I bought Troy's stetina metal rhythm guitar method vol. I

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

since a friend of mine lent me an electric guitar I decided to get one of Troy Stetina famous metal guitar methods. Being a rhythmic player, three weeks ago I got the 1st volume of the metal rhyhthm guitar method.

It is unbelievably full of excercises so it takes quite a long to digest it, but I have to say that it is really helpful to learn heavy metal guitar-style. Even if I'm an heavy metal lover I've never that there are so many chord changes in a typical heavy metal riff!
The usual pop/rock song involves chord changes each measure or so (half-measure if it's a ballad) but in heavy metal it is quite common to change chords three times a measure or also find some passing chords that lasts a mere eight notes!

Now I'm learning off-beats accents and the extensive use of palm-muting and left-hand muted notes and I'm also trying to learn a Metallica-style composition including some eight-notes chord changes!

Anyway in just a few weeks I've been learnt a lot of things and power chords are becoming friends :D , so If you're into metal I really suggest everybody to get a copy of Troy's books

Cheers

Matteo

(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member

I also have bought the metal guitar vol1 im also working on the lead guitar primer...great books so far but hey what do i know ive only been playing for a year or so

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks for the review; I may add that to my wishlist.

For a broader range of rock styles, Stetina's "Total Rock Guitar" is also excellent. Covers metal, punk, Southern, rockabilly, alternative, and classic rock. More of a song-based approach, rather than exercises, but lots of good technique tips.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

matteo

I've never been a huge fan of Metal, but I practice it all the time. You will absolutely learn fretting but especially pick control. You learn to make small precise movements, not wide strums. So it is an excellent style to learn technique, especially the picking hand. It takes a light touch.

I have Troy's Mechanics for Lead Guitar, another good book. I pick it up now and then, it is also full of exercises. You should check it out too.

Have fun.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote