Clear all

Ibanez RG ??

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello all! I've been playing acoustic guitar for about a year now.. I would still definitely consider myself a beginner as I am self taught and have learned only a few songs.. but it seems as though GAS has hit and I want an electric. I've been looking around online and talking to friends and they said to drop between 300-600$ on a guitar if I am serious about learning how to play and the Ibanez RG series has caught my eye. Especially the RG 4 which comes in @ ~$450. Could anyone tell me if they have had any experience with the RG series at all? Even info regarding the RG 3 (has no tremolo) or the RG 5 (not sure how it is different from the RG 4 besides cheaper and a reverse headstock) would be very helpful. I'm concerned with the tremolo more or less I guess. I've heard both sides.. that they can go out of tune in relatively short period of time and also that they will hold tune for days at a time (which is fine because I play at least once a day and tune every time). I just don't want to drop big money (for me anyways) on a guitar that will leave me frustrated in having to constantly tune during a playing session.. But I do like the idea of having a tremolo so..

Please give me your thoughts and also if there is another guitar you think may be better in that price range let me hear it! I'm sorry about the post length and am always open to all opinions.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

RG 5-series doesn't seem to appear on the Ibanez site, and if it's less expensive then it's probably a discontinued model. Looks like the same neck and same pickups, so you can save some $s there.

I do suggest you go out and play as many as you can before buying.

Sorry, I can't comment on the trems.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Brucie, what are you interested in playing? I tested a bunch of Ibanez guitars recently and was left a little flat from the experience. The necks felt a little plasticy to me. Just my opinion.

Anyway, if you are interested in heavy music with lots of tremolo, check out the Schecter BlackJack series. I believe they have a model with a Floyd Rose and they come stock with USA components.

In addition, I can't stress enough how great the Fender Korean-made Telecaster custom guitar are... top-notch playability with USA components (mostly). They will run you about $500 new. There is also the Lite Ash Fender Stratocaster and the Showmaster - both from Korea. These two have two-point tremolos which give you the tremolo action (more limited than the Floyd, though) with additional stability (won't go out of tune like a Floyd).

As a final note, the Gibson Faded SGs and the Fender Highway 1 series can both give you solid instruments at the $500 - $600 price point.

Have you thought about the amplifier yet? Don't forget that you'll need an amp and chord to play those electrics. Figure in another $100 - 200 for the amp.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I bought an Ibanez this summer and I LIKE it.

It's an Ibanez SZ520QM that cost me 600$ (I think I got a great deal cause on Internet, it's sold 1000$)

It may be too much for you, but Ibanez is a great choice for electric guitar if you want to pay between 400-500$ :)

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

RG 5-series doesn't seem to appear on the Ibanez site, and if it's less expensive then it's probably a discontinued model. Looks like the same neck and same pickups, so you can save some $s there.

I do suggest you go out and play as many as you can before buying.

I found the RG 5-series listed on musiciansfriend.com and I didn't even think to look @ the ibanez website ha.. I do plan on going to the local guitar shops here in town to buy but I've just been looking on the internet just to get an idea for prices and such.
Brucie, what are you interested in playing? I tested a bunch of Ibanez guitars recently and was left a little flat from the experience.

Have you thought about the amplifier yet? Don't forget that you'll need an amp and chord to play those electrics. Figure in another $100 - 200 for the amp.

I'm interested in playing all types of music I guess.. Some of the bands I've been attempting to mimic have been Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Metallica, AC/DC, Soil and stuff like that.. The acoustic is great for other stuff, but the heavy riffs just aren't the same on it haha..

And about the amp, my roommate has a couple nice amps that he said that he'd let me use until i saved more for an amp of my own.. He thought it would be better to spend the ~$500 on a nice guitar and save up more for an amp later than get a cheaper version of both which i think makes sense.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming guys I really appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Good idea on the amp... I'd put more money toward the guitar too.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote