Clear all

Jamorama - some thoughts from an old selftaught noodler

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@hobbypicker)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I recently purchased Jamorama in a weak moment, and at first I thought I'd thrown money out the window, since this really is a beginner's course, and after 30 years I "know" all this stuff.

But I started browsing through the lessons, and realized a few important things:

1. this is well made, combining pics, video and audio with tab and chord symbols

2. I wish I'd got this 30 years ago! I learned only from a book

3. I have to admit that though I know this stuff, it does no harm to polish my technique here and there

4. It's nice to do stuff I master well, not only struggling with licks and tricks I nearly manage to play

5. the jamalong tracks are good, and it's fun to experiment with different chord voicings and substitutions and rythm figures instead of playing from the sheet

So, maybe it's a good idea to go back to scratch once in a while? At least I don't feel that I've wasted my money anymore! :roll:

(@montezuma)
Estimable Member

At least I don't feel that I've wasted my money anymore! :roll:
I notice your post is a few months old - but I bought Jamorama recently and thought Id add my thoughts.

I began and gave up many years ago. At 40something Im teaching myself for something to do in the evenings cos I spend a lot of the year away from home working in West Africa. I chose the course because I could pay and download without having to risk the unreliable postal system.

So, even given decades of not playing (and when I gave up I was still a beginner) I breezed through the first half of the course though it was good to get some technical reminders as you say. Now its getting more interesting. The videos & MP3s are good, the jam tracks are fun. I think the quality of the lessons sometimes dips (short lessons with not much in etc) but it is fully featured and well put together.

I should add that the bonus extras are useful., The metronome is crap (it goes out of time if another programme is running) the guitar tuner is good, and the music notation reading game is brilliant. Its a fun way to learn the notes; now that I know them its a lot easier picking up tunes on the guitar - I recognise the notes immediately and can concentrate on the fretboard. There is also an ear training package that Ive only just started using. If it is as good as the music reading game then I think I got my moneys worth even without the teaching part!

I think later I will still need to go for one of the others mentioned elsewhere here - Absolutely Guitar by Scotty West sounds like a favourite.

One day Ill get a real live teacher!

Ciao
Ola

“Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is go where they can find you.” - Winnie the Pooh

ReplyQuote