Clear all

The Truth

52 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Guys. I have something really deep to express here. I am feeling something that I have to get out.

There was a time when I hated jimi Hendrix. I was a "jimi-hater".

I believe that this was because I was a hardcore metal head. Nothing but metal. Metal. Metal. 80's metal. You name it ozzy, metallica, megadeth, bon jovi, whatever I wore it all out so bad its not even funny. Listened to it, jammed to it, learned it, played it and WORE it out. So bad that its almost annoying to me now.

Well, When I was a newb in guitar I was one of the kids who thought the faster a guitarist plays it the better he is. Speed is everything I thought, and its all about the fast high pitch lead. Everything else is baby guitar. Well I have changed alot. Over the 4 years of playing guitar, I have started to realize something. Its not about speed. Its not about how loud or quiet the amp is, and its most definatly not about just metal.

Oh no, Theres something else that I have fallen in love with. And that is blues guitar. I am deeply inlove with it and I fell in FAST. Guitar isnt about speed, or the genre. No, guitar is about tone. Tone my friends. Guitar is all about the sound that one can put out with it. Its the TONE that matters. IMO I would choose slow and excellent tone over fast and basic anyday.

I have lost my hate for jimi big time. I have actually grown to love him. I cant explain what happened to me, but I think I matured in guitar and music.

Don't get me wrong, I still love metal, and I still love fast solos, but I just have to express that I now understand what all you ol' timers are talking about. I now understand. :P

So there may not be much message from my thread here, but all I have to say is something came over me and changed my opinion of blues, and jimi. This will now be my new guitar playing style for a LONG LONG time..

BTW, I would just like to say that the song that inspired me to write this and just let you all know how I feel is " Red House " By Jimi. Breathtaking guitar.

8) 8)

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As my guitar instructor once told me: no matter what you're taste and style is there will be one point where you'll suddenly 'get' hendrix and appreciate it on a whole new level, whether you're into jazz or metal. Seems true to me. :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have actually grown to love him. I cant explain what happened to me, but I think I matured in guitar and music.

Yep :lol:

Congrats

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@doc-gliss)
Eminent Member

Congratulations, and kudos to you for recognizing this stuff and being willing to share your experience. You may have helped illuminate the path for someone who hasn't seen it yet.

I was playing for a musical last year in which there was one little slow, five note solo that emphasized one of the more intense scenes in the show. So I tried to conjure up the feelings I had about that scene - where's that thread about "feelings"? :wink: - and simply play how that felt. The twenty-something-year-old female orchestra conductor stood sideways between the cast and the orchestra and thus had her back to me. Every time I hit the first note of that solo, she arched her back and looked up at the ceiling and like you, MM, I was reminded that tone - and the passion that drives it - is everything.

Nice thread!

If the dude woke up this mornin', he's playin'.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Good on you mate. :D

This year Jimi, next year Bach, Beethoven and Mozart... :P

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As my guitar instructor once told me: no matter what you're taste and style is there will be one point where you'll suddenly 'get' hendrix and appreciate it on a whole new level, whether you're into jazz or metal. Seems true to me. :D

Hasn't happened for me yet....some of his work I love, most of it I dislike - although I'm not a fan, I can appreciate the fact he was a fabulous musician, and a huge influence on guitarists everywhere....somehow it just doesn't click for me...same thing goes for SRV, man that guy could play, but I just couldn't sit through an entire album of his...

As regards changing styles, I think I play a lot of blues now - I hardly knew what the blues was until I joined GN! Still playing catch-up, but it's nice to know there are a lot of great blues players out there I still haven't heard....

Anyway, MM, glad your horizons have been broadened....there's a lot more undiscovered music out there for all of us!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

to add another layer to this talk ...
it is great when we mature as players and listeners. our tastes should grow as they develop.
it is the very same with artists. they develop and grow new ideas. I hear complaints all the time from 'fans' that want their favorite player to play the same song over and over again.
that so under rates the artists growth.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Vic: oh, I'm not saying you should like it, it's more of a perspective thing. It's as with Bach, initially it seemed as just some dude with an organ but after a while I could hear atleast part of what he was doing. I don't like a lot of Bach, I can only stand so much 'halleluja' per song, but as a musician I've grown by atleast understanding it's more then just some chords on an organ. Just as Hendrix is more then a guitar-burning dude with sloppy technique and poor rhythm. Whether you like his songs is just taste, and there's no such thing as 'good taste' IMHO.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Hasn't happened for me yet....some of his work I love, most of it I dislike - although I'm not a fan, I can appreciate the fact he was a fabulous musician, and a huge influence on guitarists everywhere....somehow it just doesn't click for me...same thing goes for SRV, man that guy could play, but I just couldn't sit through an entire album of his...

As regards changing styles, I think I play a lot of blues now - I hardly knew what the blues was until I joined GN! Still playing catch-up, but it's nice to know there are a lot of great blues players out there I still haven't heard....

Anyway, MM, glad your horizons have been broadened....there's a lot more undiscovered music out there for all of us!!!

:D :D :D

Vic
Interesting thread. I've always felt like an infidel for not loving Jimi. Or maybe I just haven't "grown into" him yet. Guess I'm not entirely alone.

Like you, Vic, there are some things of his I do love, and a lot that don't do much for me. However, I don't know that there is any SRV that I don't like/love. Just goes to show, there's no accounting for taste.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you know, all those fast solos and guitar driven bands, all those metal players... most of them come from the blues tradition, and a lot of the reason those bands were so successful was because of the groundwork laid out by hendrix. he's the guy that turned the masses on to the wild, fast guitar solo.

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

As my guitar instructor once told me: no matter what you're taste and style is there will be one point where you'll suddenly 'get' hendrix and appreciate it on a whole new level, whether you're into jazz or metal. Seems true to me. :D[/quote yeh! i had his hair style drove the girls nuts 8) thanks jimmi

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to the Blues MetallicaMan, it's not just for ol'geezers anymore....

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey, you can finally HEAR Jimi! :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Guitar is all about the sound that one can put out with it. Its the TONE that matters. IMO I would choose slow and excellent tone over fast and basic anyday.

Guitar isn't about only one thing. If you focus on one area too much you neglect another aspect, balance in all things - the middle path is the path to enlightenment.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Blues is great stuff.

Now you can start looking around for music from the guys Jimi was listening to, who influenced him. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4