Yamaha FG-230

33 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

How much do you think I can get for a beat up Yamaha FG-230(12 string) if I include a just as beat up case and put some new strings on it to?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Search closed auctions on eBay.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I could only see 5 un-sold auctions on ebay. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I looked on Harmony-Central and it looks like most were between $50 and $125.

When you say beat up, what do you mean? Does it still play well? Action decent? Just cosmetic damages, if any?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I could only see 5 un-sold auctions on ebay. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I looked on Harmony-Central and it looks like most were between $50 and $125.

When you say beat up, what do you mean? Does it still play well? Action decent? Just cosmetic damages, if any?

Well Roy it is missing the pick guard it has high action the neck feels good but has some dings in the neck it sounds amazing
its got a hole in the side(see pics) It needs a new saddle witch I plan on replaceing soon. Plus it's vintage 30 plus years old!

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This is what I mean by a "Hole" :|

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

. I looked on Harmony-Central and it looks like most were between $50 and $125.

That seems right, though the range is probably $50 to $225 for red-label Nippon Gakki made in Japan, depending on condition and luck. Less for the non-MIJ labels. Less with a hole, for sure. Old MIJ Yamahas are terrific beater guitars for cheap.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

think I can get 100 out of it?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Based on the headstock image, it looks like it's not tuned to pitch. If you tune it up, is it playable? Fret buzzing? Neck warped? Does the top belly up? 12-strings in poor shape don't hold value as they are more prone to problems.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I losend the strings it is'int showing signs of bellying the neck is wraping but it is "playable" also threre is no truss rod to adjust... no fret buzz

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My gut reaction is "No", but I could be very wrong. You can throw it up on Craig's List and see if you get any bites. Just a thought.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

+1

There was one on Elderly that went for $69. That one had a body in better condition, but the back of the neck was dinged up, so all-in-all it was comparable. That's probably a reasonable reference price.

If it were mine, I'd fix it up and keep it for DADGAD tunings.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I found where the truss rod is and any advise on how to adjust it?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Here's the extent of my "knowledge"....which is limited. :lol:
http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm
Nils used to frequent the GN forums right much. Pretty handy set of instructions. If it isn't on here, I don't know how to do it. :)

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you follow the instructions for adjusting neck relief in the page that rparker provided to you then you should be good to go. Don't forget, do it in small steps like an 1/8 of a turn at a time and let it settle and check it again. When you think you have it let it sit over night and check it again.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

If you follow the instructions for adjusting neck relief in the page that rparker provided to you then you should be good to go. Don't forget, do it in small steps like an 1/8 of a turn at a time and let it settle and check it again. When you think you have it let it sit over night and check it again.
But it needs a special tool that I dont have so I dont know what to do. :(

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3