Clear all

The Truth

52 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Blues is great stuff.

Now you can start looking around for music from the guys Jimi was listening to, who influenced him. :D

You can start with Buddy Guy. I understand that Jimi once cancelled a performance so he could see Buddy play.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd check out some Clapton too if I were you! And if you're startin to really appreciate TONE, Santana and Pink Floyd while you're at it :)

Grats, the blues is mostly what I play on guitar now, welcome :wink:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If you like Clapton, check out his main role model Freddie King.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Check out the 3 Kings : BB, Freddie, and Albert. There is no relation between them but they all have a very distinct style you can hear in a lot of rock, especially the rock from Jimi's time.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

woah guys!!! I didnt expect all these replies!!! Thanks for all your input!!

Yeah I am already a HUGE pink floyd fan, and LOVE Gilmore..

Yeah, But I just can't stop listening to hendrix now, and I am a big clapton fan as well..

Thanks all you guys and keep jammin'

Metallica Man 8)

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Check out the 3 Kings : BB, Freddie, and Albert. There is no relation between them
In an odd way there is a relation between B.B. and Albert, since Albert took his "King" stage name in tribute to B.B. He also named his Flying V "Little Lucy" in homage to "Lucille." Albert doesn't sound a thing like B.B.

As for Eric Clapton, he does several of Freddie King's songs sounding EXACTLY like Freddie. If you'd previously only heard E.C. and heard Freddie's original versions of those songs, you'd swear it was E.C. playing and singing. That's because E.C. so closely covered Freddie.

(A similar thing happens when you first hear Professor Longhair: "Is he trying to sound like Elvis?" No! Elvis was copying the Professor's singing style.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I'm glad you're seeing the light MetallicaMan!

I have a question for you guys though. Can the reverse happen? Can someone who is deeply in love with the blues wake up one day and find out he likes metal?

I'm into the blues big time, but I know I will never be able to listen to metal, it's just not gonna happen. I'd rather go deaf than have to listen to it.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Praise the Lord, and Hallelujah, he has seen the light! (it burns!) When I was little, I listened to my parents' records - Chuck Berry came from my Dad's collection; Doors, Beatles, Janis from my Mother's. My Mom also had the Woodstock 3LP set, which had some great Hendrix stuff on it.

Then I listened to pop for a few years. :roll: I dunno what I was thinking. ;)

Now I'm back to older stuff again, and a lot a lot of Hendrix. :) Great stuff. Enjoy your newfound love!

TZ

PS- Metallica's still cool though.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a question for you guys though. Can the reverse happen? Can someone who is deeply in love with the blues wake up one day and find out he likes metal?

I'm into the blues big time, but I know I will never be able to listen to metal, it's just not gonna happen. I'd rather go deaf than have to listen to it.

Maybe this is a way to make the transition, though I guess it would apply either way.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AccdSQfYk_Y

Not the best way to do it, but gimme a break, it's the closest to Floyd I'm gonna get.

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Nice OWA, But thats definatly not the best transition into metal.. Korn is more 90's metal anyways...

Oh yeah Its still and will always be "MetallicaMan" lol There in my blood.. :twisted:

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The only part I liked was the solo :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Hey MetallicaMan, if you still like the fast guitar solos, but now also love blues you should check out Gary Moores work in the 90's. Listen to the album Still got the Blues. I just love his tone and playing.

And of course you should listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan too.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Cool vid there, OWA. Korn is just a little bit more metal than what I usually listen to, but I still like them pretty well. Seen them live a couple of times and they definitely put on a good show. Gilmour still does that solo better though. ;)

And yeah, Gary Moore rocks too. I think I like the Nightwish version of this song even better though. Nightwish is Definitely Not Blues though.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Maybe you need to go back to the roots and work your way up. . .

Start with Led Zeppelin

then Deep Purple

then Black Sabbath

and Uriah Heep

Move on to Motorhead, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest

that takes you up to the 80's where things splinter into sub-genres

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And yeah, Gary Moore rocks too. I think I like the Nightwish version of this song even better though. Nightwish is Definitely Not Blues though.

TZ

Not sure if I'd call either version the blues. Wicked song though, both version.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4