Clear all

Thinking of expanding

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm tempted t expand my musical horizons and learn the drums. Not for the sake of expansion, mostly because it looks fun. Of course my knowledge of the instrument is limited to "mostly because it looks fun" so I wanted to know a few things before I pursued this. First, I'd have to go with an electric drum kit due to my neighbours and need to know how much a decent one would cost. Second, is it any harder to learn the drums self taught than the guitar? Third, do drums need any additional accessories other than the kit. Last, can I use the drum sticks as weapons to keep the obsessed fans at bay?

Thanks for your help.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'd say something . . . but before I do . . .
I want to know if you're holding any drumsticks now . . . or some sharp (or even blunt) instrument.

Once smacked, twice shy,
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure drum-sticks are a very useful weapon for anyone with proper training, or in your case, motivation (justified or not).

I've also seen a couple people able to hold down a beat their first time behind a set. Not long before my ear and head did it's little number, my wife got behind them and played a few basic beats to some Stones songs. She did try to add some fills in, but that resulted in more of an eye safety issue than anything music related. She's recently decided that she wants to take up the skins, so we got some of those muting pads for 'em so that I can be in the same room. If we had not already had a set, we'd have looked for an electric set like you are. Also, i think you need to buy some sort of speaker, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I played percussion for a lot of years, and yeah - it's fun. I never had an electric kit - my practice set was Remo pads (a lot quieter than drums, but nowhere near silent) - so I can't help with cost figures.

Some of the mechanics would probably be easier if you took a few lessons, and it depends on how far you want to take it - four limb independence takes a lot of work if you want to do anything jazzy, and a teacher is a definite help there. At the very least, I'd try to talk to a drummer for two things: first, to get advice on stick grip - there are pros and cons to both traditional (left stick held between the thumb and ring finger) and matched grip (both held like you'd pick up a frying pan). Most band instrument teachers now teach matched grip, but when I was in school the opposite was true, so I ended up playing drums with the traditional grip. The other is how to control stick bounce - you'll need that for anything with a "roll". If you'll do any jazz, also pick somebody's brain on brush motion.

But if you're just going to bang out a 4/4 backbeat, you could probably do OK on your own.

Accessories? Yeah, drummers like gear just as much as guitarists do. Once you get going, you'll start drooling over catalogs and dreaming of sizzle cymbals, timbales, double action pedals. Oh, and more cowbells!

And if you eventually find you're a percussionist rather than a drummer, there's no end to GAS... vibes, castanets, claves, agogos, etc. A percussion education class in college might cover the basics of around 40 different instruments.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I'm tempted to expand my musical horizons and learn the drums. >>>is it any harder to learn the drums self taught than the guitar?

Gidday, Sunset...wondering where you'd gone off to!

Apples vs bananas as far as which is harder to learn...but...from what I've been told by some serious session drummers seems to be quite accurate: good drummers play "from the feet, up".

Look at a pro session, for example. The drummer (who hasn't heard ANY of the work yet) will just sit there and click for time. Then the feet get busy with sticks still just clicking for time. Then the chord changes get some stickwork as the changes are co-ordinated with accents over the skins...lastly...the ride.

!!! Poor drummers start with the ride: remember that!

!!! Co-ordinate the 6-string's pick hand with the drummer's feet. (How many times have I pointed this "no brainer" out here on GN???) This ESSENTIAL dynamic is what should underpin whatever it is you do.

If the Rhythm Section doesn't get you moving, then the rest of the composition will be as dull as anything...and no virtuoso...software...or prayer...will fix it! (Try dancing without your feet being involved!)

Good luck!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

All I can add to this is that the few times I've sat behind a drum set has been hilarious to everyone but me. I am not a drummer :shock:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all for your input.

What I've decided to do to save money and combine another instrument with my guitar is to take vocal lessons. This is all depending on what my schedule looks like. So far it's good but I'm up for a promotion so that could change.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote