Skip to content
What's your most ph...

Notifications
Clear all

What's your most physically painful experience?

92 Posts
48 Users
0 Likes
13.7 K Views
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For me...It's tough to say, but I can you tell my top five

1. Falling 10 feet off a gazeboo and rupturing my spleen
2. Get punched through a screen door and landing on the concrete patio several feet below
3. Getting Pile-drived onto a cement fire place (this is probably number one and I got REAL lucky that I didn't break my neck).
4. Busting my knee snowboarding.
5. Stepping on a flat rake...at which point it swung forward really fast and hit me square in the face (I'm not lying, IT REALLY HAPPENED). That one hurt alot but God...was it funny.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh, I can remember some minor incidents. When playing football as a 16-year old junior as a guestplayer with the seniors apparantly some loser didn't appreciate me being twice as fast and decided that it was time to teach me a lesson. Somewhere during the 2nd half he turns to me and positions his foot against my knee at a rather high speed. Took the ambulance quite a while to get here. About half a year later I was advised to stop playing football by a physio. Or with gym at school when I suprised everyone with my amazing acrobatics. I was asked to jump, make a 360-degree turn and land. I somehow managed to jump, land and THEN attemt to turn, resulting in me laying down on my stomach with my back trying to bend over my head. I managed to get away with just a few bruised ribs but according to the doctor I was quite lucky I didn't damage my spinal cord.

:D

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I guess my most painful experience was when I broke my shoulder skiing the first morning of a 5 day ski trip out west in the Rockies. Since I could still move it I didn't do anything about it but take aspirin. Didn't know at the time it was broke. It just throbbed horribly. To keep the spirit of the vacation alive for my wife, I still skied every day as long as I could keep my arm against my body at ski pole angle.

The most painful part was getting dressed and undressed and then trying to sleep at night. After getting back to work for a week I had to finally visit a physical therapist for the pain. He x-rayed it and said "I think I see the problem. You have a fractured shoulder bone." 6 weeks in a sling and much physical therapy later, back to normal...or so I think.

I've had other trauma that was much worst and physically showed but it was so tramatic I never felt the pain. Split upper lip to the bottom of my nose from a vagrant jack handle. Yes, I whacked myself. I taught ME a lesson that day. One week before Thanksgiving. It was interesting trying to eating that year with 13 stitches in the way.

Most noteably and I'm glad to say I'm here to talk about it. A very serious car wreck, as a teen, that almost removed my scalp and gave me a fractured skull. I wasn't driving. I was in the back seat. I removed the rear window with my head as the car rolled 2.5 times landing upside down in a corn field.

Woke up in the hospital the next day and didn't remember a thing. Total amesia for a couple days. Only from what others have said is what I know of it. Of course the pictures of the car were fairly vivid.

Sorry so long. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

For me...It's tough to say, but I can you tell my top five

1. Falling 10 feet off a gazeboo and rupturing my spleen
2. Get punched through a screen door and landing on the concrete patio several feet below
3. Getting Pile-drived onto a cement fire place (this is probably number one and I got REAL lucky that I didn't break my neck).
4. Busting my knee snowboarding.
5. Stepping on a flat rake...at which point it swung forward really fast and hit me square in the face (I'm not lying, IT REALLY HAPPENED). That one hurt alot but God...was it funny.

I can see all by number 4 happening in one fight... humm

For me it was mountain bike riding. I wasnt very good and I went with a friend that had done it alot. We went through alot of deep gully's and everything went fine. But then we went down a fairly small grade of a hill and I dont really know what happened. The bike got faster, then I couldnt make the turn, next thing I know I am over the front of the bike with my head sticking into the ground. I thought I was paralyzed. We were way out in the boonies so my friend had to run for a while for help. FInally, the EMTs got there and carried me 5 or 10 acres to the ambulance. That was 5 years ago and I can still feel pain in my chest. Took two weeks before I could walk again.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hah, I'm not even going to try to compete with that....

But breaking the same finger (pinky, fretting hand) 5 times in 6 years - or was it 6 times in 5 years, I lost count.....must be some kind of record.... the last time , I nearly had a sex-change as well...went to the counter to give my name in.....

"Name Please?"

"Vic Lewis"

dirty look - "FULL NAME please"....

"Victor Edward Lewis"

"Thank you.........."

2 mins later....it was a quiet day....comes a voice from the Tannoy, "Victoria Lewis to booth one please"......

my mate Dave, who drove us there, and the Mrs still take the you-know-what over that one....until I remind Dave I have pics of him in make-up in the 80's, and his favourite band was Spandau Ballet.......that usually shuts him up....the Mrs is a little more difficult, but I just say "OK you're making your own tea for the next two days"...that usually works as well.....

And having needles stuck through your abdomen into the small intestine is no fun...it was twice a week, then weekly, now it's just once a fortnight...strange, the needles they use to take blood donations are 4 times the size, but don't hurt a bit....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i wrestled for 6 years and many times i was put in positions where i was afraid various bones or tendons would snap and i simultaneously couldn't get any air. i've also ran until i puked on many occasions for wresting.
i had surgery on my hand once after punching out a glass door. it didn't hurt until after the surgery when the painkillers wore off, but that pain was tremendous.
i had an allergic reaction to a medicine which caused pretty much all of my muscles to tense up rigidly for over two hours. that was exhausting and exrcuciating.
i've broken my hand 4 or 5 times, tore my right ankle a couple times, sprained my mcl in my right knee, and had a few concussions, but those weren't really that bad.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I will make this all short stories.

Motorcycle accident: Hit by a VW. Dislocated right hip, right knee and right ankle. Broke foot peg and scratched gas tank. The doctor said nothing broken just now my right leg is 4 inches longer than my left and my hip will wobble for awhile. Sort of back to normal now 25 years later.

Vietnam: Couple of holes in me that weren't there when I got there. Minor and closed now.

Ladder error: Was painting over the front porch and the ladder slipped out from under me when one of the plastic feet broke. I made a 4 point landing ON the ladder as it hit the ground flat. Cut head, cut left arm, cut right arm and bone showing through cut in right shin. Lots of blood in the garage before anyone noticed I wasn't on the ladder anymore. Not sure how I got to the garage since both my eyes were covered in blood.

:idea: Lessons learned: Watch for VW's when I ride, don't go to Vietnam no more, and now hold the ladder for someone else. :idea:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

when i was 19 i worked at a place that printed labels on meat casings like the ones your favorite salami or summer sausage is packed in.

the printing machines were huge and used different sized gears according to the casings being printed. these gears weighed anywhere from 5lbs. to 60lbs. and were stored on wooden dowels on a wall rack.

one day while placing a gear on a lower dowel one of the 45lb. gears slipped of an upper level dowel and it's shear weight multiplied by about 4 ft. of air landed squarely on my middle fingernail that was resting on top of one of the gears on the lower dowels.

it grew to the size of a golfball that night and i drank an entire fifth of bacardi 151 to kill the pain.
i've been in several fairly bad car wrecks, motorcycle accidents at high speeds and i've had the poop beaten out of me on more than one occasion. but that was easily the most painful thing i can remember.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Just small stuff here.

I once sledded down a hill into some bleachers and caught the corner with my mouth. I lost a couple teeth there; I'm just glad I was small then and hadn't lost my baby teeth yet. It kind of turned me off sledding though.

I scratched my cornea with a piece of sand or something when I was tearing out a wine cellar. That hurts more than you might expect it to.

I also burned my foot when we had some fireworks. I've still got a little scar from that. I've burned myself with soldering irons too a few times, but that's not quite so bad.

I fell backwards off the toilet (I was standing on it) and hit my head on the bathtub. It left quite a bump.

I think that's all I've got.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

when i was 19 i worked at a place that printed labels on meat casings like the ones your favorite salami or summer sausage is packed in.

When I read that I thought that story was gonna be ALOT more gruesome :D

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have a story about a friend.

He was a Marine Corp drummer. He worked at a local factory running a press. He got his left hand caught in it and obliterated it. He was so into drumming he had his hand 'shaped' so he could hold a drum stick.

Now that's dedication to playing.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

hmm, catheter is a good one.

I once had an infection from the knuckle of my middle finger up to the tip. In order to drain it they inserted a hypodermic needle in between my nail and cuticle and forced it down to the knuckle. I fainted.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmm, catheter is a good one.

I once had an infection from the knuckle of my middle finger up to the tip. In order to drain it they inserted a hypodermic needle in between my nail and cuticle and forced it down to the knuckle. I fainted.
DING DING DING!!!
we have a tie for the win.

all good so far but these two had the highest squirm factor IMHO

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Lets see here...

I got bit by a cocker spaniel when I was 3 years old, ripped up my left cheek. It took many years for me to like dogs again.

Used a lawn chair to sled down steps on my mom's back yard porch. Got a nice scar on my head for that.

Skinned my knee to the bone from jumping off swings at the park.

Had a nasty ear infection that burst my ear drum.

I sprained my right ankle learning how to skateboard. I thought I broke my ankle the pain was so bad.

And I saw my best friend break his left arm for the second time in gym class. This just after getting off his cast from the first time he broke it. :shock:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7