Skip to content
What's new on the l...

Notifications
Clear all

What's new on the list of things you are working on?

43 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well some new ones for me have been:

Innocent - Fuel (I think I mentioned this one but for me this about the singing now)
Wicked Garden - STP
White Wedding - Billy Idol - This is a song a played awhile back but didn't really have all the nuances down.

Let the bashing begin!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I was just about to go start a fresh thread. I'm very glad that you did. 8) 8)

I worked on Simon & Barfuncle's "The Boxer" last week for the first time. Not too bad. I messed around with quite a few things I've been playing all along. For whatever reason, I found myself out of practice on a lot of the songs I knew. I guess that's what happens when you don't practice for a few days.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea Roy I know what you mean I was thinking about this the other day and it seems we keep learning new songs with the band but at the same time we drop one that we don't practice much. It seems the ones we don't practice much invariably are the ones one of us doesn't like much and then if we do try and play it it sounds like crap and then we all say we don't play it well let's drop it...

The current one on the list is Crossroads, the only one who really likes it is the bass player so we haven't played it in months.

But if you don't keep up with them none of them sound good. The drummer is trying to bring back a song we stopped playing awhile ago Big Jack - AC/DC will see how that works.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Wondering what do work on next for my own personal repertoire, but I got the new stuff from the Essex Guitar Orchestra this week to start rehearsing as an orchestra in September, and it's this lot:

Elton John - It's me that you need
Schubert - Erlkonig (from the Goether Lieder)
Trad (Arr Willin) - The Cuckoo
You know who - The Chain (Yep, that one)
Bizet - L'Arlesienne
Bizet - Au fond du Temple Saint
Britten - Old Abra'm Brown
Debussey - Golliwog's Cakewalk (I love this tune)
Rodrigo (yes, him) - Arietta (I don't think I know this one)
Fink - Monteverdiana (written for the Romeros)
Serocki - Gnomes (never heard of it, don't ask)
Rodrigo - Espanoleta (from Fantasia para un gentilhombre)
Purcell - Rondeau and Gigue from "The Fairy Queen"

And I notice I've got the Guitar 1 part in five of those, and Guitar 2 in five more. Geez, that's going to be some work

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Alan, that's quite an impressive list of items you've been assigned. Happy Summer, eh?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I can always give up sleeping

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Let's see...

1- Get a job.

Yup, that's about it. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Let's see...

1- Get a job.

Yup, that's about it. :lol:

Is that a new song... :P

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

How about this...Give me a new song to work on! Someone give me an assignment and I will do the same for you.
Of course, we'll have to be respectful of one another's talent/experience level. (That means give me an EASY one to play. :D ) The following is said tongue in cheek (based on last thread) So when we give an assignment, you have to make sure that it will make the other person really feel the music. Not just some cover tune. Know what I'm sayin cnev? :lol: Hey man...I just read up on that fiasco. You played it the right way dude. Roy, nice assist there bro!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Blue I'm not even sure what that post was about but it sort of pushed my buttons which it probably shouldn't have. I have to remember this is the internet I'm never going to see these people and I shouldn't care what they post.

But I have reverted back to my immature ways and am continuing to work on new cover songs. The new one this week is Shimmer by Fuel.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Chris, that was my poor attempt at humor based on what happened in the other thread. I didn't mean to push your buttons in any way man. I apologize. I love doing cover songs and applaud what you and your band are doing! Again, I'm sorry if I misrepresented myself.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I didn't mean that about you I meant it about the other post and where it ended up. I might have read more into the words that were posted than I should have but I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I just really didn't understand the point. But I knew you were joking that's cool.

Sure I got the part of creating your own music that's fine but I didn't like the inference that if you didn't then you were some kind of immature loser or something. I hear that kind of nonsense all the time and it just kind of gets under my skin.
I look at it this way. I took up playing guitar late in life and I do what I do because I like it. I'm not trying to impress anyone as a matter of fact it's not something I tell people I do unless they know me. I have no illusions that this isn't anything more than a hobby and for someone to tell me I'm immature for playing cover songs that's BS. The wife has that attitude also. She used to play in a hardcore band and write all the music etc. When we started playing she always had some negative comment about playing covers etc. Needless to say we don't discuss music that much she has her ideas and I have mine.

At the end of the day I'll go to my grave knowing that I would rather hear someone play a good cover than 99% of someone's own songs.

It just seemed like such a negative non-productive post. I can be as negative as anyone but I really try not to do that here as it serves no purpose.

I feel bad that someone decided to leave as a result but that's life.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...I look at it this way. I took up playing guitar late in life and I do what I do because I like it. I'm not trying to impress anyone as a matter of fact it's not something I tell people I do unless they know me. I have no illusions that this isn't anything more than a hobby and for someone to tell me I'm immature for playing cover songs that's BS...

I'm with ya all the way bro!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

White Wedding - Billy Idol - This is a song a played awhile back but didn't really have all the nuances down.
!

I love Billy Idol and this song. :D

Watch this version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAhYdtH8uVI

Steve Stevens plays guitar at his best. It seems like he has three hands!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I finally figured out how to play "Gimme shelter" by the Rolling Stones. I got the rhythm part sounding awful and the lead even worse, but I suspect that'll come around and might end up being OK in a month or two. It's been one of the songs I've wanted to be able to play for quite some time. I've tried it every few months for at least 3 or 4 years.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3