Clear all

What to buy: new guitar

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Hello Folks,

My name is Alfonso. New to this forrum. I've been trying to teach myself guitar now for about 2 years on-and-off. mostly off. Up until these past two weeks, I was getting no where it seemed like, but now I finally feel like I'm making some progress. So that's where I am...many questions to post.

The question I would like to post now is...what "dream" guitar to buy. I currently have a Takamini Jasmine. So, somehow i started looking into Martins. I had heard about the HD28 and its backgorund so when I went to guitar center I played an HD28VE among other martins. This thing sounded AWESOME, hands down it was the best sounding (to me) even compared to a few more expensive ones.

So the question is: what other guitars should i consider in this price range? Also, how important is it to purchase the guitar with built-in electronics? Is it just as good to install the electronics later? The music I would play on it is classic rock, mostly..eagles, kinks, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I look to be learning a lot from you guitar guru's. I know that the best thing I can do to sound better is to improve my skills...I realize this is most critical. But having a nice tool like the HD28VE helps too.

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Hey BrokenE, welcome to guitar noise :)

Is there any particular reason you are set on an acoustic? For classic rock, most of these bands/songs used overdrive and electric guitars. The Who, the Stones, The Beatles, Kinks, Cream, Clapton, Hendrix, Doors, etc etc. That's not to say they didn't use acoustics too.

What I'm trying to say is the acoustic guitar is limiting in that regard. With an electric you can play clean or dirty, and frankly when you want that acoustic sound, ya just put it on the clean channel and it makes due. For that price range you could get a top of the line Stratocaster and a really nice amp, or even a best of the best Les Paul and a very decent amp, or a pretty darn good PRS and a decent amp.

If you were to get an acoustic though, I would definitly recommend an acoustic-electric. This way you'll have the option of plugging in right away - and the HD28VE looks great.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome, Taso. I do want to eventually get into electrics too, but i thought that acoustic takes more finger placement discipline. So I thought I would start there.

I was really looking for alternative suggestions to the HD28. When I heard it, I was immediately crazy about it. Am i crazy? $3000 is a lot of money for me, but some things are worth it. I guess I'm trying to find out if the HD is really worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@shoo-head)

Thanks for the welcome, Taso. I do want to eventually get into electrics too, but i thought that acoustic takes more finger placement discipline. So I thought I would start there.

I was really looking for alternative suggestions to the HD28. When I heard it, I was immediately crazy about it. Am i crazy? $3000 is a lot of money for me, but some things are worth it. I guess I'm trying to find out if the HD is really worth it.

An acoustic does take a little bit more finger strength, but if you like electrics, and plan on playing an electric- buy an electric to learn with. The carry-over works both ways, I've never been able to play anything on an electric that I couldn't play on an acoustic, as far as the finger discipline / strength is concerned. ( However you can take that last sentence as two-grains of salt, because I can't play that much on either one. :( )

Don't get caught up in the technical mumbo jumbo-learn it, respect it, but don't let it constrain you. Music is human expression at it's finest, and we definitely don't all feel the same.

ReplyQuote
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Thanks Shoo Head. What decent electric and amp do you recommend? I am OK with my entry level acoustic, but I wish I had spent a little more money. Some notes sound buzzy...and yes I'm sure my technic was good. So I don't want make the same mistake with another guitar or equipment.

So you can't play too much on either...don't wory. I am sure your better than me. What's important is to keep at it. Someone said it's about the journey. I think it applies here.

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I would definitely consider a higher end taylor (since you are in the D-28 price range) I would take a long look at a 410 or even a 710. Awesome guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

Welcome BrokenE!

There are so many alternatives to the Martin HD28 out there, and there are many that could be considered equal in sound....if not, then everyone would be playing the Martin's and they are not.

Now, thats not to say that you shouldnt get one. Getting the twinkle in your eye for your "dream guitar" is great, and it will only get you more excited to play. If the Martin is your dream guitar, and you have the means, get it, and love it. Everyone should be playing their dream guitar, or at least flirting with it in the store every now and then.

