Which pick do you use and why?

Page 1 / 2

(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What is your favorite pick?

I really like these
They seem to have great wear resistance and feel really nice in the hand

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I like the orange Tortex .60mm and the .73mm. Depends on which guitar I'm playing.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Mostly I use the Fender California Clears Heavy (1 mm)

But I also like the New York Pro 0.96mm picks (I can't find a picture of one). I used to use medium picks when I started but now I prefer the heavies...I tried a 2mm & 3mm once my I didn't like the sound they produced. The 1mm is a nice mix of a "strumming" pick and a "lead-playing" pick.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I seem to get a better sound out of thicker picks. These Gator Grips are easy to handle and not too slippery. They also seem to survive the washing machine quite well.

Also use Dunlop Tortex 2.0mm on occaision.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I use Dunlop Big Stubbys. They're a light purple hard plastic with an indentation in the middle. i like them because they're the hardest pick i can find. I also like the Fender heavys that The Trapped X already posted. They're my second favorite.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For electric guitar: .80mm Clayton Spikes - these give a really bright tone. And they've got Spike!

For bass: 2.0mm Dunlop Jazztone, style 206 or 207 - these give a really warm tone with almost no click. These are the closest i've gotten to fingerpicking tone with a flatpick.

For acoustic fingerstyle: white Dunlop thumbpick - they're the right size and easy to find.

For acoustic flatpicking, .60mm Pickboy Carbon Nylon "Edge" picks - the pointy tip and small size allow for good control, and they are much stiffer than most other materials on the same gauge.

For general acoustic strumming, .60mm Dunlop Ultex - nice bright tone, just flexible enough. And they've got a rhino!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Geez, I feel kind of deprived now, I just use my fingers

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I use a pick I currently use these for no particular reason:

However I would like to use but they are too expensive:

You might be able to figure out why. sorry I couldnt figure out how to make the images smaller.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

I use the thinnest fender picks I can find

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I use dunlop nylon .38 mm for electric and acoustic. I use by thumb for bass.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Which: Dunlop Big Stubbi 3mm bass picks
Why: I don't like my picks to bend at all :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jim Dunlop nylon .60mm

I like the pick to bend alittle when you're strumming, but not too much when playing leads, and this one seems to do the trick for both.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@simonb)
Eminent Member

I used to use a nylon .7mm (or so), but I grabbed a Dunlop teardrop shaped pick a while back as a bit of a novelty thing (the yellow one, if it matters) and while it can be a bit of a pain to hold compared to a regular size/shape one, it makes such a lovely warm sound that I use it anyway as much as I can (except for when I need to be sure I won't drop the pick halfway through a song, but I'm hoping with practice I'll get used to it :) ). Seriously though, I was shocked at how different (and IMHO nicer) the sound from that smaller sized pick was compared to everything else I had tried.

edit: I just thought I should add, this is for an acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I use Dunlop Gator Grips. I have both .96 and .58. I have not figured out which I like better yet.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As long as they are pretty stiff and thick enough to grip, I'll use 'em ... now I feel so dirty. It's all about control. I like any flex to be in my wrist and fingers so I can get complete control over the attack and tone.

Dunlops in Stubby, Big Stubby, Gatorgrip, Tortex

Pickboy in various nylon and ceramic (a fave, see below)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2