Thoughts on my site

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello all!

I've finished putting together a site for my students.
The real key functionality is going to be in the member area, where I'm going to upload audio recordings of their lessons each week so that they can hear what they did, as well as hear how I play examples for them.

But I'm trying to put other content on the site as well to try and keep the interested, and hopefully to generate some regional interest in my services.

I'd appreciate any feedback you might have to offer:

http://www.twincitiesguitar.com/

If you have any display issues, can you e-mail me a screenshot of what you see at [email protected]? Make sure you tell me what OS and browser version you're using.

Basically I'm just looking for whatever feedback I can get to make the site better.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Cool new site! You closed the old one, isn't it? I used to check if for new articles from time to time.

I just check some pages. No problems. They see correctly. I use OSX, Safari and Firefox, and I also can access with Linux. Do you want screenshots?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nope, if it's working well what I need to know.

If you have any feedback on layout, design, etc., that's always good too!

And yes, I closed the old site. I actually moved to a new hosting company due to a combination of slightly lower monthly rates and they actually have shell access.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

KP,

Looks good but I don't know if it's my PC setup or what but the right side wher you have Polls, it's overlaying something else.

Also below the page numbers on the bottom it Lists Results 4 of 6 etc. What does that mean?

Also under the article Soloists to Study. Seems to be the same paragraph/sentence repeated.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks cnev, I'll take a look at those things!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

One other thing it doesn't seem like the whole page is being used the block on the left doesn't overlay anything but it's about an inch indented from the left margin. Same problem with the right side block that I mentioned above which overlays other text. It could be my PC but no other pages/websites look like that on my PC.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I tried accessing the 'Dominant 7th Chords' article under Music Theory using firefox (XP) and it doesn't recognize the plugin being used. I tried accessing the same page using IE and it prompted an install for 'Sibelius Scorch'. Looks like an activex component? Might be an issue if you plan on delivering lot of lessons using that.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I tried accessing the 'Dominant 7th Chords' article under Music Theory using firefox (XP) and it doesn't recognize the plugin being used. I tried accessing the same page using IE and it prompted an install for 'Sibelius Scorch'. Looks like an activex component? Might be an issue if you plan on delivering lot of lessons using that.

It is an activeX component, but there is a Mac plugin that works under firefox on macs . . . so i'd think under windows it'd be fine.

In any case, the same data is available as a pdf from a link in the article.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

It is an activeX component, but there is a Mac plugin that works under firefox on macs . . . so i'd think under windows it'd be fine.
Scorch has worked for me for years on a Mac under all browsers. IE, Safari...install and forget... :)
Edit: I installed it in order to take advantage of musicnotes.com. If it only worked on Macs they would have gone under long ago!

Don

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, for those that were having a problem with the css alignment (the middle content overlapping on the right hand column) I THINK I've got that fixed . . .

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Scorch has worked for me for years on a Mac under all browsers. IE, Safari...install and forget... :)
Yep! :D

I have a couple of issues:

- When you select the PDF view, the graphics are not included (for example, as in the harmony lesson).
- In the last paragraph of the ear training lesson, I get some nonsense characters, perhaps I'm using a Spanish environment, but I don't get troubles in other pages or sites.
- The font size could be too small comparing it with other sites (this one, for example). It isn't a problem to me. Just a comment.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

- When you select the PDF view, the graphics are not included (for example, as in the harmony lesson).

This is something that's confusing and I'm considering just abandoning that button ... it generates a PDF of the article -- the scorch plugin data is a separate and isn't included. I have a link in each of the articles with a scorch music sheet of the music in pdf format as well.
- In the last paragraph of the ear training lesson, I get some nonsense characters, perhaps I'm using a Spanish environment, but I don't get troubles in other pages or sites.

Nope, those were garbage characters. They're gone now.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

This is something that's confusing and I'm considering just abandoning that button ... it generates a PDF of the article -- the scorch plugin data is a separate and isn't included. I have a link in each of the articles with a scorch music sheet of the music in pdf format as well.
Yes, I agree. You always can use the "print" button and "print/save as PDF" that page. I guess the system filters the links in the page and only gets the text.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I have exactly the same problem on that page too, both on Firefox and IE 6 (on Windows XP).
With IE (set to allow installation of ActiveX) downloading Scorch after the prompt didn't work either - it said something like
"Scorch failed to install correctly (activeX only)"
Maybe that's a problem, my side.

Another problem is INTERVALS. The images look fine on that page but when I click on the big one at the bottom, it opens in a new window, but some of the staff lines are missing. (My screen resolution, in case that's relevant, is 1024X768).
Everything else I looked at seems fine.

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I tried to vote in the poll and got the message 'cookies must be enabled'. They definitely are. I am using the latest Firefox but got the same message in IE.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2