Since you asked for alternatives though, and started talking electrics too, you could get a great acoustic/electric, a great electric, and a really nice amp for the same money as the HD28V.

As for Acoustics, If it was my money, I would find everything in my price range and play them all, several times, before choosing one.

Guild makes some great guitars and I think others here will agree. They even have some chinese made models (GAD for Guild Acoustic Design) for much less that are all solid wood and sound fantastic (i own the GAD JF30 and I love it, love it, love it. it was $800). The american guilds are very very nice though.

I like gibsons too, particularly the jumbo's, J45, J200, etc. (maybe $2k - $2500 for these)

Definitely look at the Taylors (as mentioned before).

You may even want to look into the smaller custom shops (ie. SantaCruz, although I don't know how much these are). Also not sure if Collings offers anythign in that range, but they are really, really nice too.

All of this said, take all advice with a grain of salt, and spend as much time shopping as you can without pulling the trigger on one.
It will be time well spent. You may find something that you love much more than the Martins. Then again, you may find that you love the Martin's even more. Either way, one things for sure, you'll have fun doing it.

good luck

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

If that is the reason you're thinking acoustic instead of electric, I have to say I heavily disagree with this "myth" about acoustic guitars being better to learn on.

For more, and out of laziness, I'll point you here:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=32370&highlight=acoustic

But basically, both electric and acoustic have benefits to learning on, neither makes much of a difference in the long run - most who can play excelently on electric can do the same on an acoustic, maybe with just different tone.

If you want the acoustic for other reasons, that's a totally different story.

But given the music you said you like, and assuming you are serious about the instrument and don't plan on quitting soon, I would have no problem recomending a

Fender Stratocaster Deluxe
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster?sku=511142

and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Amp?sku=480510

Note: I don't own a stratocaster, nor am I a fan really, but given the music you like, it sounds perfect. I do own the amp though, and I love it.

Total would be around 1800 if you bought it off the website, which I don't recommend. You can bargain with real people :P But give these a try at guitarcenter and see if you like them at all.

ReplyQuote
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Welcome BrokenE!

There are so many alternatives to the Martin HD28 out there, (GAD for Guild Acoustic Design) gibsons Taylors custom shops (ie. SantaCruz, although I don't know how much these are). Also not sure if Collings offers anythign in that range, but they are really, really nice too.

good luck

Brian,
First of all, where is Frisco, Texas??? And, thanks for the welcome and for the suggestions. I guess asking which guitar to buy is a little like asking who's the best looking girl out there. To each, his own. What I like the about the HD28VE is the deep, rich, high volume sound. Just wondering what other guitars might be similar. Right now, i can't play well enough to do a comparo, so for now, I will keep learning until I can. On the other hand a guitar like that is like an heirloom that will hold its value (not that I would sell it) and be a really neat thing to pass on down, so why wait? Oh yeah,...the impression i get about martin is that they seem to put the money into the guitar, not the cosmetics of making it look good. Of course you do pay for the name.

ReplyQuote
(@brokene)
Topic starter  

Taso,
Thanks for the links. The Fender amp, axe seem to be really well liked. You guys are making a really strong argument for buying an electric. I know a little about acoustics, but know nothing about electrics, so please educate me. You recommend a Strat, is a Les Paul very different sounding than a strat? Can you point me to info I can read to understand what guitars are used for what types of music? Much appreaciated!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The Les Paul is very different then the strat, yes.

In most opinions, the Les Paul has a fat, creamy kind of tone. Whereas the Strat is thin.

