Clear all

Used Guitar Info needed - Ibanez AEF28CS

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have two questions, and this is probably not the right forum, but I looked and I didn't see a better one - so...

I think I might like a better acoustic guitar.

Question 1: Does an acoustic guitar sound better than a acoustic/electric guitar of the same setup. I assume it makes no difference - but it does not hurt to ask.

Question 2: I am looking at a used Ibanez AEF28CS acoustic/electric, vintage 2000 - 2002. To assist me in a decision, can anyone tell me what the original sale price was. (Not the over inflated one - the typical price of sale at GC or MF) Also, what current model is equal in materials and construction?

Question 3: My guitar repair guy tells me that the guitar in the $200 Fender value pack (DG-8S) is equal in value to Fender guitars selling at $250 based on materials and construction. The carry bag and tuner being an additional value above that. I also SUSPECT that value packs have a higher gross profit as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all your help,

F/B in beautiful Wentzville, MO

(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member

Hey there Fender-Bender, not that I can give you specific answeres to your questions but what I would suggest and maybe you have already is look at the materials your guitar is made of. On my qwest of looking for a good acoustic guitar after being bombarded with different makes and models I finally just really looked at the type of wood, solid not laminate and so forth. How does it sound and feel to you, of course the internet is invaluable as a research tool. Good luck and happy strumming. :D

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Answer 1- Does it sound better is a very relative question. You'll need to go and play/listen to both to see what you like best. Some guitar purists will tell you that if you want "the best" sounding acoustic guitar, you should not get an electric/acoustic because the electronics and wire inside will corrupt the sound. I have a Taylor 414ce electric acoustic and I love it. The sound is great, it resonates beautifully and has great tone. As mentioned, the woods will make a difference in tone, but in the price range you stated, I think your options will be limited. If you want/need to plug your acoustic into an amp, by all means look at the electric acoustics.

Answer 2: The used guitar is worth what someone will pay for it. You can do some research and find that answer quickly. Look for other guitars in your price range. Play as many as you can to find what you like best. Sound, fit and feel.

Answer 3: I think most on this site would say, look to Answer 2. You have to look into the value of the guitar and package you may purchase. If you trust and have a gopod relationship with your local guitar shop, then ask more questions. Question why that is true and what other guitars are in the price/quality range. They may have a limited selection, so realize that the answers may be based on what they have in stock. When I bought my 12 string, the salesperson said that the one I was interested in was the best around (compared to the others they had in stock) But could not/would not speak to a Yamaha, which, they did not have at the time.

Take your time, play many guitars. There will be many to choose from even if you don't buy one tomorrow. :)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@fender-bender)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

For the benefit of those who may come behind me, here are the answers I found:

1. I think Blueline is correct; only purists will have an issue with an acoustic vs. acoustic/electric.

2. After looking all around for the Ibanez guitar original retail MSRP answer, I first; did not find it, and second, found a different guitar to buy.

3. The guitar specifications for the guitar in the DG-8 Fender value pack more closely match the $179 CD-100. The $249 DG-100 has more solid woods and finishing touches. It took me awhile to research the answer. That is why I was hoping there was a "Fender Expert" here.

A little bit after looking at the DG-8 value pack at the store, one came on Craigslist for $150, and we settled on a final deal at $125. We met at my guitar store and the guitar tech deemed it in "brand new condition."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You may not have run into this, depending on the guitars you're looking at, but another thing to consider with acoustic/electrics is the depth of the body of the guitar. Because the manufacturers assume you're going to be plugging in, many acoustic/electrics have narrower body depth, which can cause them to sound, pardon the pun, a bit shallow when not plugged in. So if you're going to be playing a lot of straight acoustic, this might be something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gary_hutchings)

You can hear the guitar here :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlWXIYwLYts

I bought my on sale for $550. Original owner. Perfect guitar for me.. State and recording, it has always been there for me :D

ReplyQuote