Clear all

This kid is amazing! A must watch!

50 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Arjen said
According to the link he has been playing for two years or so, and that is kinda what you'd expect after having seen the clip.

If playing like this after 2 years is the normal.....I AM GIVING UP ! :!:

Keith

Giving up isn't really much good. There is some truth to what Arjen said. It is not uncommon for someone to play like that after two years. The amount of practice a young child can have in two years is huge. They can accomplish a lot in a little amount of time.

I know that after a year and a half of playing I could easily play blues songs similar to that one, Tight Rope, Cold Shot, Cocaine, and many others. I never thought they were above my level of playing, I just had to practice them.

I'm sure Keith, that if you practiced that song enough, you could play it just as well.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm not familar with the song he's cover but it's pretty good.

As for people that have problems with people not liking it.........too bad?

Really, there isn't anything you can do about it. People don't have to like anything. Normally if I come across someone who puts down a musician I like, and as a Nirvana fan, it happens a lot, I ask myself a few questions: Am I physically hurt by it? Do I still have a family to go to? Do I still have a house? A job? Does this affect my life in anyway? After that I just let it go, if it doesn't really do anything and life carries on, it's not worth worrying about.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hey Greybeard,

You are phemomenal.

I can't find a clip though.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

OWA...you are so lucky. Everytime someone calls Billy Joel a drunk, I lose my house and family :(

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Maybe it is only discipline and practice that make a "prodigy", but I have my doubts about that.

I've taught piano to a few kids over the years, and some have a natural affinity and some just don't. Those without, even if they practice double the hours, probably don't have the same ultimate potential as those with a natural "bent" for it.

When it comes to guitar I'm one of those "without", but I choose to chisel away anyway. I'm a sparrow who longs to be a cardinal. I'll always be a "wannabe". And for folks like me from the peanut gallery, this kid is something special.

From this video, we can't assume that he has parents who've pushed him, or that he spends hours every day practicing, or that he has no life other than guitar. For all we know, he's such a natural that for two years he practiced once a week for 20 minutes, and this is the result. We don't know anything about him except what we see there. Even that could have been doctored, for all we know.

The bottom line for me is that, if this "SRV-covering" kid were any one of our own kids, even you poo-poo-ers, we'd be mighty proud of him and touting his video all over the place. Tonight, he's my hero.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hey Greybeard,

You are phemomenal.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I can't find a clip though.
Did I say there was one? :wink:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Doggone it, I KNOW this thread is one of the living dead, arisen to consume the flesh of mortals.

Amen Rico ! The pirates of the dead are comin' up to smash this thread into the great waters of antarctica.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Amen Rico ! The pirates of the dead are comin' up to smash this thread into the great waters of antarctica.

Is is safe to go back in the water yet? :D

Wow what a diverse group of opinions.

Personally I don't think he was having any fun. He should try nursery rhymes.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

In response to Margaret, I agree somewhat. Some people have a natural incling, while others don't. But that doesn't mean you can't play at a high level; that's just a matter of practice. Push comes to shove, some people will always be better, but that doesn't diminsh from what you are capable of achieving. Its funny, I have a hard time leaving the old school of thought that - "you've got it or you don't" -, but every great player I've spoken with (Vai, Sonny Landreth, Ney Mello, Tom Hess) all say that there is no guitar gene out there floating around; they just practiced until they passed out! There was a recent article published (it was on here, I think, just a few days ago) that suggests natural ability does not relate to high levels of achievement in the long term. Pretty interesting reading, and I think there is something to it

I'm with Wes; he nailed it. adults have more mental hangups. I've seen this in many aspects of my own playing, its definately a testament to the power of the mind as a limitation and a potential enabler

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@metrognome)

Maybe it is only discipline and practice that make a "prodigy", but I have my doubts about that.

I've taught piano to a few kids over the years, and some have a natural affinity and some just don't. Those without, even if they practice double the hours, probably don't have the same ultimate potential as those with a natural "bent" for it.

When it comes to guitar I'm one of those "without", but I choose to chisel away anyway. I'm a sparrow who longs to be a cardinal. I'll always be a "wannabe". And for folks like me from the peanut gallery, this kid is something special.

From this video, we can't assume that he has parents who've pushed him, or that he spends hours every day practicing, or that he has no life other than guitar. For all we know, he's such a natural that for two years he practiced once a week for 20 minutes, and this is the result. We don't know anything about him except what we see there. Even that could have been doctored, for all we know.

The bottom line for me is that, if this "SRV-covering" kid were any one of our own kids, even you poo-poo-ers, we'd be mighty proud of him and touting his video all over the place. Tonight, he's my hero.

Margaret

I agree with Margaret. If that very talented and/or hard working young man was the child of some of the folks that thought it was just ok, they'd be the ones saying it was amazing ect...I think the people here who have children will be able to appreciate the performance allot more.

To me, that kid was great. Not just good. Great. He doesnt deserve just an ok or good. Just my two cents.

Practice, practice, practice.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If that was my ten year old, I'd already have him in some New Kids On The Block group making millions!

OK, not really but I thought that was great! He did look rather "thrown out there" though. That one guy kept pushing him out in front which kinda bothered me.

Kids are sponges. They learn quicker and don't have the "issues" adults have. As has been stated we worry about stuff too much which limits us to a degree. Kids just do it.

Anyway, kudos to that young fellow!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I thought the kid was being pushed a bit also, he didn't look all that happy to be there. The nine year old looked like he was having a lot more fun.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I remember we had pretty much the exact same discussion about a young kid who played on the Ellen Degeneres Show (couldn't find the video on youtube). Same discussion, different kid.I think many of the posts are pretty much exactly the same.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Margaret, some people are more "natural" at music than others. But I think the greatest ability any musician can have is desire. I remember reading an article about the Beatles many years ago that said George Harrison had a difficult time with guitar, he was not a natural, but he had tremendous desire. He was seen walking through the streets of Liverpool wearing his guitar. This was not to show off, he took every moment he could to practice. And George became an excellent guitar player, way underrated. So great desire is better than natural talent.

I would also be very proud of that 10 year old guitar player. :D

Check this kid out, he is only 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OFNSwfarc&mode=related&search=

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Oh my shattered nerves :lol: :lol: :lol: That reminds me of a clip I saw of the late great John Bonham teaching his son to play :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4