19 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What is your favorite pick?

I really like these
They seem to have great wear resistance and feel really nice in the hand

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I like the orange Tortex .60mm and the .73mm. Depends on which guitar I'm playing.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mostly I use the Fender California Clears Heavy (1 mm)

But I also like the New York Pro 0.96mm picks (I can't find a picture of one). I used to use medium picks when I started but now I prefer the heavies...I tried a 2mm & 3mm once my I didn't like the sound they produced. The 1mm is a nice mix of a "strumming" pick and a "lead-playing" pick.

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I seem to get a better sound out of thicker picks. These Gator Grips are easy to handle and not too slippery. They also seem to survive the washing machine quite well. :lol:

Also use Dunlop Tortex 2.0mm on occaision.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I use Dunlop Big Stubbys. They're a light purple hard plastic with an indentation in the middle. i like them because they're the hardest pick i can find. I also like the Fender heavys that The Trapped X already posted. They're my second favorite.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For electric guitar: .80mm Clayton Spikes - these give a really bright tone. And they've got Spike!

For bass: 2.0mm Dunlop Jazztone, style 206 or 207 - these give a really warm tone with almost no click. These are the closest i've gotten to fingerpicking tone with a flatpick.

For acoustic fingerstyle: white Dunlop thumbpick - they're the right size and easy to find.

For acoustic flatpicking, .60mm Pickboy Carbon Nylon "Edge" picks - the pointy tip and small size allow for good control, and they are much stiffer than most other materials on the same gauge.

For general acoustic strumming, .60mm Dunlop Ultex - nice bright tone, just flexible enough. And they've got a rhino!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Geez, I feel kind of deprived now, I just use my fingers

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I use a pick I currently use these for no particular reason:

However I would like to use but they are too expensive:

You might be able to figure out why. :lol: sorry I couldnt figure out how to make the images smaller.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

I use the thinnest fender picks I can find

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I use dunlop nylon .38 mm for electric and acoustic. I use by thumb for bass.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Which: Dunlop Big Stubbi 3mm bass picks
Why: I don't like my picks to bend at all :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Jim Dunlop nylon .60mm

I like the pick to bend alittle when you're strumming, but not too much when playing leads, and this one seems to do the trick for both.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@simonb)
Eminent Member

I used to use a nylon .7mm (or so), but I grabbed a Dunlop teardrop shaped pick a while back as a bit of a novelty thing (the yellow one, if it matters) and while it can be a bit of a pain to hold compared to a regular size/shape one, it makes such a lovely warm sound that I use it anyway as much as I can (except for when I need to be sure I won't drop the pick halfway through a song, but I'm hoping with practice I'll get used to it :) ). Seriously though, I was shocked at how different (and IMHO nicer) the sound from that smaller sized pick was compared to everything else I had tried.

edit: I just thought I should add, this is for an acoustic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I use Dunlop Gator Grips. I have both .96 and .58. I have not figured out which I like better yet.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As long as they are pretty stiff and thick enough to grip, I'll use 'em ... now I feel so dirty. It's all about control. I like any flex to be in my wrist and fingers so I can get complete control over the attack and tone.

Dunlops in Stubby, Big Stubby, Gatorgrip, Tortex

Pickboy in various nylon and ceramic (a fave, see below)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2