Strats are generally considered the most versatile guitar, they're good for

Blues, Funk, Country, Rock, Pop, Punk Rock - the only thing they are slightly <VERY slightly less good at, in my opinion of course, is jazz. Think John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray, Knopfler, some Clapton, although his guitar is so different from a normal Strat that it sounds more like a Les Paul to me)

The Les Paul, which is the love of my life (and I'm being objective :P ) are great for blues, funk, rock, pop, punk rock, jazz. You get these very warm, smooth tones out of the neck pickup (pickup closest to the headstock), and very crunchy rocky type tones out of the bridge pickup (closest to..bridge). Think Slash, Santana, David Gilmour, (Note: these are not all Les Paul users, but I feel their tone exemplifies the Les Paul tone, either because their guitars are similar- humbuckers- or because of the effects on their amps)

One of the reasons for the difference in the tones is the type of pickup used on the guitars. The Strat has 3 single coil pickups, compared to the Les Paul's two humbucker pickups. Also, different wood for the body - Strat is I BELIEVE Ash (not 100% here) and Les Paul is Mahogony.

I use a Gibson Les Paul Classic with the Fender HRD amp and I find it to be a good combination - they sort of balance each other out well. You can check the link at the bottom of this post to hear how that sounds.

As far as other types of guitars, these are the two man archetypes I think. When I think metal, maybe I think Warlock or whatever it's called, or sometimes Ibanez. Jazz, I'd think of the Gibson ES. Country I automatically think of the Fender Telecaster. If "sexy" was a kind of music I'd think PRS.

Taso

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Alfonso,

First, welcome to GN!

Acoustics and electrics are two different instruments. I partially agree you can play both in a similar way, each one has different tecniques and sounds. You can play clean in your electric but it does not sound as an acoustic, you can play your acoustic through a pedal or something and it doesn't sound as an electric.

The body is also different, so the way in which you take them also is important. I'm a Les Paul user and it is a more than 4 Kg guitar, for its tone and sustain you need that wood. The Stratos are very good guitars and they are lighter. To me, I came from a nylon-string acoustic guitar, the Strato was so many light, I need something with more "body". However, probably my next guitar will be a Strato. (Currently I'm not thinking on a new guitar but everybody suffers GAS attacks from time to time.)

I also have a Martin and did a similiar question some months ago. The conclusion was "if you can afford, go for it". I'm very happy with it. Now I play my electric as an electric and my acoustic as an acoustic... I think I play more the acoustic. If you like the Martin 28, go ahead! As Ken told me: you and your guitar will grow together.

We can tell you some comments and advices on brands, guitars and type of music as Taso did, basically our experience, but you must think on what instrument do you want. One of the best advices I got some time ago (and also received again a couple of days ago) was "go to the store and play several guitars" and then your guitar will choose you, my Martina did it. ;)

Nuno

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member

BrokenE,

First of all, where is Frisco, Texas???

Frisco is a suburb about 25 miles due north of Dallas, but at the current rate of growth, Dallas may soon be a suburb of Frisco.
On the other hand a guitar like that is like an heirloom that will hold its value (not that I would sell it) and be a really neat thing to pass on down, so why wait?

I agree totally. If thats the one, then thats the one. A lot of people talk about buying vintage guitars, but if you buy the MArtin new, then play it for 25 years, then you have a vintage guitar that you've poured your heart and soul into for 25 years, and that is a truly special heirloom.

ps- tried to do the quote thingy on this post and not sure if I did it right.

B

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The Les Paul, which is the love of my life (and I'm being objective :P ) are great for blues, funk, rock, pop, punk rock, jazz. You get these very warm, smooth tones out of the neck pickup (pickup closest to the headstock), and very crunchy rocky type tones out of the bridge pickup (closest to..bridge). Think Slash, Santana, David Gilmour, (Note: these are not all Les Paul users, but I feel their tone exemplifies the Les Paul tone, either because their guitars are similar- humbuckers- or because of the effects on their amps)

Taso

Oh there goes your les paul love again, Taso. Just hope some Strat guy won't plummet you down now. Hello Gnease or Arjen ????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

*Checks basement* ...Gnease and Arjen are...slightly tied up, at the moment. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2