hours to what the researchers call "deliberate practice." It's activity that's explicitly intended to improve performance, that reaches for objectives just beyond one's level of competence, provides feedback on results and involves high levels of repetition."
Apparently there is a difference between noodling and "deliberate practice" I know that but tend to forget from time to time. Am going to bookmark this site and use it when I feel progress has slowed. Thanx
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Nope, the secret of greatness is.....

8 pints of Bishop's Finger and a Vindaloo

After that, nothing can stop you

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Good Article, I like where it says some Grandmaster Chess Players only have an IQ of 90.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Nope, the secret of greatness is.....

8 pints of Bishop's Finger and a Vindaloo

After that, nothing can stop you

Best,

A :-)

Alan knows everything :lol:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote