Clear all

What would Hendrix Think?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Of today's music and guitarists........ I mean people like Satriani and Vai have taken technical wizardry to another level, I wonder what Hendrix would think of them. I also wonder what he would think of the guys who put records together with only powerchords and didn't do anything half as complicated as Hendrix. I think he is the kind of person who could probably enjoy or at least appreciate most of what has gone on since he died, what do you think?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

He seemed to be open to most kinds of music. Im guessing he would have been open to new ideas.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

"Why is it so dark in here?"

Okay, it's an old joke, but the point is I think he'd still be making great and unique music.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

What do his contemporaries think of shred? You know people like Clapton, Trower, Gilmour? I know a lot of people who love older guitar players can think it's nothing but an ego trip, but people might have thought that about Hendrix at the time (especially with songs that go on for 10+ minutes towards the end of his career). I know Brian May has spoken of how amazed he is with Joe Satriani online

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It's all up to "where" your music comes from, I guess. Hendrix was a mind-blower. The Wind Cries Mary is one of my favourites as far as where his music comes from. Seeing as music seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom...there's way more amazements to come...The Mayan Prophesy, notwithstanding!

What would Hendrix think? He'd probably hate Hip Hop...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've read a biog of Hendrix which says he was looking for a change of musical direction in his later work, so I guess he'd appreciate a lot of what's happened since.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well..... you might know this but Hendrix was going to collaborate with Miles Davis, the album actually came out but with a different guitarist filling Hendrix' shoes (John McLaughlin I think) and that album is B*tches Brew.

ReplyQuote
(@thelaughingbard)

Seeing as music seperates us from the rest of the animal kingdom...

What would Hendrix think? He'd probably hate Hip Hop...

Cat

It may not be entirely true that we are the only animals to make music. It's possible that whale songs and bird songs are created for musical enjoyment, rather than simply communication (although is usually both).

But you're probably right about Hendrix hating hip-hop, even though he did dress like a pimp!

One bard on a quest for musical enlightenment.
thelaughingbard.com

ReplyQuote