Clear all

The Tao of Monsters Inc.

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@hueseph)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

.....Huh? You heard me. Really after watching this movie again, I'm starting to think of it as somewhat of a parable. .....yeah ok hear me out. It's really far fetched but I like to see the good in meaningless things.

• The monsters: soldiers sent out to intimidate children in order to obtain "scream".
    The children:or child like, underdeveloped countries who have this "scream" which everyone uses as energy.
    Scream:The energy source. Powerful. Necessary. An entire race dependant on it.
    Mr. Waternous: The prez. Who could know this lead all the way up to him?
    Randall:The secret servant carrying out the plans.
    The populace:Unaware of the impending crisis.
  • Now the movie carries along essentially thus:

Monsters discover a plot to force energy from children, who are thought to pose a threat but however are shown plainly to be more vulnerable than they were aware.
    The prez does everything in his power to hide this fact knowing that the future of the "company"(and it's profits) is at risk. The monsters defeat the prez and learn in conjunction with the children how to produce not only clean energy but one which is beneficial to both parties.

Ok. It's far fetched.

And no, I'm not taking excessive doses of prozac.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

(@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

And how is this music related? Your commentary is, I think, accurate, but if this little Disney thread takes a turn toward political digressions, I'll have to put the genie back in the bottle....

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
    -- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

Not music related at all...but this is the opinions forum.

ReplyQuote
    (@greybeard)
    Illustrious Member

Cool, I like it.
    Not music related at all...but this is the opinions forum.

They killed the opinions forum many months ago.
    Sorry, that was the Coffee House.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
    Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
    Greybeard's Pages
    My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
    (@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

Here's the description of the forum from the forum homepage:If you have a post about music or guitar that doesn't really fit anywhere else, put it here. This is strictly on topic, guitar or music related topics only. Please be civil and courteous here. This forum is moderated and respectful conversation is expected. That's why I commented.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
    (@noteboat)
    Illustrious Member

I remember when I was in high school. We had to read the usual novels, and craft inspired b.s. about the symbolism in order to pass: "the meat loaf in Salinger's novel represents..."

Teachers encouraged this seach for deeper meaning. They'd share the academic view of what all the characters, events, and craftily chosen words really meant, and I remember thinking "if Salinger/Hemmingway/Fitzgerald/whoever really mapped out all these hidden meanings, when did he ever find time to write the book?"

Anyway.

I think most creative artists, writers, poets, etc. work on one of two levels. Either they deliberately use symbolism to tell a second story, or they don't. The trouble with symbolic storytelling is that you have to be pretty ham-fisted with it if you want the public to 'get it' (Animal Farm). If you shoot for subtle, nobody gets it but you... subtle symbolism is personal.

So if you have a story that's full of (or may be full of) subtle symbolism, you've got a story that's open to thousands or millions of different personal interpretations (take the Bible - fundamentalists who interpret it 'literally' still disagree on those 'literal' interpretations; that's why there's more than one fundamentalist sect).

Now the really neat thing is that symbolic interpretations can often be even more entertaining or enlightening than the original work. I know I enjoyed "The Tao of Pooh" very much - I read it in the day when I was reading Milne to my kids every night.

So I tip my hat to hueseph - searching for meaning in the everyday usually marks a very creative person, with or without Prozac :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

Uh....ok. Should I request to have this thread deleted? I'm not here to ruffle anyones feathers over something so trivial.

Edit: this was in referrence to the thread being completely off topic. I'm fine with it being deleted. The things people think of in the wee hours of the morning...I need sleep.

ReplyQuote
    (@musenfreund)
    Illustrious Member

No, it's fine. I just wanted to avoid seeing your interpretation turn into a political discussion about energy, foreign policy, exploitation. I think your interpretation is right, but the discussion needs to focus on the film and not get politically controversial. That's all. (My moderator instincts see that digression as a distinct possibility to be avoided!)

Otherwise, it's all good.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

searching for meaning in the everyday usually marks a very creative person, with or without Prozac :)

Sad to say, I think this is one of the side effects of all that acid I did in my twenties.
    Chmicals.....brrrr. It gives me shivers to think I ever played with such volatile stuff. Sobriety is something to be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
    (@hueseph)
    Noble Member
    Topic starter  

No, it's fine. I just wanted to avoid seeing your interpretation turn into a political discussion about energy, foreign policy, exploitation. I think your interpretation is right, but the discussion needs to focus on the film and not get politically controversial. That's all. (My moderator instincts see that digression as a distinct possibility to be avoided!)

Otherwise, it's all good.

I appreciate that. Sincerely. I've had enough with politics which, honestly, I could care less about. Really the thought is just a mind working over-time after a long week of deadlines. At my job it's been "Xmas" since August. My company thrives on things that you will hide in your closet for 11 months out of the year. ...ugh. there I go off on a rant again.

ReplyQuote
    (@ricochet)
    Illustrious Member

My company thrives on things that you will hide in your closet for 11 months out of the year. Hey, somebody's gotta make 'em! :D

(I've been known to drag out tacky Christmas stuff in the middle of summer.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
    (@rahul)
    Famed Member

All i know about Monsters Inc. is that -

1.Its a great movie

2.I have the dvd of it.

3.I have seen it atleast 95 times, if not more and know it word by word.

And yeah, i do know that Yak's milk is extremely nutritious.

ReplyQuote
    (@wes-inman)
    Illustrious Member

Wow, after reading this post I'm surprised I'm a musician at all. If this is how artists think and see things, I must have no creativity at all. I am just a bread and butter man. I watch little TV, what I do watch is the News, some sports (love football and golf) and educational programs like the History Channel. Man, I am a real drag.

Sad to say, I think this is one of the side effects of all that acid I did in my twenties.
    Chmicals.....brrrr. It gives me shivers to think I ever played with such volatile stuff. Sobriety is something to be appreciated.

Very interesting thing to say. When everybody thought Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was about LSD (something John Lennon strongly denied), is that because people let their thoughts get away from them, or because the music really suggested that?? I know when I first heard this song I thought it was describing an acid trip for sure. And that was even before I realized the title could spell out LSD.

So with much literature, music, and movies having hidden symbols, it is not really unusual for a person to expect to see this in a movie like this.

So hueseph, it's not the acid, it's the culture.

By the way, I have no clue whatsover about this movie and cannot imagine watching a movie like this. 8)

Yeah, Tiger just drove a ball 326 yards! :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
    (@twistedlefty)
    Famed Member

you can read subtle symbolism into the back of a cereal box, not sure why though.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
    (@ricochet)
    Illustrious Member

I can't imagine watching golf!

Is there any subtle symbolism to it?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 2