0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK latest addition to the list:

Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I started learning Street Fighting Man yesterday. Got most of it down, just need to put it all together.

Last night was all about some Pink Floyd. "Learning To Fly", "Nobody Home", "Mother", "Breathe", "Time", "Brain Damage", "Eclipse", "Wearing The Inside Out", "One Slip" and "Wish You Were Here".

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I used to love Pink Floyd when they came out and I wore the records out listening to them but man I don't think I've listened to much PF since the 70's and never really learned any of their tunes. I did play Welcome to the Machine with a bunch of guys from work but not recently.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The Wall (Part 1 - 'Happiest Days - Part II) was overplayed big time. Hated that stretch of song until I saw them in the Pulse Tour in '94(?). I liked that song after that. "Money" is still kind of that way with me, but "Time" was right there with it and I started liking it after playing it once on guitar. The rest of it I still listen to and play often.

I do have a massive hole in my CD rack just waiting for pre-dark side albums. Aside from Saucerful of Secrets, I have nothing.

I like playing Welcome to the Machine. That would have been played last night too, had I not fallen asleep. Only a couple PF songs to go before exhausting my PF playlist.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

21st Century Breakdown (Title Song) - Green Day

Anything by Poison..lol 8)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Geez Rahul how did I guess there would be a Greenday song in there but now that you've found your true calling...80's hair metal it might be all Poison and Motley Crue from now on!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Geez Rahul how did I guess there would be a Greenday song in there but now that you've found your true calling...80's hair metal it might be all Poison and Motley Crue from now on!

Well, I am sure enjoying the variety. I really like music from a wide range of artists. I was mightly impressed by Pavarotti and his dynamism and range of vocals.

I guess the more different kinds of artists I listen to, it may just help me in getting better ideas for writing some of my own music.

Green Day will always be a favourite though. I am way too much connected to them... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member

this is what ive been playing while jamming with my friends

wake up dead by: megadeth

seek and destroy by metallica

im broken by pantera

NIB by black sabbath

stuff like that...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That's a whole lot of some serious metal playing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I learned and played parts of PF's "Echoes" last night. Another mostly barre chord hand killer.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

There's alot of thought here and I won't necessarily disagree since it's your opinion but everyone has their own reasons for learning to play an instrument you happen to get your enjoyment from spontanious creativity others get in from playing other peoples music.

I think there is room in this world for both. For young players starting out yes I would tend to agree more with your ideas especially if they ever plan on making music a career cuz you're not getting farther than the local clubs with covers but with that said the mojority of people who pick up an instrument aren't pursuing that path. I know that just because you don't want to pursue it doesn't mean you can't create spontanious music but who are you creating this music with? A band? Yourself?

Arming yourself with the tools necessary to create music can never ever be a bad thing just like learning to read music but neither would proclude you from being able to play the instrument and have fun with it.

I will admit I'm probably the poster boy for playing covers but I took this up at an advanced age and really never thought it was more than a hobby.

But playing something spontaneous and playing something that people would actually want to listen to are sometimes two different things.

I've heard a lot of local musicians over the years play original music and I'll have to say less than 1% ever impressed me as anything special. I'd much rather hear someone play a good cover than a bad original.

It really comes down to different strokes for different folks.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I fought with myself whether or not to post something in response to your first declarative comment. I feel compelled.
The true magic of music is developing and cultivating the ability to create something, something spontaneous, something of true muse. Without that experience there is no way to really feel the sensation of what playing music is all about.
I find this is flawed and really pretentious. Who are you to tell me by not doing what you do, I, by default, fail to know the true sensation of what playing music is about? You can change the statement to say that it's indeed how you get your musical juices flowing. (meaning you, darkhorse, not you...everyone else)

I've seen this bit of rant repeated many times over on this forum and others. It's an almost snob-like spew if you ask me. People claiming that they "only play what they write" and doing other is inferior and beneath them. Kind of like the people who claim they "never watch television", but with a bit of looking down their noses at those who do.

darkhorse, I might even agree with you someday. Things have a funny way of changing. However, I am not going to tell people that they must do this or that in order to truley enjoy something.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@liontable)
Estimable Member

I don't think he means it that way, unless I'm wrong of course. I think he's just saying you have to feel the music you're playing by making it your own. (Exclusively) Trying to play exactly like the record destroys your own creativity, because making your own version and being creative with even Smoke On The Water can create so much more than an overplayed riff. I'll use the TV analogy. I hardly ever watch TV anymore, due to doing other things, but I don't look down on it. It's a great way to relax, you can effectively learn things despite what a lot of people say and many more advantages. The thing is that the real issues arise when that's the only thing you do, because some day you'll stand there not knowing what to do, because you don't know anything else. (This is how I saw his post)

Now for my own (completely beginner) opinion, and you decide what you think of it. Playing covers is not something to be looked down upon, it requires skill, insight, a "feeling" with the music. It's fun, it's something a lot of people know and it can be a great hobby. But I believe it's only a part of the big experience. Your own additions, are what make it unique and really something special. It doesn't require you to write your own song to know what music is like. It could be you change the tone, you use another effect, you play some notes longer, anything really. You can perfectly know a song, but you can't perfectly like a song. Making it your own is something special in my opinion, and that's why we want to see the real artists often, for that special extra, because they themselves often change it as they go. It could be that you just throw out a few improvised licks before you start playing, but to me it's an essential part of the whole experience. Creation, even if it's a small detail changed on a cover, is something that separates you from everyone else. Solely copying is playing guitar hero with a more advanced controller.

Ultimately it's doing what you enjoy most, whatever that is. It might be worth checking out how it feels to see if it adds something to your enjoyment. If it doesn't then you can just do whatever you were doing, but at least you know why.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Thanks Roy, when I read darkhorse' submittal my thoughts were pretty much what you wrote but I knew I couldn't rebut it and be respectful. I think you did a great job.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Liontable, I think that you have a good point. For me, if I can't feel it, it ain't coming out. Might as well stuff it back into a folder.

Me and cnev are opposites. He's more prone to doing covers as close to original as he can while I am the ulrimate one man guitar band and try to capture the whole song with my vocals and guitar. My vocals stink. Let's not open up that can of worms. :cry: At any rate, we each do what we each do and last I checked, we got along just fine. :D

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5