Clear all

Yamaha FG-230

33 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
11.5 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Try the hardware store. Plain old hex-wrench, aka allen wrench, probably 4mm or 5mm. Buy a set in metric and US sizing; you'll use 'em or lose 'em eventually.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks slege I had my Dad look at it and he said it needs a wrench and he was right I already adjusted it now its time to wait :D

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Now I'm confused :? I have all of the strings off of it and they were all off when I made the adjustments BUT I read on one site that the strings should be on and tuned to pich so can somebody help me...again

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

To measure the neck bow you have to have the string tension. String it up, tune it up and check it. Usually it takes waiting a day or so after an adjustment to see the stable results of an adjustment.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I put new strings on it last night I measured it and it looks like its 3/16th at the 12th fret

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's right about where I like my guitars set, but I do play a lot of slide.

Checking neck relief and action height are two different things. Go to http://frets.com and search for "truss rod."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's right about where I like my guitars set, but I do play a lot of slide.

Checking neck relief and action height are two different things. Go to http://frets.com and search for "truss rod."

I was just thinking slide. I'm not sure I've heard a 12-string slide though. Gonna have to youtube it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yanno, crkt, after all that work you put into this, you might decide it's probably worth more to you to keep it. If it sounds good, set up well and all, that's hard to replace for so little $$$$. I've always hated to give up something I've worked on.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Roy I for got to tell you guys that I am going to keep it :D

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I guess 12 string slide has been done :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gIDf_dEF4

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, it's been done quite a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

would it mess anything up if I adjusted the neck tonight after I put the strings on last night?

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When I capo it at the 1st fret and fret the low E string at the 14th fret and measure at the top of the 7th fret it says 1/16

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Go to this page and scroll down till you find the part about measuring neck relief, with suggested values:
http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

I think you have some truss rod tightening yet to do.

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I was tightening the truss rod tonight and it made a "poping" noise it doesint look like it did any damage should I be worried?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3