Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Book/DVD/CD/ for Beginner

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@junkeroos)
Topic starter  

I'd like to know what the forum thinks (besides the reviewers from Amazon) of the following instructional materials for a total beginner playing acoustic guitar. Perhaps compare it with the "Guitar for Dummies" book/dvd which many think so little of. However, I have a preference for a complete multimedia package that combines book and DVD (or VCD/Enhanced CD) materials. Also I prefer something that would teach you songs that are more familiar like Beatles songs for example or something more contemporary but it's not a deal breaker.

The First Stage Guitar Book: Learn How To Play Guitar Easily & Quickly!

Ultimate Beginner Acoustic Guitar

Absolute Beginners Guitar Course

1st Steps for a Beginning Guitarist Volume One: Chords and Chord Progressions for the Guitar

How to Play Guitar: Everything You Need to Know to Play the Guitar

Hal Leonard Guitar Method, - Complete Edition : Books 1, 2 and 3

The Complete Acoustic Guitar Method : Learn to Play Using the Techniques and Songs of American Roots Music

One more thing, are there other professional reviewers online that compare and evaluate these instructional materials? Can someone provide a link?

I recently encountered an infomercial about learning to play the piano. It was "Play Piano in a Flash!" and although I thought it was very good, I find the instructor, Scott Houston, terribly annoying (his jokes are forced and rehearsed and he comes out fake for some reason). He has that certain je ne sais quoi that makes me irritated about him. That's just me but I would not like to see an instructor like him on the instructional DVDs on these guitar lessons.

:cool: Stock Market Simulator contest!
http://www.einvesting.com
Play The Market, Talk Investing, Learn Trading, Win $50!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You could also try the emedia software. It will give you tab of a song, plus sound tracks (usually at 2 speeds). At the end of each chapter there is a list of songs (and links to tab) that fit the standard of the lessons so far.

The blurb is a little confusing. It tells you that there are 150 or whatever lessons. On the one hand, it's true, but each "lesson" concentrates on one small part of playing (e.g. hammer-ons and pull-off). It helps build a feeling of achievement and confidence - very important to a beginner.

Well worth looking into.

I wrote a review, some time ago

https://www.guitarnoise.com/review.php?id=260

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

You should really try Keith Wyatts "Getting started on acoustic guitar" dvd. It's amazing. Best instructional thing I've ever seen. And btw, he makes no jokes as I can remember.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
(@blackrat)

Hi,
As a complete beginner and after a lot of research I have just bought the Playpro "Interactive Guitar" software
Although quite expensive it seems to combine a lot of the things I was looking for. It has a book with a spiral bound spine, so you can lay it flat on a music stand. It has 2 CD roms and a music CD, so you don't always have to be at a computer. Best of all you can plug in your guitar into the computer and it will "analyse" your efforts to see how close they are to perfect.

I haven't actually used anything in anger as my guitar is being given a complete overhaul prior to starting (so I can't blame the guitar). If its on time I should get it back tomorrow.

The package certainly looks good and feedback from other folks on the news groups seem to rate it as good to very good. I will let you know if I find out any different.
Blackrat

ReplyQuote