Clear all

Totally fed up......

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Man, it sucks, not being able to pick up a guitar and just strum a few chords. It's been 4-5 weeks now - and I literally can't pick up a guitar, I tore a muscle in my right shoulder.

My left hand still works OK - but oh, those callouses....they've gone SOFT! I'm used to having fingertips that can drum on tables - and sound like metal on glass - and use 'em as sandpaper when I'm painting anything.

Don't mind me, I'm just whingeing/moaning/whining - but it really is a royal pain not being able to pick up a guitar and play a few chords. Or even slide. I even have to drink left-handed!

Went to the doctor's yesterday - he gave me exactly the same advice he gave me a few weeks ago. Keep the sling on, and don't do anything to strain the shoulder. Another 3-4 weeks it should be fine.....

I an BORED out of my skull. I want to play guitar - and I can't. So - what am I doing in the meantime, I hear you ask? Playing a lot of air guitar with the left hand, and practising left-hand keyboard techniques - and I'll bet I can't put those rolling left-hand bass melodies together with a right hand melody or some chords when everything's better!

Fed up....really, really, really fed up! Lord, I'm looking forward to the day when I can play again......

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hang in there Vic ....... When it's over you won't even remember it happened.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I hope you're feeling better soon. Maybe use the down time to pick up some CDs or download some good music and soak up the work of the masters?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Come on, Vic! :D

I was injured many years ago. I wasn't a good moment in my life, I didn't run, too many problems and when all was starting again I had a problem in my right ankle. I had to use crutches. They were the longer two or three months in my life!

Follow the doctor's advices. Physical therapists can also help.

And meanwhile it is a great moment for reviewing some theory, ear training, and many things more. You also sing, you could practice and perform some exercises!

Hold on... it is your right shoulder, isn't? Practice tapping! It is an amazing technique and it will keep your callouses up for the next month!

And we also have the football match the next Wednesday!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Can you play lap style? Or Jeff Healey style?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I feel for you Vic. :(

Hang in there bro! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ow. sorry to hear Vic.
injury and the time it takes to heal is torture.
I feel your pain.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Can you play lap style? Or Jeff Healey style?

That's what I've been doing, the last few weeks. Guitar on lap, slide on 1st finger. I actually learned to play "No Expectations" - the old Stones song - that way, when I didn't have an acoustic with a cut-away. Trouble is, I soon get bored playing that way. I love playing slide - but first and foremost, I'm a rhythm guitarist who like playing chords. I like to be able to sing along with what I'm playing.....and if I'm playing songs I know, and can play the rhythm part in my sleep, then singing's fairly easy.

Oh well - another few weeks, I'll be able to play again. It could be worse - well, no it couldn't, I can't play the bloody guitar like I want to. I'm so BORED more than anything - song comes on the radio, I think, "Hey I can play that! Where's the guitar!" - then it hits me, I CAN'T play the guitar 'cos I've got a stupid sling on my shoulder...but at least it's got me out of yet more painting!

Small mercies....and this weekend, I'm away for a few days - chance to catch up with some family I haven't seen for a while at a wedding. So, taking a break, recharging batteries....there's always a positive side!

The glass is half-full.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I hope the few weeks go by quickly for you. Sucks. Stay strong, bro!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I WILL be back - it's just a real pain in the you-know-what at the moment, not being able to play. Hey, there's one guy here, only got one arm - the other was ripped off in a traffic accident. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48252 - after reading that, I feel like a real wimp, you know? Moaning at a little misfortune - makes you thankful for what you've got. 1armbandit's still playing - an inspiration to us all, and a reminder to me to shut up and stop moaning about little things and see the big picture.

Still p'd off that I can't play....but not half as p'd off as I would be if I could never play again.

"I'll be back!"

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It's perfectly fine to blow off a little steam. Everyone deals with stuff. Just because someone has a mightier plight than you does not diminish the fact that you are injured. With all due respect to him, and there is much of it (...I mean, DANG....) you are having a go of it and that's that. Stop diminishing your right to grouse a bit, eh? Besides, anyone over 50 has that right regardless of injury. :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic hope the healing process is working out. I'm suprised though that a torn muscle doesn't require surgery. I guess it would depend on the location of the injury some like rotator cuff injuries never really heal themselves because there is such little blood flow in the area.

I've been dealing with a torn rotator cuff for a few years now and it'll act up sometimes to the point that I can't move my arm at all but that is usually a very short amount of time. The problem is the surgery requirs such a long recovery 7-9 months and I really don't want to stop playing for that long. It bothers me more when I play basketball which a do 2-3 times a week but even then it doesn't hurt like it used to it's bearable.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Turns out the muscle wasn't torn, just badly strained - doc says another couple of weeks, I can take the sling off and start playing again. That's the good news. The bad news? Well, for once, there isn't any! Happy, happy, happy!!!

There really isn't anything I hate worse than being laid up with an injury - I LOATHE not being able to pick up my guitar and play, just like yesterday (as a great man once said) but, for once, I really am going to be sensible and listen to the doc's advice. He's a pretty good bloke, and fairly young (well, about 20 years younger than me!) and got fairly good taste in music, too - but it really is a pain the proverbial not being able to pick up a guitar and just play. 'Specially with all the lovely weather we've had this week, man, I LOVE sitting in the sunshine and playing guitar.....

But hey, it won't be long now, and in the meantime I'm just spending my time listening to some great music via the TV and youtube...and wondering what I should work out next!

As Arnie once said, I'll be back!

SOON, I hope!.......and thanks for all your good wishes. Always nice to know you've got a few friends rooting for you!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Glad you'll be back to playing soon mate.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Great news! :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2