Where do you keep your guitar tuner?

33 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK - who hid my tuner? Again... :?

A couple of years ago I bought myself a nice Korg Chromatic Tuner. If I could find it, I'd tell you the model number. It's black and slinky, and has unbelievable self-concealment abilities. I swear that it's harder to find than Osama Bin Laden. The people who make Stealth Bombers presumably got their technology directly from Korg....

In the past couple of years I've spent several minutes using it to tune guitars, and MANY MANY hours just looking for the bloody thing.... including half of today. During the hunt I found many old possessions that I hadn't seen for years, but no tuner. It's the Invisible Ninja of music accessories. It can slide behind books or under sheet music and merge effortlessly with a wide range of furniture. I'm convinced that it can disappear at will, and then re-manifest itself weeks later in spots that I already searched seven or eight times.

I have grown to hate it. :evil:

If I find it this time I may just have to kill it to save myself further grief. The last guitar I bought has a built in tuner (oh bliss!) so I think the Korg is sulking, and trying to teach me a lesson. Maybe I'll just paint it dayglo pink and glue it to a brick instead. Mere death wouldn't be enough revenge for the amount of my life it's stolen....

So where do you keep yours?

Do you have some smart and consistent place to keep them? Some handy tip you can pass on? My guitars mostly hang on the wall or sit on stands and I don't tend to use cases much. Besides, when I did generously take the Korg on an outing to play at the local shop it escaped from the guitar case and hid among the instruments. I didn't get it back for two weeks. Can't risk that happening again...

Any ideas on how to keep the things under control?

Cheers,

Chris

Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Every &%(*#%@ time I look for it...one of my kids has it! Sure...I bought them one each...but what does THAT matter??? Yep, an old Korg...NICE thing, too. If I can find it when I need it, that is! :?

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Mine is on my pedal board right at the beginning of the effects chain. I never loose it. :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I'm with Dan. I have a pedal tuner and it's the first one in my chain never gets lost and soooo much easier to deal with than the other tuners I had. One of the best things I ever bought.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I have a Korg Pitchblack tuner on my bass pedal board.

For acoustic I have one of these headstock clip-on tuners; does a pretty good job and stays in a pocket in the gig bag when not in use:
http://www.fretstore.com/detail.aspx?ID=966

For electric guitar there's a tuner in my multi-fx pedal (another Korg product.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I'd not heard of pedal tuners before, but (after Googling some up) they do look very handy. I only rarely play electric, and I currently only own one pedal (which gets used even more rarely). But on checking, it apparently does have a built in tuner (at least, I did manage to find the box.....). I must read the instructions one day... :oops:

I also have a clip-on style tuner, but that lives permanently clipped to the shelf next to where I'm sitting now, and gets obsessively put back after use. If I take it downstairs to my other main playing area it will vanish for sure. So maybe I'll just get another of them and tie it to one of the guitar hangers so that it can't escape....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think I have the same model Korg as you. My usually stays plugged in to the tuner output on my bass amp or in it's own zippered compartment in my bass gig bag. There are times that it gets loose and it uses its cloaking power to hide. Several times, it has migrated to live within the cushions of my couch, but its favorite hiding spot is in the jumble of cables and wires in my studio (some people call it a "living room", but I disagree). It will leap off my bass cabinet, curl its tail (a 3ft instrument cable) and just lie there in the mess. I will look directly at it, but it wills itself not to be seen.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've got a great old Korg, a Seiko, Planet Waves strobe pick thingy, a Peterson, couple of Pandoras and can never find a d@mn one of them.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, first pedal on my pedalboard like the others. I leave my pedalboard at our drummer's house where we practice.

But at home, I keep my tuner on a table by my amp and guitar that I always have set up. I even have a short 12" cable that I leave in the tuner's jack. My guitars hold tune well, but when I think they need tuning I just reach over and grab it, plug in and tune. I have a little Korg, not sure of the exact model, but it is a great little tuner.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I have a shelf that I keep my books on. On that shelf I keep my capo, tuner, picks, a short cable for connecting the tuner to my electric guitar, and maybe another doodad or two. I also have a plastic box that I keep extra strings, polishing cloths, and other things. Bad karma will eternally afflict anyone who dares to mess with anything remotely related to my guitars.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I was just about to write, "Why, it's right here in front of me, on my desk, where it always is...." - but it isn't! It's gone walkabout.....

It's not on the shelf next to me, either...but at least my slide, capo, plecs and one of my spare tuners is there. Along with, would you believe, a set of pitch-pipes....now where's that pesky Korg got to?

(A short while later....)Nope, can't find it anywhere. Probably in the same Tuner Triangle that Chris's keep disappearing into - for the moment, I'll have to use one of the spares. Or the one built into my amp, which is pretty accurate. Or maybe tune to my keyboard, or if all else fails use the pitch-pipes. (Has ANYONE used pitch pipes to tune a guitar, EVER?)

Now if I could just find the mobile phone I've been looking for for two days, and the Swiss Army Knife that took off for pastures new about a week ago.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Now if I could just find the mobile phone I've been looking for for two days

Can't help with the tuner (mine is on my pedal board and I have a little Korg on the table by my practice area) or the Swiss Army knife (mine is in the utility drawer in the kitchen) but on the cell phone I may be able to help. Have you tried calling it and then looking for the ringing phone? Best to do it soon before the batteries die.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

...Any ideas on how to keep the things under control? ...

I have an addiction to buying tuners and have more than a dozen so I can always find at least one of them. :D

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Can't help with the tuner (mine is on my pedal board and I have a little Korg on the table by my practice area) or the Swiss Army knife (mine is in the utility drawer in the kitchen) but on the cell phone I may be able to help. Have you tried calling it and then looking for the ringing phone? Best to do it soon before the batteries die.

UPDATE - two-and-three-quarter-hours later.....

Swiss Army knife was in my jacket pocket....funny, I never usually put things in there, as they have a habit of falling out.

Mobile phone slipped down the side of a cushion...found it whilst looking for tuner. Now charging, as battery had gone...which was why I couldn't hear any ringtone when I called it.

Tuner - still posted as MIA. Thanks, Chris - I can't remember the last time I lost or misplaced a tuner, and as soon as you happen to bring the subject up, mine disappears.......mind you, you could make a killing here. "Okay, send me some money, and I promise I won't mention disappearing plecs, strings snapping, strap locks breaking, amps going on the fritz, pedals breaking............"

(I'll settle for 10%......)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have an addiction to buying tuners and have more than a dozen so I can always find at least one of them. :D

Oh dear, I think you're right.... It's going to have to be the 'Reading Glasses Strategy' for me isn't it? :o

Over the years I've kept all my old reading glasses. When they fail to work in one situation they often turn out to suddenly come into their own at another focal length - i.e for computer or piano - and these have been copiously supplemented with those cheapie ones from the $2 shops. So we now have glasses by the phone, in the glove boxes of our cars, by the bedside, in various bags and cupboards, and generally scattered around like confetti.

They still seem to pile up in little snowdrifts though. I can see 7 pairs from where I'm sitting (odd.. I thought it would be 2 or 3 at most). There's a little nest of 5 perched on top of the books in the bookshelf - presumably left over from the last experiment to see which ones made the screen look the least fuzzy. Then there's the pair I'm wearing to type this, plus my regular prescribed ones that I took off - in preparation for leaving them on the desk and then later driving off down the road while still wearing $2 magnifying glasses, and wondering why the traffic looks slightly odd today...

However, this is modest compared to the herd of them that live in a basket on my wife's dressing table. I kid you not, I just counted them and there were no less than thirteen pairs (plus sunnies) - yet she STILL can't find the ones with just the right coloured frames when she wants to....

I'll just have to see if my mate at the music shop can do me a deal on a six-pack of tuners. Looks like I'll be needing them...

Besides, I might have to send one to Vic. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3