Clear all

what's the key to getting people to dance

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i've been playing a long time, but it's never been dance music. someone give me some pointers.

and if anyone says G# minor is the key, well, the joke's already been told.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Personally I think it's just the type of music and when you say dancing what type of dancing.

I mean if you play hardcore or metal there ain't gonna ever be people dancing unless you consider moshing dancing.

But at most places songs that are very familiar and have a good beat will get people dancing, unless of course if the band sux then maybe not.

I'm struggling with that myself, I have a bunch of guys and we are close to ready to play out but we don't play alot of songs that people are going to get up and dance to and I think that will be a problem. Clubs want you to get people dancing so they will get thirsty and buy drinks, if you don't get anyone up on the dance floor people will eventually get bored and leave and you won't get another gig there.

The other thing is that if you have a big enough repetoire you need to be able to read the crowd and make adjustments to the set list if things aren't moving.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

The key is not necessarily getting people to "dance", but getting people up. Mix up a few "classics" into your set that you know make people perk up and go "YEAH!". Judge your audiences age and have a few you can throw in based on demographic. Old AC/DC songs are good for this for example. It also never hurts to take requests.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This part is obvious: play tunes that make you want to dance. I'm sure you can figure some of those out.

Set an example. When you perform, does your band wanna dance? Do you move? It can be very suggestive if you do.

Ask people to get up and dance. Target groups of women or girls -- they will almost always start dancing before anyone else, and if the band is good and the music is right, they only need a bit of coaxing.

Use ringers. Get friends of yours that like to dance to come to your gig and ... dance. Tell them you want them out on the floor.

Keep the momentum going. Arrange your set of danceable tunes in an order that makes it easy to keep dancing. Don't stick a slow tune in the middle of a bunch of fast, killer dance songs. Keep 'em moving. Also, reduce the gaps between songs. Gaps give people a change to reconsider and leave the dance floor.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

FYI, gnease can dance. I don't think there are any videos but one kamikaze blurred night last year we jumped off stage...well really just two feet in front of where we were playing, (but considering, it was still a hell of a jump) and started dancing with a crowd of women. We had no problems getting people to dance after that. That was before the cops came, but after the panty incident I think. If you play up tempo songs, aren't too self conscious, move your body, and people can see you are having fun, you should have no problem. I also just tell people to get up and dance. "If your girlfriend really means something to you, you'll want to get up and dance to this next one."

Any idea what that song was, Greg? I have no idea.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Time. Always takes a party time to unfold and get people to let their hair down so to speak. Maybe a few cocktails, some mingling, etc. One trick I've seen many times is the front man guilting all the men to bring their ladies out to the dance floor for that slow and sappy love song. Then they belt right into some dance tunes afterwards and it's all dance from there.

Edit: Oooops, Nick already mentioned the guilt thing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Believe it or not, Nick, if it was the time I'm thinking of, it was Your Cheatin' Heart that got the ball rolling. They pretty much danced to everything else after that.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

The key is not necessarily getting people to "dance", but getting people up. Mix up a few "classics" into your set that you know make people perk up and go "YEAH!". Judge your audiences age and have a few you can throw in based on demographic. Old AC/DC songs are good for this for example. It also never hurts to take requests.

I testify.
we play our reunion every four years. no not high school. hippie college days school. its a long story.
we play old favorites that everyone knows and can sing. from Sam the Sham to Neil Young we play em and get them dancing. just like the old days.
the pick of song is easier if the audience or group is uni generational.
the classic rock favorites gets a group going. that list becomes longer and longer with each decade.
no matter what band, what crowd, what age, what generation. anywhere at anytime. this works.
play a polka.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

It's the art of responding to the audience.

The first thing I do is size them up and look at hair, shoes, clothes, age, etc. -- after a while you get to match certain styles of fashion with certain styles of music.

Second DON'T MAKE SET LISTS - instead make a best guess from the above observations and then watch the crowd. Experience tells you which songs usually work, and when to try them. Different age groups and different demographic groups have different magic songs.

Watching the crowd while playing your first song, are they attentive? are they dancing? if they are dancing do they look energized or tired? all are clues to guide you to calling your next song.

If they are on the dance floor, go from song to song seamlessly. Often 4 seconds is enough time for them to decide to go back to their seats, and once they decide to do that, it's 10 times as much work getting them to change their mind.

I have been playing the yacht/country club "circuit" for a while now (it pays well and the hours are short). The formula that usually works is

• break the ice with a few upbeat moderate songs that they will not dance to. This age group won't dance right away as they are a bit uncomfortable to break the ice. Make sure the "warm up" songs are popular with the crowd so the audience will feel comfortable with your music.
  • Next, play a very popular slow song, that usually gets them out,
  • then a moderate tempo song,
  • gradually moving to faster songs. Watching their faces and body language tells me how many fast ones before they get tired.
  • Then I'll play a "specialty" song, something that few people like, but that they will definitely dance to (cha-cha, tango, polka, line dance, whatever depending of course on my observations). This gives the regular dancers time to relax and drink a bit
  • Then it's time to talk on the mic before starting the cycle over again with another slow song.
  • I usually start out with the formula and then adjust the songs I play accordingly. It is not a concert, it is a dialog between the audience and the performer. The better I can read the crowd and play the music that suits the moment, the better time the audience will have, and the more "job security" I have.

What works for the yacht/country club crowd, should work for other adult "baby boomer" crowds --- country music, hip-hop, and other audiences have their own "formulas".

It's a skill, just like playing your guitar. Something that needs to be learned and honed.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
    (@gnease)
    Illustrious Member

Believe it or not, Nick, if it was the time I'm thinking of, it was Your Cheatin' Heart that got the ball rolling. They pretty much danced to everything else after that.

Peace

if you say so ... I certainly don't remember

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
    (@ricochet)
    Illustrious Member

Alcohol, low lighting and a strong beat all help a lot.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
    (@dogbite)
    Illustrious Member

Alcohol, low lighting and a strong beat all help a lot.
    funny. that's how I like it when I use the bathroom mirror. helps when that stranger in the mirror is looking back at me.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
    http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
    (@anonymous)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter  

ok... all good advice if you're a cover band...

how do you write a song people will dance to?

ReplyQuote
    (@notes_norton)
    Noble Member

ok... all good advice if you're a cover band...

how do you write a song people will dance to?
    It's an art, not a science and if anyone actually knew the answer, they would become a consultant and make some serious money.

Even great songwriters have written that they never know if their song will be a hit or not.

The best advice is to learn the craft of songwriting and the music theory to support it, write good, danceable songs with good hooks and try them out.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
     cnev
    (@cnev)
    Famed Member

Notes beat me to it. I don't think there isn't any way to predict how an audience will react to your songs, with cover songs that has already been sorted out so there's less guess work involved. If it's a hit there's a pretty good chance you'll get people up dancing as long as you're playing the right songs for the crowd you're playing to.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
    It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 2