Clear all

This kid is amazing! A must watch!

50 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@lava-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Recently spoke with his dad on the phone about cables. 10-years-old and a Blues Phemon!

Eddie Blue

Lava Man
http://www.lavacable.com

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I feel like I'm missing something here? Whats the big deal about him apart from the fact he's ten years old?

ReplyQuote
(@sticky)
Trusted Member

Whats the big deal about him apart from the fact he's ten years old?

I think that's the point right?

How do you know if a drummer is knocking on your door.....

The knocking speeds up.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I feel like I'm missing something here? Whats the big deal about him apart from the fact he's ten years old?

Apart from being 10 tears old he's playing a full scale Strat with fairly small hands. give him a few more years and he will be phenomenal. Hell, he's already better than I am :lol: 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Then what makes him the upcoming Blues Phemon (whats a Phemon anyway)? According to the link he has been playing for two years or so, and that is kinda what you'd expect after having seen the clip. He is doing nice but it's nothing spectacular or special. Being a great talent involves a tad more then playing a decent SRV cover, me thinks. At the very best he *might* have some talent but I can see no proof of that at all.

Not trying to be negative but the flood of 'prodigies' on youtube gets kinda boring.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

If I could play anywhere near that at the 2 years of playing mark I'd be REAL happy, gotta give the kid credit, hell at 10 years old I was prolly playing in the dirt with a stick...heh :)

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am with Arjen.Smashing up guitar vids by small children ? :Yawn:

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Oh come, on give the kid some credit! He's 10! When I was ten, I was playing GI-Joe in the woods with my pals. Playing guitar, especially a song like that, was pretty much like going to the moon. Not to mention getting up in front of people at that age (or any age). I think he did a great job.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

There is a difference between giving credit and hyping a kid. Ripping through Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concert at the age of six would be impressive. Playing a okay-ish blues guitar song at the age of ten is not. If it were we would have hundreds of millions of prodigies in this world. So yeah, he did nice, good for him, hope he continues with it. For the rest nothing special.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Pretty much...yeah.

That is pretty much a standard spot to be in after 2 years or so of playing, him being 10 doesn't make it more impressive. What is interesting is that if he keeps with it, he'll be the coolest kid in high school :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Is this an old thread with new dates on the posts?

I'm experiencing deja vu.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Well I'm impressed. Wish I could play that well. He looks so comfortable and at-home with it, too.

Wonder if any of the posters who think this is NOT an impressive accomplishment for a ten-year-old are parents themselves? I'm not trying to be snide, but I think someone who is not a parent may not have an accurate gauge of the relative immaturity of a ten-year-old.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I agree with Arjen. I don't see what is great about it. 2 years of playing, he is where I think he should be. He is good, theres no doubting that, but if a 25 year old in a club whose played for two years no one would be raving about him.

I don't agree with people thinking that kids are great because of there age. I've helped train a really young kid in karate. He had great technique when he was 10. It wasn't any different then a 16 year training though. He practiced, and thats why he was good.

Back to the guitar kid though, he's not doing anything near as good as SRV, so its not much more then a decent cover, I'm sure alot of people around here could pull it off too.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Well I'm impressed. Wish I could play that well. He looks so comfortable and at-home with it, too.

Wonder if any of the posters who think this is NOT an impressive accomplishment for a ten-year-old are parents themselves? I'm not trying to be snide, but I think someone who is not a parent may not have an accurate gauge of the relative immaturity of a ten-year-old.

Margaret
I seem to have a foot in both camps. I don't think he's amazing, but he is good, for his age.

Lift almost any stone, these days, and there's a geek underneath it, whether it be computers or music. Look around at how many "prodigies" there are - chess, music, gymnastics, you name it, there's a 6 or 7 year old beating all-comers. Look also at how many parents drive their children to do the things that they missed out on as kids (just think beauty pageants, in the US).

Not knowing his background, it's difficult to judge, but, I suspect that he's got little else than his guitar and his parents pushing him forward. Poor kid is missing out on the most important part of his life - his (first) childhood (I'm creeping up on my second :lol: :lol: ).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Even if it were not a 10 year old, this kid is very good for someone who has only been playing 2 years. I am sure he has had lessons from someone, most likely his Mom or Dad.

But it is easy for kids. They simply do not have the hangups that older players have. They really don't worry how good they are, or if someone is better. They don't think of things as difficult. It is us older players who worry ourselves to death.

I know I've written about this several times, but my 8 year old daughter has been taking piano lessons for one year now (started last October). She just blows my mind, plays hundreds of songs now, some pretty advanced. She has been playing The Entertainer by Scott Joplin the last two weeks. She has it down cold. She sight-reads as easily as we read a book. She doesn't even consider whether a technique is difficult or not, if the music says play it, she plays it. It is really that simple for her. And this is how kids are. She is doing so well she has played at several shows, and in fact, is off with her Mom playing at a show as I write this (I had to watch our youngest son). But she is just a very normal 8 year old girl. We are hoping to have my son start lessons next year. He is only 4 years old. So he should be pretty good too.

I wish I could have started young. I was always interested in music, but my parents didn't seem to notice.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4