Yours...Or Someone Else's???

34 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm wondering how a poll would show how many play "other people's compositions" as opposed to their own stuff?

I'm of a mind that it's 90-plus percent "other people's stuff!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

someone else....99%
mine....1% unless you count noodling...then it's 60% other and 40% mine.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Think I'm up to
36,76% own compositions these days

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I'm about 50/50 now. Some days I only play other's and some days I only play my own stuff.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Yeah, apart from noodling, 100% OPC.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

About 75% my own songs. The reason I picked up guitar in the first place was to play my favourite songs; then I started writing my own songs, so naturally I want to play those as well. I seem to spend far more time on my own songs these days, though, working out the various guitar parts....probably all down to GN, because since joining the Sunday Songwriters Group just over four years ago, I've written 100 songs on various topics in there, as well as the odd song that comes from nowhere, so to speak.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

100 % covers...I am not worthy!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

90% improv within or embellished arrangements of other's works -- including those of my friends.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

What I play depends almost entirely on who I'm playing for and who I'm playing with. With students, it makes no sense to play originals, since they won't know them and it makes it harder to teach a lesson. With friends, it usually runs half and half - closer to eighty percent if you consider my friends' original pieces. Performances vary wildly, from one hundred percent my own material to one hundred percent covers depending, as it should, on the venue and the audience. And then what do you call it when you factor in the fact that when we do covers, more than ninety-five percent of them with original arrangements?

To me, and this may sound silly, there's no difference between originals and covers. Every cover is an original by someone and while I may not have written it, I'm taking part in rewriting the arrangement whenever I play. Most guitar players are not songwriters, so they play other people's material. That's how most of us learn. Then the fun part comes when you start tinkering around with it and making it your own.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

Other people's compositions mostly.
I haven't wrote a song in a long time Ineed to get back on that!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Mostly other people's compositions, I'd say 90%, at least.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

:note2: I'm down with OPC :note2:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Geez! When I posted this thread I never thought it'd get jumped on so thoroughly! Overwhelmingly...it's OPC. Not too surprisingly, that's where the money is!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Geez! When I posted this thread I never thought it'd get jumped on so thoroughly! Overwhelmingly...it's OPC. Not too surprisingly, that's where the money is!

Cat

Ah, but I'm not in it for the money - I just wanna ROCK, and playing guitar's about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. There's something about the whole process of writing a song - from the germ of an idea, to putting lyrics and music together, to recording it and seeing the whole thing take life....it's just so incredibly satisfying and fulfilling. It's pobably why I've somehow managed to stay sane (????) all these years.......too busy making music to have a breakdown!

Mind you, if I ever did manage to write a hit single, I wouldn't turn the money down or throw it away!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, there aren't that many people who can write, arrange and perform really good original stuff. Most of us suck, and much of the stuff put out by the most talented individuals is mediocre at best. So it's not surprising that we want to play the stuff that has already "passed the test" and appeals to us.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3