Clear all

What to do?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I might have a little bonus coming my way soon and though most of it will go towards holiday spending money for my Easter break in Portugal, I might be able to spare about £200 max for some new guitar toys. That'll pretty much be me for the year then :( . So what do I get?

A reasonable new bass to replace my Freshman P bass, which is OK but I'd just like something a bit 'nicer'. Squier J/Ibanez GSR or similar or;

An Epi VJ and a couple of stomps (OD and reverb/delay) for some nice tube tone (though I do love my Vox AD30 chrome) or;

A squier Tele custom (P90's).

I currently have my Lovely Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, the Ovation Legend and the Freshman P Bass, a Vox AD30 and a Marshall MB15. I dont really play out much just noodle at home, though I really do plan to get going on a few gentle jams soon, honest. No pretensions to ever gig or anything. I just dont know........

I really like my Vox, works well at all volumes, I have a very few fav settings (usually set it up for 3 channel operation using the footswitch) and dont use pedals with it. The Bass, though cheapo, sounds pretty good feels ok (few sharp frets, dicky tone pot) and punches well with the Marshall. The GS is simply a wonderful thing which will never leave me. Ive just swapped my Pacifica for the ovation, which I amp into the bass amp sometimes. I do like bass but still very much a learner, the ovation is a keeper too. Decisions eh?

Thoughts appreciated! dont ask me to up the budget, thats the top end!

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

walk to Portugal and rechannel the otherwise-travel money into your guitar fund! Or just sack Protugal off completely - its the land of Ronaldo. :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

okay, serious response.....

there's a tube stomp box selection by Blackstar, the dist-x is well worth a try (its on my list for sure, might even try it tomorrow if the weather aint too attrocious, lol) and costs around 100 quid or less - http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=blackstar+pedals&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

blackstar do a whole range, not just the dist-x and they're all tube driven. they could give your vox more of a tube sound (dunno for sure, you'd have to test some out). if so, that would leave 100quid to channel into your electric-guitar fund. curly are doing 'starter packs' involving unbranded starts and teles http://www.curlymusic.co.uk/index.pl?browse=products&id=693&detail=3 and although the retail there is more than 100quid, that's 'cause it includes amp, etc. I know for a fact they'll be getting more individual guitars for 100quid by march, since I'm planning on picking up a couple for learning how to do paintwork and other mods on. they're pretty decent guitars, tbh, they have a real fender-feel to the body and neck (I'm quite poss. gonna overhaul the pups anyway, so I didn't take much notice of them,only tried the guitar sans amp).

it doesn't quite fit your outline, but its a thought. and if you can hang on for a bit for the electric guitar, I'll have to sell my modded guitars on once I've finished them (I genuinely will have way too many otherwise, lol) and, for a fellow NWester, I'd do the best price possible on them.

as for your outline, I'd be tempted to..........just go with some stomp boxes, the GS is nice and I'm a fan of Vox amps generally. You could add the Epi Valve Jr. (lol, I'm also a big fan of valve amps), but I'd advocate a small selection of decent stomps, and you wont get a huge deal of good stomps for 200 quid, especially if you want a wah pedal as one of them. I would check the marshall range though, they're cheap (around 32quid and upwards from curly music), sturdy and provide geat sounds by and large. the bluesbreaker pedal is a mainstay of my rig, a pedal I default to whenever I'm using solid state amps or other people's rigs at short notice.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers Scrybe - you dont happen to work for Curly's do you? :P . It is a cracking shop, Ive only been there once but it was the best of the 3 on that street nr Central station. Yeah I like the idea of marshall pedals and hear good things about the bluesbreaker but by the sounds you are considerably more accomplished and experienced as a guitarist than I and my domestic noodlings. The only problem with the Epi is its another amp hanging about the place and space is limited as it is. At least I can hang a guitar on the back of a door somewhere.

And as for Ronaldo, Im not big on football (or soccer to our US friends) at all l!!.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

its the land of Ronaldo. :wink:
Precisely. Go over to Madeira. Wink Wink..

