Clear all

Top Ten Bands That Never Existed

42 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

There was Josie and the Pussycats

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Alice Bowie ("We're gonna be bigger than Ruben and the Jets!")

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What about the "babelicious" Cassandra and her band (from Wayne's World)? They only played for the movie so are they a band?
Is Schwarzenegger the Terminator? Nah, just a character in a "play" - as are cassandra and her band

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

The Blender Children from "Tapeheads" Starring John Cusak and Tim Robbins

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What about the "babelicious" Cassandra and her band (from Wayne's World)? They only played for the movie so are they a band?
Is Schwarzenegger the Terminator? Nah, just a character in a "play" - as are cassandra and her band

No he's not but then he's not really a robot (despite sounding like one in real life). However the actress playing Cassandra (Tia Carrere) did sing and play bass in the movie because she does so in real life. How is that any different than John Belushi playing the character of Jake Blues?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Are the guys who play the Alvin and the Chipmunks really a band? Is the only fake band one that never played any music - maybe a band only described in a book or a comic.

I'd say those guys might have been a band, but Alvin and the Chipmunks was a cartoon, I'm pretty sure the people who played the music (possibly different people on a regular basis) had a different name or maybe no name at all.

I think it takes more than getting on stage and playing a gig once to be a band, I'm not saying you have to get on stage more than once, but a band isn't just a bunch of people who played music together once, to me it's a concentrated effort to produce music as a group otherwise everyone who has ever played with anyone else has been in a band. I'm not entirely sure someone has to be doing anything musical at all to be in a band (they could be someone who just performs on stage in some fashion).

Really I think it only takes members of the band deciding they are a band for it to be a band, it takes other people to determine if they are worth seeing or not.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Well, I still think the Monkees weren't a band, so there!! :lol: But, I am willing to be democratic about it, especially since everyone disagrees with me - so I will concede to "real band" status for the Monkees, although I do it under protest.

Moving on... did anyone mention Stillwater yet, the band in the movie Almost Famous?

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

The Monkees were a real band, just not a real good one. Their final album was actually them. My wife saw Davy Jones a few years ago, the announced him as the greatest tambourine player in the world. He recently commented on a tour with The Monkees and remarked that he would never get together with them again, and that he could never be held responsible for what they did to other people. (?) What's interesting about them is how they used to "hang out" with the Bealtles. Mike Nesmith was present at the orchestral recording of "A Day in the Life" during the Sgt. Pepper sessions. You should see the movie "Head". Best thing they ever did.

Stillwater...that's a good one.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think that is some magic exists, and they (whoever, we'll use the Monkee's because it's a hot topic) decide that they should learn instruments and do their own songs, all the power to them. So what if the Blues Brothers were conjured up for a movie? If people like them, and they like being the Blues Brothers, go for it. What the heck? It takes all kinds of scenarios to get people together to do things. So what if it's different than starting off as a garage band? So what if they didn't have to pay the traditional dues? Be jealous, which is my right, but if the people on stage can play stuff people like, great!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

So what if the Blues Brothers were conjured up for a movie?

Actually it was an idea for Akaroyd and Belushi to just come out and sing some blues with the SNL band (one of the finest collection of studio musicians ever, btw). It wasn't really even a skit or a spoof, it was just stage characters but the goal was for them to go out and sing songs.

But otherwise, I agree. It was as real as any other band out there.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

How about Jimmy Thudpucker from "Doonesbury"!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

How about Jimmy Thudpucker from "Doonesbury"!

Good one. Supposedly based on Stephen Stills, right?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3