Skip to content
Hi, I'm new to play...

Notifications
Clear all

Hi, I'm new to playing the guitar, is this book...

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@badblood909)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Any good?

Complete Guitarist
by Richard Chapman, Les Paul (He only writes the foreword)

(@alangreen)

Hiya,

I figure that if a book - any book - teaches you how to do something you couldn't do before then it has some value.

I've also been reading one of Jamey Andreas's newsletters today (The alchemy Of Art) which is highly critical of exactly how most books get you playing.

All of this contradictory advice leaves the question unanswered - so I would say that your book has value, but don't use it as the sole source of your playing instruction. Do get yourself some lessons from a real live teacher. Do read the lessons on this site. In short - get as many opinions as you can from as many books/ videos/ other players as you can.

Best,

Alan :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@badblood909)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Allrighty, thanks.

Well, I know I should use more than one source, but that book would probably be the foundation, since I can't afford a guitar instructor.

Well, I could, but I have more important stuff, I just want to play guitar as self leisure, nothing more.

ReplyQuote
(@dfarmer)

I own a different book which is basically the same concept (Think pepsi -vs- coke) call the Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer (forward by Andy Summers of the Police).

Both of these books are pretty cool in that they cover all aspects of the instrument. I know how to string a guitar because of this book, I can do all kinds of little maintenence jobs. It's also got lists of scales and a section on reading music etc.

The downfall of books like these is that to fit so much into a small space they are pretty poor at explaining things. My Guitar Handbook is a great book (and it was the first I got) but it was virtually worthless as an instructional tool; a gold mine as a reference tool. Looking up stuff you already know but need a refresher on is great....trying to figure something out for the first time...not so easy.

-Dan

Don't Ask, Practice! - Philip Sudo Zen Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I have a copy of "The Complete Guitarist" but haven't had time to post a review here.  There is a lot of good info in the book but I think it is more useful as a reference book than as a learning tool.  Of course you can learn some things from the book but it doesn't seem to follow a logical teaching progression for a beginner (in my opinion).  Also, I think the book is confusing in many areas on theory.  Not a bad book to have but I personally like to learn from several sources.
Good luck!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@l-u-g)

Me thinks the book is confusing too. A lot of words to read. (i don't know if you can just read it and learn from it cause it seems boring) there are not many songs you can learn on it

probably as the others said. use it as a reference book

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I've bought and read alot of different instructional books.  Most of them I threw away because they were useless or just repeated what the other books said in different words.  Lemme go home and write up a short list of my most valuable books that helped me understand the guitar playing techniques also those books that helped me understand how to write music.  Not just guitar music, but all music in general.   Check back sometime within the next 24 hours.
8)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

BUY THE BOOK!  I personally guarantee it will be worth the $20 you pay or I'll buy it back from you!  No, I don't get a cut of the sales or kickbacks, but that book rocks.  A fantastic reference book you will be referring to over the years.

As a matter of fact, I got mine out yet again last night reading about some scale patterns.  One thing I love about the book is that it contains a wide array of information.  You can get bogged down on reading some scale stuff then mellow out by reading about the parts of electric guitar early in the book.

I'll add that some of the descriptions are a bit short in my opinion and that the newest of beginner (and me) can used more lengthy descriptions to toss out all uncertaintly.  Kinda D. Hodge style.  But I guess the book would be thicker than it already is.

Badblood, if you buy the book, would you come back here and tell us what you think of it?  One more recommendation.  If I were teaching students I'd make that required reading.  So a student shells out some cash but that's about the same price of an hour lesson.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I looked at the books I have at home.  It turns out that I have that book you are asking about.  It's a good book to buy.  I'd suggest you to buy another book to go along with it.  The book you asked about is very basic.  The other I am about to suggest goes into guitar playing with more depth and has comments through out the book by proffessional guitar players.  

--The Complete Guitarist by Richard Chapman
--The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer
--Scale Chord Relationship by Micheal Mueller and Jeff Schroedl
--Understanding Chord Progression for Guitar by Arnie Berle
--Playing Chord Progressions by Joff Jones (yes his name is spelled that way)
--The Ultimate Scale Book by Troy Stetina
--Making Music:  An Introduction to Theory by Alvin Etler

Note:  The last book in the list requires good knowledge of keys, chord structure and scales otherwise you will be lost.  

Good luck to you.  

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Did this help anybody?  Please let me know ???

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

hi Spiderpain!

Your list definitely helped me out. Looks like I'll be adding to my library this month!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I printed your list so I can go to the music store and check them out.  It's always good to have lots of reference material around and thanks for sharing!

;D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The books I listed is really all I need.  I would think the same for you people too.  All I need now are guitar and bass books of bands I want to study.  So I can learn and understand the basis of their technique and sound.  I'm happy that this helps some of you.  

ReplyQuote
(@badblood909)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I was bored, ran "badblood909" through google, and found this, surprised it's still going on the first half of the first page...

Anyway, I have had the book for years now, it's not actually mine, it's my brother's...

After trying to read it several times, I have to say:

As a reference book, it is amazing, you play the guitar? At one point, you must own this.

However, it really lacks when explaining theory, I tried for days to understand something off it, then spent 5 minutes with an article here, and got it easily.

Well, I guess again I'll ask, what are good books for theory (Putting a beginning guitarist, with no prior music experience, in mind)? I'll check out the list already posted...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I think this is a great book.  Most guitar players should have this or The Guitar Handbook as reference books.
   After many attempts at learning guitar, I picked up this book and Total Guitar from my library.  Total Guitar retaught me my chords and Complete Guitarist taught me a lot of basic theory.  I really think the reason I'm making more progress this time is that I have enough background in theory from this book to understand what I'm learning.  It doesn't feel like just an impossible amount of memorization.
    I switch back and forth betweeen which is the better book, this or the Guitar Handbook, but there is a lot of overlap and I can't imagine not having one or the other available.
    Is anyone aware of a better general guitar reference?

ReplyQuote