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

no I don't work for Curlys. I did used to work at Dawsons, but I prefer Curly's and have a good business relationship with them. Just been perusing their site a lot and know their current prices as I've just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from them. I also find them a lot nicer with regards to testing a whole bunch of gear before you buy.

I know what you mean about the limited space for amps - thats why a bluesbreaker pedal or blackstar pedal might be the way to go, as far as getting more of a valve/vintage sound without crowding the place up too much.

I'll pm you as and when any guitar-mod jobs I do near an end in case anything takes your fancy. I'm doing it out of interest, so I'm not too concerned about profit at the moment, I just know I can't keep all the guitars I'm planning to mod and don't wanna be too out of pocket from doing them.

Oh, and the bluesbreaker pedal was the first one I got - I've been through about three in around 7 yrs now. I broke the first one by (accidently) dropping it from a great height (don't ask, lol), one got nicked and one got left behind when I was moving around a lot during uni. :cry: They're really easy to use - the boost/blues switch lets you give your amp a clean voume boost (making theother controls on the pedal redundant) or switch to 'blues' and use the other controls to dial in the amount of overdrive you want. I found it really easy to use and got mine before I got my Marshall JTM45 combo, which its based on, tone-wise. Having got said amp, I've tried the pedal with the amp (v. useful in live situations) and with a whole bunch of other amps, and I reckon it does a great job of replicating the jtm45's tones. I think most places sell the pedal for around 45quid (that's the retails price, anyways), so 32quid is a nice reuction on that. withou bias, its the pedal I think I'm always gonna have in my rig, and my most important/top priority pedal, too. that sais, I might have to splurge on one of them Ibanez TS808 reissues - SRV's pedal of choice, and one I was desperate to get second hand a few years back.

anyways, hope this helps. and if we can organise a jam sometime, you're more than welcome to mess with my pedals and see how they work for you. I've tried various mates' multi-fx units and have never been very impressed with them, compared to individual pedals. but I also try to use as few pedals as possible, so take that into account.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If it was me - well, who are we kidding, you know what I'm going to say!

I don't bother with pedals - although lately I've been thinking maybe, just maybe, I should at least experiment with one then I could switch more easily from the black panel or tweed settings I prefer for rhythm to the higher-gain rectifier setting I prefer for solos.

The Freshman bass I know well - as far as I'm concerned, it's a decent enough bass, good VFM, and more importantly, sounds fine to my ears.

The Squier Custom Teles I also know well - and while I've grown to LOVE the single coil set-up on the Tele, there are times I do like to plug the old Squier in, crank up the P90's and let rip! Must be the combination of guitar and P90's I like so much - I've tried other guitars with P90's and they just don't seem to have the same bite. I love the maple neck, too...very smooth, very player-friendly.

Yep, you know where my money'd be going!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I hear what you say about the Freshman Bass - it does sound probably better than I would have expected, I cant seem to find any info on them anywhere - Ive only ever seen 2 of them, mine and yours Vic!. Freshman didnt help with any background on them, I suppose theyre a generic P bass copy like a squier/aria/vintage etc. I am considering just upgrading this as I go along with some wilkinson bits (bridge/pickup/tuners), some new electrics, a bit of shielding and perhaps a set up/fret job. That though would end up costing about as much as a new budget bass.....

Im also perhaps considering a speaker swap in the Vox to a Celestion G10 vintage, about which I have heard good things. Maybe I should get a couple pedals to play with - Ive also seen a blonde Squier '51 at a good price. I like the look of the EHX holy stain but Im not sure if the overdrive bit is footswitchable or on a slidey switch on the side. I do like the EHX range in general, I want to have a look at the nano muff. SO much GAS and so little money,

So todays thought encompasses a speaker swap for the Vox, EHX holy stain, Squier '51 and a rolling program of upgrades for the Freshman Bass. Im sure I'll change my mind after a few beers later, and again tomorrow etc etc !! :roll:

ReplyQuote