Clear all

Tube Amps - Scheduled Maintenance?

42 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Gee ... I understood Roy perfectly. :? Should I be worried or not? :lol:
Not gonna send em anywhere but if your ever in the area ......
You do know I was kidding, I hope. :D
Yes Roy, I know you are kidding. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I'd be worried. :lol: :lol:

So the wait to get my amp is getting smaller and smaller.

My son will bring me there in his car after he wakes up and does his hour-long routine of becoming conscious and aware of his surroundings. I remember that age. I'm pretty sure the world was black and white for the first 15 minutes after waking or otherwise coming to. The place opens at 1:00 PM, but he's still sleeping in as of 12:10. He must have had a really long night of tiring quests in the x-box live world. I'm thinking I don't wake him for another hour. I might have to bribe him with food.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea my kids are still on afternoon time for waking up. I used to be the same unfortunately once I got in the real world and had to get up for work that all changed.

The youngest is the least offender she usually is up pretty early the older two are worse with the middle one being the longest sleeper. I think she can sleep all day.

Actually getting back to this amp and maintenance you know how I haven't really liked my Hot Rod Deluxe. Well the other guitar player also has a couple of them and his normal setup is to bypass the HRD speakers and go into a Marshall half stack.

Well he had a show Friday with his other band and was running that way and I still have to say I wasn't a big fan of the sound. It wasn't bad but it still sounds a bit thin to me. We haven't talked about it but I know he feels the same way about them.

There must be some mods out there to beef up the sound on those things.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

There must be some mods out there to beef up the sound on those things.
I wonder if it's not worth it to just cut your losses and sell it or trade it with someone who has what you like, but wants what you have instead? I like the HRD. It came in second to BDRI when I was amp hunting in 2007.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have the Marshall that is much better. there was an HRD on Craigslist almost like new the guy wanted only $200 for that price I was thinking of getting it and try to resell or mod it

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm seeing a lot of those mid-sized tube amps up for grabs at low prices around here as well. Nothing as good as $200, but some very good prices, none-the-less. BDRIs and HRDs for $350, Devilles as low as $400, etc. I think people got them and realized that they get LOUD, even at low volumes. Too loud, in many cases. They've been dropping since last Spring, around here anyhow.

I know someone who gigs with a HRD and the only time he gets it to 7 is for outdoor gigs.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The volume isn't the issue I like loud and the Marshall which is 50W compared to the HRD's 40W gets plenty loud just has a much better tone at least to me anyway.

I've never taken the thing home yet fromt he guy I bought it from cuz we practice there but someday I will. I don't have a lot of time when we practice to play with the settings. Plus it's heavy and lugging it up and down basement stairs is not fun.

I wanted a smaller amp but actually that wouldn't have helped much since the other guy always plays through the half stack and I would never get heard anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Carrying amps isn't much fun. I make my son do it when I have the chance. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So, the amp issue is all good. We got it yesterday, but didn't feel like messing with it until just now. Everything is a good bit cleaner, but the overdrive channel really cleaned up well. There was a lot of unwanted noise before.

My anal one thing at a time pedal addition party went well except for one patch cable. Closer inspection revealed a nice big split in the cable coating right next to the jack end. Apprantly effects loops don't like that. :roll:

total for 3 pre and two power tubes installed, diagnosis and a general look over came to $126. I don't know how good or bad it is, but I like the results, and that matters the most.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd say that was a good deal, at least you know it was done by someone competent.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think it would be easy to blow $100 on tubes even if you get cheap ones.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Both excellant points, cnev and TR.

I hope he's making enough to stay in business. It appears that it's been a shop for a while. :D

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd have to look back when I changed my tubes (I'm not much of a record keeper) I replaced all 5 for something like $130 or so. I had a buddy change them so it was only the price of the tubes.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3