Clear all

Guitar for Dummies

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tamuka)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

For the absolute beginner, I doubt there's a better book out there. This book is really true to its name, as it makes no assumptions as to your playing preferences. There are detailed chapters dealing with:
- your basic major and minor chords and strumming patterns (campfire songs, oldies progressions)
- playing single note melodies up the neck(position playing),
- open 7th chords
- barre chords, including 7th chords. Oddly, only A/Am/E/Em based barre chords covered.
- 2 chapters on techniques commonly used in rock eg double stops, power chords, sus chords, bending, hammer-on/pull-off, slides
- a chapter on rock styles
- a chapter on blues styles, both electric and acoustic
- a chapter on folk/fingerstyle
- a chapter on classical
- a chapter (or 2?) on guitar accessories, maintenace and repairs, buying guides etc.

The book comes with accompanying CD with 100+ examples of songs, licks, etc. Plenty of material for either acoustic or electric players, plectrum pickers or fingerpickers to pick from. Best of all, the focus is on getting to play music, not learning musical theory, and the reading is light, humorous (isf somewhat corny) and easy. Highly recommended.

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

I would second that, I enjoyed it a lot.

Nice easy read, can pick what you want from it

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I'll third it. I know it's a late post but, I just bought it about two weeks ago and I'm enjoying it. I didn't know jack about the guitar before 3 months ago and this book is helping to bring me up to speed. Good general purpose so-ya-wanna-learn-about-the-guitar book.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I bought this book when I first started and I keep going back to it. As I progressed the upper chapters became easier to figure out. It also has given me some ideas for rhythms and practice drills. The CD is a nice bonus as well.

ReplyQuote