Clear all

Yikes! Price Increases

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last summer, I paid about $275 or so for a Fender Super Champ XD Hybrid amp. The regular price was $299. I swear that I just saw that amp for $329 last week. Fair enough. I was just perusing the MF sit and saw it there for $398! Upon further review, the amp I paid almost $600 for 18 months ago, Fender Blues Deluxe Re-issue, now goes for $899! Wow. I am SO glad I do not have to make an amp purchase these days.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I was planning to get a Super champ XD with my tax refund money, and last I checked they were $329. I just read your post Roy and thought "no way", but upon further review of MF; Fender Super champ XD is selling for $398.99! :shock: Even though I still could afford it, I am not about to pay an extra $70 for that amp. :evil: Good marketing Fender; times are tough all over, and despite a down turn in the economy, you raise your prices!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I have noticed the price increases as well. Not the best thing to be doing in this economy. Guess I am thru buying gear for quite a while. Since they seem to need $$$ so bad, I am wondering if I will get the credit back to my account that MF incorrectly charged me on over 2 mo. ago. :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

One of the big Classical Guitar shops in the UK announced that because the Pound was sinking and their guitars were mostly sourced from Europe in Euros so they were raising all their prices to make sure they still made a profit.

And Ford just announced they're putting up the price of their cars over here by 5%. Not a bad job when inflation is only 0.1% - old Henry puts a price rise on us of fifty times inflation.

Moan moan moan......

A :cry:

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you'd think they'd be reducing prices to move merchandise. What are they thinking?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Roy, I bought the same amp, Super Champ XD (modified vintage) just before Christmas.
It was on sale . . . with tax and everything it came to $288.87
(I keep receipts for guitar related acquisitions in a pocket of my song notebook)
The sales clerk at Guitar Center said it was a great deal for a tube amp.
He insisted that I buy it . . . and twisted my arm.
Nice to know I got a good deal.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just went in a looked at some of my guitars. The Ibanez went up $10 right after I got it on '04. It's still there. My Taylor went up about only maybe $40 or so since late '04. My Epi LP Custom went up $150 since '05. Meanwhile, my EPI SG has not moved since '06.

As far as the MIMs go, they are each a little higher unless you want the HSS. For some reason that's $550-$600. Seems odd though, because there are only 9 reviews. Maybe there's some sort of gap in the stock and their out of something.

The amps though. Man. That's just insane. 50% increase in 18 months.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

The price hikes are ridiculous. Are these companies trying to commit economic suicide?

I priced an Epi LP with a dealer last November at AU$799. When I went to buy it late January the price had jumped to AU$1200!. When I said told the dealer that Epis just aren't worth that, he agreed and said he would never buy one at that price.

In the Epi area of the market there are so many competing brands that are better quality and certainly better value for money - the Agile 3000/3100 series is an excellent example going on the reports of owners, another the new Fender Squier Classic Vibes.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I see it is only on certain merchandise that the prices are insane. Gibson/Fender, & other high priced brands, overpriced to start with, in my opinion. The Jackson that I bought over 5 yrs. ago is still exactly where it was then. The Kramers, Deans, & B.C. Rich I looked at are still the same.

The Yngwie Strat which I have eyed for a long time is now over $2000!!! :shock: Last year was selling for a little over $1300. Guess I'll never own one of those now. I'm definantly not gonna pay 2K for it! I predict that in a few months sales will come to a standstill & they will have to cut the prices.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

In the Epi area of the market there are so many competing brands that are better quality and certainly better value for money -

The "lower end" PRS are really good, at least form what I've heard and my one time playing one. They're something like $565-$665 US. Still not a great price for you over ther probably, an alternative. There's a new Ibanez single cut with active humbuckers for $400 US. Heck, as much as I've enjoyed an economy Ibanez, I would not hesitate to try that one. You're right though, many choices. I bet all the other manufactures are doing the jig dance right now over these price increases.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I bought my MIA tele for $999, only to find out that that week the prices went up 30% on Fender merch. so my tele now costs $1300...if i had waited another week I would have been screwed. the stores will drop their prices to move the product, but the manufacturers are going to try to recoup losses by raising their prices. inflation baby.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just nuts! I tend to shop deals, so they won't be selling me any of that stuff anytime soon. My Epi Les Paul jumped $100 in price shortly after I bought it last summer. Good thing I got so much gear, time to hunker down and not be a consumer.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just fot an email friday evening from Sam Ash touting a 1 day only 20% off sale for things over $300. Typical disclaimer listing that "Certain items from Bose, Behringer, Bugera, Buffet Pro, Edirol, Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, Korg, Marshall, Mogami, Monster Cable, Pearl, Roland, SSL, Tama and Vox may not qualify for this offer. Products from Adam, Andino, Apple Computer, Digi ProTools HD, Fender, Guild, Gretsch, Jackson, Charvel, Tacoma, Squier, SWR, Gemeinhardt, Nirschl, and Stepanhouser do not qualify for this offer."

I'm in no position to go buy any serious gear right now, but I am curious what's on this exclusive list that cannot be discounted. IF I was to purchase a guitar, it would be this one. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617 Looks pretty interesting, and if available for 20% off, brings it down to $680, which would be more in line of what this thing should be. Alas, co-pays tearing me a new one these days. :cry:

Besides, I don't no no more stinkin gear. I don't need the gear I got. I'd be like a golfer who hits about a 110 average owning 4 putters, 3 sandwedges, 4 or 5 drivers, etc, etc. Like greg sez. It's in da fingers. Same with golf.

Roy

ReplyQuote