Notifications
Clear all

The Tao of Monsters Inc.

30 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Well, Lucy was about LSD in the same way Freudian slips are real. Lennon didn't intend it to be about LSD, nor was he consciously aware of the initials meaning LSD, but he was so heavily into tripping at the time and so much into acid, I'm sure that he was preoccupied enough that this trippy little number is certainly acidic in its accidental overtones....

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I can't imagine watching golf!

Is there any subtle symbolism to it?

Well, it's all how you are brought up. My Dad was an avid golfer, so I was watching tournaments ever since I can remember. My Dad was also a charter member of the Thousand Oaks Golf club in Ponte Vedra, Fla. This is now the home of the PGA, named Sawgrass. This was all swamp when I was a kid, I used to hunt there. Now all millionaires live there.

Sport- Hey, I think I would get the same message.

I also thought Strawberry Fields was about a dead person and everybody tells me it isn't.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see. (you don't see anything when you're dead)

It's getting hard to be someone, but it all works out, it doesn't mean that much to me - (decomposing in the grave, and of course you don't care)

Let me take you down (down to the grave)

Strawberry Fields forever (eternity)

I still think this song is from a dead person in the grave.

Guess I'm just imagining things that aren't really there.

Edit: Oh, and the famous statement at the end of Strawberry Fields everybody thought said, "I buried Paul". John Lennon said he actually said, "I'm very bored" which fits perfectly with a dead person lying in a grave for eternity.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like that interpretation of Strawberry Fields, Wes. It works.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I thought Paul was supposedly saying"Cranberry sauce". I remember hearing that in a interview back in the 70's....But then again most of my memories of the 70's is kind of fuzzy :oops:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Maybe off the subject a little, but does relate by hiding a message in lyrics is one of my favorite songs by Frank Black on the Teenager of the Year album. This is an awesome song, Frank gets a just unbelieveable tone with his Telecaster through a Vox AC30. If you ever get a chance, check it out.

Anyway, during this song Frank mentions a "romaunt". A romaunt is a style of poetry with exactly 14 lines. During the bridge Frank sings exactly 14 lines. Look at the first letter of each line and see what you get.

Had a bit part
An endless reel
It always played in slo-mo
But now its fast
A spinning wheel
I know the dynamo
My heart
Is cast

Speedy marie
Ahead of the now
Shes better built thats how
Shes built for speed
Speedy marie
Speedy marie

Oh, yes indeed
I said to me
And so I sing this romaunt
Its not enough
My liberty
There is a thing I want
I need
I love

Speedy marie
Ahead of the now
Shes better built thats how
Shes built for speed
Speedy marie
Speedy marie

Bridge starts here:

Juxtaposed in each moments sight
Everything that I ever saw
And my one delight
Nothing can strike me in such awe

Mouth intricate shapes the voice that speaks
Always it will soothe
Rarer none are the precious cheeks
Is the size of each sculpted tooth
Each lip and each eye

Wise is the tongue, wet of perfect thought
And softest neck where always do i
Lay my clumsy thoughts
She is that most lovely art
Happy are my mind and my soul and my heart

JEAN MARIE WALSH

That's Frank's ex-wife's (recently divorced) maiden name.

Now that is songwriting. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Funny, but I've never understood the selective sight of some people. The initials of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds are LITSWD not LSD.
I also thought Strawberry Fields was about a dead person and everybody tells me it isn't.
It was about a children's home - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4593625.stm

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Funny, but I've never understood the selective sight of some people. The initials of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds are LITSWD not LSD.
It was about a children's home - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4593625.stm

Just to expand on this idea: It's about the carefree days of youth when there's "nothing to get hung about" and you often "misunderstand all you see."
Everyone's trying to be someone.

"That is you can't, you know, tune in but it's alright. That is, I think it's not too bad." Indecisiveness. A general inability to focus.
"Always. No. Sometimes think it's me but you know I know when it's a dream. I think I know of me. Oh yes but it's all wrong. That is, I think I disagree." Finding your identity as an individual.

Very E. E. Cummings. A la Wherelings, Whenlings.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I thought Paul was supposedly saying"Cranberry sauce". I remember hearing that in a interview back in the 70's....But then again most of my memories of the 70's is kind of fuzzy :oops:

'tweren't Paul, 'twas John! (and when you listen to the earlier takes on Anthology, you can clearly hear "cranberry sauce"!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

"That is you can't, you know, tune in but it's alright. That is, I think it's not too bad." Indecisiveness. A general inability to focus.
"Always. No. Sometimes think it's me but you know I know when it's a dream. I think I know of me. Oh yes but it's all wrong. That is, I think I disagree." Finding your identity as an individual.

Reminds me of the theme song for Malcolm In the Middle:

"Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, can you repeat the question?"

I still think it's a dead guy singing. :D

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The full initials, yes, but something called 'proper' initals, where you don't count 'small' words, would be LSD. It's more common to see it applied to capitalisation for ease of reading, is then called proper case, and is the correct way to write song/book/film etc titles formally. Now that I've said that, have a look and see which words you capitilised when you spelled out the title... :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Some People on Discussion Boards Write in that Manner, as well.

It's sorta like Reading the Declaration of Independence.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

LAOALS = Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
SWLABR = She walks like a bearded rainbow

R&R, B&B
RADAR = radio detection and ranging

As far as I'm aware there is no "proper names rule" in English grammar and the reason that I have capitalised those words is that nouns in German are always capitalised and I do it automatically.

I still contend that it is selective sight of a self-fulfilling hypothesis. He wanted to find a drugs connection and made sure he did.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If you want to go into it, then it's basically capitilising any word that's not considered closed-class, but then that's a grouping that's fairly arbitrary anyway.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

Well, you learn something new everyday!

I read somewhere that Paul said "I'm very tall" but now I hear it's cranberry sauce?

Hmmm... how we got I buried Paul from cranberry sauce... the world may never know. Right up there with how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center. :)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I love the wood paneling of the walls in the interior shots of Monster Inc.'s offices.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2