Skip to content
What's new on the l...

Notifications
Clear all

What's new on the list of things you are working on?

43 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I added a finger-picking song to the list. A real sappy one too. There's a vomit inducing version that Rod Stewart does with a singer named Amy Belle on Youtube. But, it's a "pretty" song and I guess I have to play one of them every once in a while. It's "I Don't Want to Talk About It" by Rod Stewart. I've tried several variations of flat picking before giving up and doing the finger picking. It does sound sooooooo much better. so, it's this and "Land slide" by Fleetwood Mac that I finger pick now.

Oddly enough, I now have five Rod Stewart songs on my play lists. "Maggie May", "Tonight's the Night", "You Wear It Well" and "You're In My Heart". I've dabbled in a few others like "Young Turks". Can't remember any more. I think out of all of them, "Maggie May" would be as close to a required Rod Stewart song as it gets.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've got quite a few Rod Stewart songs down over the years....Maggie May, You Wear It Well, Every Picture Tells A Story - that one's pretty easy, mostly G - 320033, Cadd9 - x32033, and D, Dsus4 and Dsus2. Cindy Incidentally, Stay With Me, An Old Raincoat...all great songs.

Used to always play Maggie at the pub jam I went to....once I'd sussed out the chords they were using, I worked out an alternate way of playing the chords which meant I could sort of fake the mandolin part. I put a capo on the 7th fret and played it like this.....

Normal.... D Em7 G A Em F#m7 Asus4 A7sus4
Capoed... G Am7 C D Am Bm7 Dsus4 D7sus4

Gives it a whole different feel - so much better than everyone playing the same open chords!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

None of these are brand new (I've had a crack at them all before) but I tend to practice things based on a technique. This week it's sliding chords/double stops:

Free Ride Edgar Winter Group
Chuck E's In Love Rickie Lee Jones
Chain Lightning Steely Dan
Can't You Hear Me Knocking Rolling Stones
Dear Mr. Fantasy Traffic
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Chuck E's In Love Rickie Lee Jones
That song's been in my head lately. F-In-law's name was Chuck.

I did see the chord sheets in one of my books for the Traffic song. I might give that one a spin. Only rhythm, of course. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member

I've been attempting Metallica's The Unforgiven, which is vaguely recognisable, but it all falls apart when I try and play along with the track...

Hopefully it will come together soon :)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've been attempting Metallica's The Unforgiven, which is vaguely recognisable, but it all falls apart when I try and play along with the track...

Hopefully it will come together soon :)
Tracks can be so relentless.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Still on the country side.

"One more day" Diamond Rio
"Brokenheartsville" Joe Nichols
"I tell it like it used to be" T. Graham Brown
"Nobody knows it but me" Kevin Sharp (on the country side) Babyface (R & B side)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, I've got a few songs I want to work on.....

Light My Fire. I can do the intro, can play the chords - got to do something by way of a guitar solo.

Tumbling Dice. I absolutely HAVE to get this song down as well as I've got Brown Sugar down....

Walk This Way. I kind of stumbled over the intro earlier, worked on it and got the riff down. Got ALL the chords down now - but I could do with learning some of the licks and fills.

You'll Never Walk Alone. As done by Gerry and the Pacemakers, but arranged for guitar rather than piano. Some strange chords - diminished AND augmented - in there, so I'll have to work at it.

There's a lot of other songs I want to learn - basically, I want to be able to play along with ANY song I like that comes on the radio. That's going to take a LOT of work - but hey, I'm only 53, got plenty of time left yet. At least another 53 years. I'll be the guy with all the wrinkles playing "Substitute" on my 100th birthday in the nursing home*....I hope.....

Vic

* Hopefully, with a can of lager and a ciggie......and a nurse saying, "Long hair? That's SO last century....."

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

As you possibly read in the Hear Here forum, I got back to guitars. Really I never left them, I kept playing some stuff I already knew. Now I am focusing on jazz guitar. I follow an instruction book and complement it with some youtube videos, internet lessons and jazz standards.

I am working on major scale and different voices of triads and chords along the fretboard. Each set of triads or chords has many possible exercises. I practice them with usual progressions like I-vi-ii-V or ii-V-I. I am recording again.

I am especially focusing on the ii-V-I, trying to identify it in songs. I am particularly happy because I was able to understand how it works in the classical piece Autumn Leaves (Kingpatzer helped to me with a couple of tricky parts, thanks again!).

On the bass. I practice one or two new blues patterns, work on walking bass lines and play some songs.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A minor breakthrough tonight - been messing about with "A Touch Of Grey" by the Grateful Dead for a while, could never suss out the middle eight - "It's a mystery to me....etc" - fooling around with it tonight and I think I've cracked it. Wrote the chords down, I'll try 'em again in the AM when I'm sober. Pretty sure I've got it, though - YEEEEEEEAH!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Great tune. Are ya gonna share your findings with us? I've had no success at all with that song.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Great tune. Are ya gonna share your findings with us? I've had no success at all with that song.

Will do, when I've got it 100% worked out - I'll tell you one thing, I've tried to find a good tab for this for years, tried several tab sites, none of them are REMOTELY close or even in the ball-park - in the end, I had to trust my own ears. The solos are something else, though - I can get a rough feel for what Jerry's playing, but can't get close to emulating it or copying it. Be warned, though, the rhythm guitar's got a lot of barre chords....starting with B and F#.....and I've tried it on a capo, but I'm nowhere near making it easy yet - and I like EASY! I'll keep working on it - another week should have it done....

This is the version I'm working on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmT6udys8Tc

Great tune's an understatement! I have GOT to master this one!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had fogotten about that video. How funny is that? I love the dog scene, and the roadies trying to affix the drummer's kick leg back on mid-song, kind of like when the roadies had to replace moonie's bass drum head mid-song a decade or so earlier. :lol:

I'm working a bit on Monkey Man this morning. I'm good for the intro and one verse before the thumb starts acting up. Fun song, though.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3