Clear all

volume pedal opinions

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i need some opinions on which volume pedal to buy,i think i want a morely vol/wah,its the only one i have used,it was good but i've heard they go noisey after a while.dunlop one looks pretty good too

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've always liked Morley, in fact the only volume pedal that has lasted with me is an antique Morley from the seventies. Built like a tank. And for it's age, it's really quiet and smooth, Really simple wiring, consists of a stepdown transformer and a light. (Runs on 110V) The actual instrument side is just a light sensitive resistor and a piece of material connected to the pedal.

The way it works is when you turn it on, it lights a light. When you move the pedal, it unmasks the light and lets the light shine on the LS resistor and the volume goes up and down according to the position of the pedal. The advantage is that you have no pots that get dirty and noisy.

I think Morley uses a similar tech. today.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For a passive (unpowered) pedal, the one to get is the Ernie Ball ... hands down. There are several models and all are rated very highly by industry reviewers (and this user) for build and no coloration t the sound (a.k.a. tone sucking). Just be careful to choose the correct model -- either for passive pups or active pups. Again, all E.B. volume pedals are passive, but the Ernie Ball 'active' and 'passive' connote for which type pick-up the pedal is designed -- basically the pot value. As Racetruck mentions above, pots are known to become noisy with age and use. E.B. sells pot replacements, and the pedal is built to allow access for replacement. E.B. even offers a refurnishment service.

For active pedals, the industry champ is the George Dennis GD020, which GP mag gave named its active volume pedal Pick in 2005. GP also tested Morley, Boss, Behringer, Vox and Ernie Ball pedals -- the Ernie Ball VP Junior won the passive pedal 'Pick' award.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@soundsgood)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the replys 8)

gibsonSG standard/gallagher"doc watson" acoustic

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

the Ernie Ball VP Junior won the passive pedal 'Pick' award.

Awsome! I own that one. It seems to work really well for me.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote