Clear all

What do you do well?

38 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok. So we as guitar players are used to falling into the " I suck" rut. Well eaven the worst of us do SOMETHING right. So what's the thing you feel you do real well?

Ill start...... Ok so I'm still a beginner. I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years, but took a year off after the first year. ( bad illness, then my Mom passed, and REALY lost a lot of focus with a lot of stuff.) so I'm still not good, but I DO think I put a LOT of heart, and feeling into my playing. I think I do good with phrasing,'and allowing the music to breath

So what about the rest of you?

Paul B

(@130unstopablewatts)
Eminent Member

I'm very good at playing rythem and lead chords while singing I am not good at solos and crazy scale runs up and down the neck and can't even attempt sweep arpegios but I can hit chords all day and do open changes which I enjoy keep practiceing that's what I do

Its 109 miles to chicago

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

rhythm. delta blues. rock leads.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I'm really excellent at exaggerating my musical ability in forum posts . Once I perfected that, I really didn't need much else online... :wink:

Oh, and I'm also pretty talented at buying more gear when I haven't learned how to use the last lot properly yet. I seem to keep quite a reasonable chunk of the local music businesses smiling. That has to count for something.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

PROCRASTINATING ! ! ! !

Fair dinkum I have a $1,000 worth of books most of them looked at once... heaps of YouTube instructional videos, I just seem to accumulate all this "instructional" material but never put it to good use .... argggggggggggggggggggggggggg.....

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:

Oh, and I'm also pretty talented at buying more gear when I haven't learned how to use the last lot properly yet. I seem to keep quite a reasonable chunk of the local music businesses smiling. That has to count for something.

Chris
Im with you on that!!!! Im my 3 1/2 years I have went from a borrowed strat, to a Epi LP, a old epi accustic, a lap steel I built, and for the kids I built up a cheapy strat, redid a cheap 1/2 scale accustic, and got my oldest a 3/4 scale Fender Hello Kitty strat. ..... add to that two amps, a handfull of pedeals, and boxes of parts, tools, strings, books, cables....etc etc.....

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

What do I do well? I enjoy myself while playing. There need not be anything more.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I learn quickly.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@big-lar)
Estimable Member

What do I do well? I enjoy myself while playing. There need not be anything more.

True 'dat!

I have a good "feel" for the rhythm of a song. My strumming sounds and feels very natural. Precision? That I'm still working on.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I fake being a musician REALLY, REALLY well! Most of the time I even sound like I know what I'm doing!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

+1

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@johnny-lee)
Trusted Member

I'm pretty good a coming up with neat stuff on guitar that sounds interesting. Not a super technical player, but I can get really creative sometimes.

My writings on playing guitar => No B.S. Guitar

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR that's a good one, can't say that is always the case for me, it's more like golf, if I'm having a bad round of golf I'm not having any fun, same with guitar if I don't play well (relatively speaking) I don't have fun.

I'm really not sure I do anything well and I'm not trying to be funny or bashing myself I'm just trying to be honest. I think maybe I do several things OK but I'm not sure I do anything well.

Oh yea I forgot I can count pretty good.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I play saxophone really well, when I was in school, I was first in the All-state band every year that I was eligible to enter. In addition, I was appointed the section leader while playing tenor sax. The section leader goes to the first alto player by default so it was quite a coup to get section leader. But that was many years ago, the new kids probably play better now than I did then. I still play for a living so I must be doing something right ;-)

I play wind synth really well. I've fooled guitarists and trumpet players into thinking a guitarist and trumpet player was sitting in with our duo.

I play guitar adequately. Actually quite good for the amount of time I've been doing it, but then it's my 7th instrument and I carried a lot of baggage with me from the other 6.

I write Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith styles really well. Over 97% that buy one come back for more.

I do self-confidence well, and I think that's important. For those having a problem with your self confidence, don't tell yourself you suck, just realize that you are on a learning curve. A learning curve that will never end. Even if you live to be 100 and practice 8 hours a day from now until then, there will still be new things to learn. Just think of how much you have learned, how much better you are than you were last year, and set your sights on the next height in the learning curve.

If you think you are bad, you will play badly. If you think you are getting better, you will get better.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you think you are bad, you will play badly. If you think you are getting better, you will get better
i've often found the opposite to be true. sometimes i'll lay down a track that i think was great, and it's totally lifeless, and other times i'll feel like i'm completely stuck in a rut, and i hear a recording and i've made huge strides. playing and listening are two very different experiences.
i don't know how it is for everyone, but how i feel about my playing is generally more related to my physical and emotional state at that particular time than any so-called "objective viewpoint". how i am actually playing pretty much only depends on how much i have been playing. so regardless of anything else, i know that as long as i keep plugging away at it, i'll get better at it, even if i absolutely hate it one day or love it another.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3