Notifications
Clear all

Jamey Abersold books

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@watermelon_man)
Topic starter  

Jamey Abersold has written over a hundred books on how to improvise in the jazz world, for all instruments. Many of them are songbooks containing great jazz favorites. Others, though such as vol. 1, are more concerned with theory and exersises. all the chords are written out, and all the scales for each song!

But here's the best part:
each and every book comes with a CD (or cassette or LP, if you prefer) of backgrounds for each song, by top-notch rhytm section players. For example, in the book "vol. 12-Herbie Hancock" is the song Watermelon Man. The inbcluded CD features Kenny Barron (piano), Ron Carter (bass), and Billy Hart (Drums), accompianing while you play over the CDSome good ones to learn the theory side of the equation are Vol. 1, vol. 21, vol.24, vol. 3, vol.16. for songs, there is vol.54, vol. 70.
check it out.

Duct tape is like the force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
If I am me and you are you, who are you?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've been using them since about 1979 or so... they're excellent.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@watermelon_man)
Topic starter  

really? what volumes in particular?

Duct tape is like the force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.
If I am me and you are you, who are you?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My improv coach when I was in college gave me #1 (Jazz Improvisation)... I pulled out the original book just now, and that was a 1973 copyright for the 'revised fourth edition' - I've long since worn out the vinyl, and upgraded to the 'revised sixth edition' on CD about 10 years ago. It's a great place to start.

By the way, every time they've revised an issue, they give you more material in the book - 4th edition had 28 pages, 6th edition has 104.

I haven't found a bad one yet in the Aebersold series, and I've dabbled with:
#2 - Nothin' but Blues
#3 - The II/V7/I progression
#16 - Turnarounds, Cycles, & II/V7s
#21 - Gettin' it Together
#24 - Major & Minor
#26 - The Scale Syllabus
#42 - Blues in all Keys
#68 - Giant Steps

I'm sure I'm forgetting some... those are the ones I found around here real quick :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote