Clear all

Instructional videos

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kaspen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Which ones do you find helpful, and which ones are totally shit?

The ones that has inspired me the most are;

1. Michael Angelo - Star Licks. This was easily the most important video in my life. Back when I was a kid trying to learn guitar this was the perfect tool for developing my technique and learn how to play and practice without getting injured. If you can't do that, it doesn't really matter how many chord inversions and scales you can pull off, now does it? Sure, Michael Angelo is a douche but this video is the shit.

2. Carl Verheyen - Intervallic Rock. This changed my whole perspective on my soloplaying. I still return to this one for inspiration.

3. Frank Gambale - Modes; no more mystery. This was also a vital tool when I developed my playing in my youth. If you don't know an awful lot about theory and want to develop your playing and avoid clichés, this beginners guide is the perfect video for you.

4. Scott Henderson - Melodic Phrasing. This has vital advice for any guitarist. His thesis in the video is that the rhythm is as important as what you actually play, which kinda opened my eyes.

5. Don Mock - The Blues from Rock to Jazz. Don Mock must be one of the best teachers in the world, and this perfect tool will help you develop your solo playing. It ventures a bit into basic jazz, but in such a way that you can use it outside of a jazz context.

That being said, other videos are steaming piles of utter garbage. Here's a few that I think are totally worthless and should be avoided at all cost.

1. Anything by Wolf Marshall. This dude is the worst player I've ever seen in a video. There's nothing to learn from this idiot, save your money.

2. Yngwie Malmsteen - Hot Licks. This fat fuck simply plays a few licks. He's sloppy and probably drunk.

3. Anything by George Lynch. Great guitarist, worthless teacher.

4. Al Di Meola - REH instructional video. I don't know what the hell you're supposed to learn from this piece of shit.

5. Brent Mason - Nashville Chops & Western swing. You can buy this to simply admire his playing. He also talks about equipment a little, but other than that this video sucks ass. He's like "I like to just fool around and try to find notes that sound good". Wow, thanks for that awesome advice dude!

Now, what would you recommend and warn me about?

(@beast-from-the-east)

Click Link To Watch:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7175544336065122214&q=beginners+guide+to+run

"Beginners Guide To Run" demonstrates how to perform the chop that is used in reggae and ska, the foundation groove rhythm the "Forty Four".
BGTR shows a step by step introduction to "Run" Build Ups such as the Non-Stop, the Non-Stop Fade Away, the Steady, the Double Time, the Double Chop and more.
Part 5: Build Ups Freestyle incorporates The Forty Four into a Break into a Non-Stop Fade Away ending with the Steady.

Beginners Guide To Run is broken down into 5 segments:

* Part 1: The Chop

* Part 2: Rhythm Fundamentals

* Part 3: Run Fundamentals

* Part 4: Build Ups

* Part 5: Build Ups Freestyle

Mods, I felt it was appropriate to post under this thread since this is an instructional video.
Thanks,
enjoy!

Here is another video demonstrating Run:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.showvids&friendID=160585755&n=160585755&MyToken=11a7bccc-e857-47b3-ad18-dcd1c4c2937c

ReplyQuote