Notifications
Clear all

The Truth

52 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Gary Moore does play the blues though: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gPodhXUsSTI I've got his 'the blues' double-cd with live jams with the Kings, fantastic mix between oldschool blues and his hi-gain stuff.

edit: woot, found it online, a MUST-see! http://youtube.com/watch?v=lqAuuIDU2sw&mode=related&search=

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Led Zeppelin's a little too late to be the root of "heavy metal," a term first used by and applied descriptively to Steppenwolf. Iron Butterly would have to be in there too, I think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Actually The First Time The term "Heavy-Metal" Was used, it was guided upon "Alice Cooper" in rolling-stone magazine. :)

(Having Being That our local classic rock station is hosted by alice cooper himself, and watching VH1 I learned that..)

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

He might've said that, but it was used of Steppenwolf before Alice Cooper's time.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Led Zeppelin's a little too late to be the root of "heavy metal," a term first used by and applied descriptively to Steppenwolf. Iron Butterly would have to be in there too, I think.

Black Sabbath as well. They were what I would consider the first real heavy metal band. And while I wouldn't call Cream a heavy metal band, they were a major influence on a lot of heavy metal bands.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I always thought it was the Kinks and 'You Really Got Me'...

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think Ric's pretty much right when he says the actual term "heavy metal" was first used in regards to Steppenwolf.....they even mention the phrase on BTBW....but these days, You Really Got Me is thought of as the prototype heavy metal record (1963, five years before Steppenwolf).....but for an even earlier peep into the future, take a listen to Link Wray's "Rumble" from 1958....then imagine that played through a modern set-up....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, Link Wray rocked!

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Blues is really the basic foundation of 3/4th's the music out there.. rock, jazz, R&B, soul, etc, etc.. you can't go wrong with blues. Stuff like Led Zeppelin is heavily rooted in some of the blues tenants, you can hear it. Then you have groups that pick up on Zeppelin and they're heavily rooted in the same type of stuff. It's kind of watered down, but the spirit remains the same.

Buddy Guy has always been the key connection between blues and rock, but when Stevie Vaughan came around he definitely closed the gap between the two.

I finally went out and got Electric Ladyland/Are You Experienced?/Bold As Love a couple weeks ago instead of just mooching off my parents' old record collection. Listening to that stuff on headphones.. you can get lost in it.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't call Led Zepplin a heavy metal band. Maybe they were way way back in the day, I don't know. But compared to what's out there now? Disturbed, Kittie, Godsmack, Seether? No.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Compared to what's out there now BB King wouldn't be R&B either. Doesn't mean he isn't.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

When I hear them, I don't think heavy metal. Most of the rock bands I listen to are heavier than Zepplin.

I'm more inclined to say they aren't. It would be like me saying the game Duck Hunt has great graphics. If it were 1984 then yes it would. Does it have good graphics compared to today's standards? No.

Same thing with music. A band's sound may not change but labels do all the time. If I were to play in a band with a similar sound to Nirvana, Alice in Chains or Soundgarden(all of which are Grunge) I would be called post-grunge. Why? I have no idea. Same sound, different name.

No disrespect Arjen, not busting your chops, just stating my point of view.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Is that kind of like Robert Johnson doesn't play the blues because he doesn't play a Stratocaster like a lot of blues musicians today?

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Unfortunately , heavy metal music has come to be defined ( at least by the present generation ) as being lots of detuned guitars and unhappy/angst-filled/Satanic lyrics . Led Zepplin played heavy metal . Listen to The Immigrant Song , Rock and Roll , Communication Breakdown and tell me they didn't rock . They also played lots of blues and other more melodic songs . They weren't concerned so much with being a heavy metal band as they were with playing music that they liked . Maybe it explains why they still receive considerable airplay 30 years later . If you don't think heavy metal when you think of Led Zepplin , you don't know Led Zepplin .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm not saying you're wrong OWA, it's just a 'what's in a name' kinda thing. I'm a simpleton and I like to keep things simple, if someone makes new music we should think of a new name. If you keep changing the meaning of it things gets confusing. Which is why we invented dictionaries, which should give a reasonably well-accepted definition. In the case of 'heavy metal':
"energetic and highly amplified electronic rock music having a hard beat."

So what's rock music?
popular music usually played on electronically amplified instruments and characterized by a persistent heavily accented beat, repetition of simple phrases, and often country, folk, and blues elements

Ofcourse everyone is free to define words in their own way, it does mean that there isn't really a point in discussing it, as it's just a matter of personal opinions.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4