what's the key to g...

Notifications
Clear all

what's the key to getting people to dance

26 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)

A lot of bands start out writing their own material by writing songs in the style of the covers that people dance to. A good strong beat is obviously essential, catchy musical hooks certainly help. Not surprisingly, lyrical content isn't a big part of the equation, they can be serious or inane (and obviously the fun ones will usually do better), but poor lyrics can turn people away from dancing.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

From the outside looking in perspective (song writing holds little interest to me), if I ever want to do something and there are plenty of good examples available, I dissect known successes to see how it works and why it works so well. My first step would be to take a few songs and really tear them apart to look under the hood. What do they have in common? How do they differ from, say, pretty songs or sit back and listen songs. Is it accelarendo mixed in with a certain mode that does it? That kind of thing. I'd just try to see what makes a good dance song a good dance song and what makes a bad dance song a bad dance song. Of course, I'm a geek by profession, so that's just how my mind works.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

ok, so what have been some universally danced-to songs, besides the twist and the macarena?

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

ok, so what have been some universally danced-to songs, besides the twist and the macarena?

Electric Slide (I think the song is actually called "Electric Boogie"), Footloose, YMCA, Brick House (not sure if it's universal, but I rarely dance and I always dance to this one).

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, it was after my wife boozed me up at her company Christmas parties for 15 years. I remember "Brick House" as being a big one impossible to ignore. It's amazing how quickly she could find me. I later changed some of the Lyrics and renamed the song to "Big Blouse". You can imagine where it went from there. :twisted:

"You Sexy Thing" by Hot Chocolate
For some reason "My Old School" by Steely Dan was popular. I loved it, which makes it not a dance song by default.
"Midnight Train In Georgia" by Gladys Night and the Pips. (I could have been a Pip. Bad timing is all.....)

Mostly old school/funk, like stuff from Kool and the Gang ("Celebration"?), KC and the Sunshine Band ("Shake Your Booty"), etc. I'm drawing a lot of blanks. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Play That Funky Music, White Boy."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Pick a decade . . .
Here's a list of the Dance Songs of the 80's
Looks like Michael Jackson found some good beats.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I would think that getting the crowd up and dancing depends on the girls in the audience. Play songs that appeal to them . . . where the girls are . . . the guys will follow . . .
. . . oh yeh, the alcohol does help by lowering the inhibition to hit the dance floor . . .
. . . whether you can dance or not . . . enough drinks and you won't care if you can't dance.

Just a quick partial run through of songs from my iPod . . . that shakes my caboose.

Addicted to Love Robert Palmer
I Can't Explain The Who
You Can't Touch This MC Hammer
I Need to Know Marc Anthony
Girls Just Want to Have Fun Cyndi Lauper
Drivin' My Life Away Eddie Rabbitt
Magic Carpet Ride Steppenwolf
Gloria Them
Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison
Respect Arethra Franklin
Strange Brew Cream
Losing My Religion R.E.M
Listen to the Music Doobie Brothers
Sultans of Swing Dire Straits
Sweet Child O' Mine Guns N' Roses
The One I Love R.E.M.
Money for Nothing Dire Straits

Now if they aren't dancing after this set . . . they are dead.

Of course this is completely subjective . . . but I'm dancing while typing this . . .

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Could it be the alcohol and low lighting, with a strong beat?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Could it be the alcohol and low lighting, with a strong beat?

Could be - seems to be a recurring theme. One thing that's not been mentioned though, and this is also very important, you have to want people to dance. I know that sounds silly, but bands or performers who aren't into the whole process or who are kind of "mailing in" their performance usually have a tougher time getting people out on the floor. You have to like your audience enough so that they know you're all in on things together. And that's tough for some people to pull off.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Alcohol, low lighting and a strong beat all help a lot.

Now THAT's a fak, Jak! :lol:

Besides that...

It's all a no-brainer: a HOT rhythm section. I've posted umpteen times on GN about the co-ordination among the drums/bass/r guitar...with the pick hand co-ordinated with the foot pedal and the bassist bridging the percussion. If the rhythm section ain't a "rhythm" section...well, whaddya 'spect???

Hope this helps

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2