Skip to content
Would you buy a Gui...

Notifications
Clear all

Would you buy a Guitar Noise lesson book?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I love the GN lessons on line, but it's not always the best format for practicing. It's awkward to switch from the guitar to the computer to scroll through a lesson. Plus I'm old fashioned and like books. I'd love to see GN publish a book containing a collection of song and theory lessons.

My question to all of you is…
Would you be interested in purchasing a guitar lesson book based on GN lessons?

Maybe if enough members are interested, GN will consider this as a viable revenue producing project.

David "Who" Else

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

David Hodge has a project in the pipeline that might interest you:

Songs in the Public Domain

He also has a book on Rock that's getting closer to publishing. As far as I know it's due out later this year.

What do you see as the advantage of putting the existing lessons in a book?

I share your enjoyment of books, but the problems are exactly the same as with the online lesson. If you want to hear the sound clips, which are an important part of the lessons (that's if a book actually came with any) then you still have fiddle around with something to play them.

The lessons themselves are easy enough to print out if you don't like looking at a screen. You also have the opportunity to print out any scores/tab separately, at whatever size you choose, to put on your music stand. I don't see a book as offering anything more.

The real problem though is copyright. A publisher would have to shell out a lot of money to get permission to put all the song lessons in a book and, as David mentions in the thread that I linked to, they are apparently unlikely to do so. The theory is of course another matter. However most interested publishers already have theory books in their catalogue, and you could simply make your own 'book' by printing out the articles here for yourself, or use material from the many other sites that have it free online.

So I guess that's a no... :wink:

But I'll certainly be interested in looking at David's book based on traditional songs when that's done. :) I'd also be interested in any good song tuition in video format.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's an interesting idea, but I think Chris has covered most of the points against - the main one being copyright. You are ALWAYS going to have to pay through the nose for a songbook - the publisher wants to make money, the author wants to make money, and of course the writers want their cut - and why shouldn't they? It's their music, after all....

The cool thing about Guitarnoise.... you've got a lot of great lessons here, and all of them are FREE. It's surely not going to cost you that much to print those lessons out in the font of your choice...cheaper than buying a book, anyway. And you don't have to print them all out - just the lessons on the songs you like.

David's got an upcoming project for which he's seeking advice in the news forum.... have a look at the thread.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45680

New songs, old songs - as long as you learn something, who cares? You can always put your own slant on 'em.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Once upon a time Paul did a "Guitar Noise Portable Website" CD. I wonder if he might be persuaded to bring that up to date.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yep, I guess I overlooked the insurmountable problem that copyrights create :oops: .

As far as printing out the GN pages, true, it's easy enough. But I feel like I'd be "pirating" :twisted: David and the other contributors' work if I print it all out. GN is willing to make it available for free, but if they were able to publish it, they might get a return for all their efforts...if the copyright problem didn't exist.

The main reason I think there should be a GN book on the market, whether song lessons or theory is simple... of all the guitar books I've bought or browsed through, none seem to do it in such a workable, practical, doable fashion as GN. I've searched through loads of books, trying to find a progressive course that works it's way through playing lessons and theory and I haven't found any that come close to what's available here on GN. But with that said, I don't find it comfortable to sit in front of the computer with the guitar. So I either sit at the computer and read lessons or I strap on the guitar and practice, I can't do both and there's a disconnect between the two. It just doesn't work for me.

I guess I'll solve my problem by starting to print out lessons and I'll salve my guilty conscience by dropping a tip in the jar. But I'd still love to see a GN book on the market and on my shelf.

Dave "Who" Else

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One solution is to create a CD or DVD of all the MP3s that accompany the GN lessons. Another option is to store them all on an MP3 player.
Use that alongside your printed lesson and hey presto!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

As far as printing out the GN pages, true, it's easy enough. But I feel like I'd be "pirating" :twisted: David and the other contributors' work if I print it all out. GN is willing to make it available for free, but if they were able to publish it, they might get a return for all their efforts...if the copyright problem didn't exist.

Anybody who writes an article or lesson here can be assumed to be happy to have their own contribution either read on screen, or printed out. That's not really a problem. The 'elephant in the room' here is that the subject material being taught is copyright to somebody else - i.e. the original artist or their publishers, agents, or whoever. A certain amount of quoting of lyrics and music is legally allowed for purposes of 'personal study', and there is, shall we say "room for debate" as to whether the lessons here are outside the range. Some would say that they go over the line and are lucky not to have been targeted when the publishers went for some of the TAB sites. No book publisher would touch them in their present form, because they'd be too costly. They'd either have to pay for the rights, or pay the costs of being hammered for not doing so.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote