Yngwie Malmsteen live

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,

Now most people here will know who Malmsteen is so I don't really need to write a long description about his hair metal shredding history.

Anyway I saw that he was on tour, called my guitar teacher up to see if he was going to see him and so decided to go with him. As with most things I'm always up to go see someone, even though Malmsteen is not one of my favourite guitar players. Actually quite looking forward to it though, I'm sure it will be good fun.

However I told a friend of mine who I knew would disapprove and he told me he would rather vomit than see him, he also said in another conversation though he would rather stay in and watch Hollyoakes (tv soap drama for the yanks) than go see Steve Vai. I don't get him anyway my attitude is that it's worth seeing ANYONE for the live experience.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

(@davidhodge)

Two things worth trying to always remember (and yes, of course, there will be exceptions, but whenever possible):

1) Don't ever pass up a chance to see live music.

2) Don't ever pass up a chance to play music.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Two things worth trying to always remember (and yes, of course, there will be exceptions, but whenever possible):

1) Don't ever pass up a chance to see live music.

Even Kenny G.? I have passed on free tickets for his concert before.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Who's to say Kenny G doesn't have a great guitarist on backup or a terrific bass player?

To be fair, you have to decide what kind of outing you're going to have - enjoyment or educational - when given a choice to see a show. No matter who the act is, there is always a chance to learn something. But if you're not in the mood for that, then no sense to go. More often than not "educational" trips turn out to be enjoyable ones, too.

If you're into different aspects of musicianship (not to mention showmanship), there are all sorts of things to watch and listen to. How the band works as a unit. What the arrangements are like. Even the mechanical aspects such as sound and lighting. If you look at a show as a "school trip" into the music world, you can't help but learn something.

But if you're strictly in the mood for "enjoyment," then choose your show accordingly. Common sense, no?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I highly agree with Mr. Hodge on number one. I blew many chances over the years to see many great bands live. I'd love to see Yngwie Malmsteen live, some of my favorite songs are "I'll See The Light Tonight" and "Queen In Love".

Heck, I've gone to concerts with my parents that had The Four Tops, Temptations, Tommy James and the Shondells, and Paul Revere and the Raiders. Wasn't my type of music, but was worth it.

Favorites I missed out on

ZZ Top
Joe Satriani
B.B. King
Primus
Iron Maiden
Um... a number of other metal bands.

I also missed out seeing Lacuna Coil perform at my local guitar store last year. :cry:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Man, Ghost, you did miss out. I saw Lacuna Coil open for Opeth in Atlanta, GA a couple of years ago. Then saw them again a couple days later open for Opeth in Winston-Salem, NC. I live in Charlotte, NC so it was a decent drive to both, but not out of the question. The starter band was different from city to city and the crowds were kind of different.

Back to the subject of the post, when I was a teen, I took in Sting (on solo tour) and Metallica in the same year. Appreciate the musicianship and keep an open mind, that is the best way to learn.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Depends on the ticket price.

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well I dunno where your from but it was £20.20 which I think is relatively cheap.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Go see the man play, and listen to the experience of him and his band. There may be a great opening act, too.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote