Clear all

John Mayall in Concert

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Friday night at 8pm got a lovely front row seat at the Town Hall of my home town Cheltenham.
I was sat there waiting expectantly to see none other than the great John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, but up first was a real treat. The supporting act was Stan Webb's Chicken Shack.
Wow is all I can say, on stage walks this gaunt looking, slow speaking guy with a gold Les Paul around his neck and starts of laying down some real heavy blues number It was "Reconsider Baby" with a twist, not the usual version of the song you hear from the likes of Clapton but in a real up tempo shuffle feel style with some really nifty slide work from Stan. He has a very unorthodox slide style, plays it over the top of the neck with his slide fitted to his index finger and muting behind the slide with his second finger trailing his ring finger behind and the pinky is somehow slid underneath the neck.
They played in all, 5 numbers, most of which were written by Stan, so I don't remember the titles as I was just happy to sit and take it all in. I think I shall be putting some Chicken Shack CD's on my Christmas list.

After 30 minutes refreshment break the main act was on stage Mr. Mayall and Co.
What can one say that hasn't already been said about these guys. They are true pro's not a missed note or a fluffed line in sight.
Buddy Whittington....... Now there's a guy who can play guitar. I love the song "Hideaway" and I've heard it played by many an artist, but not like this. This man looks so relaxed when playing its unreal, its as though it requires no effort, when we all know thats not the case.
As for John Mayall, what a superb guy he is, a real gent, a fluent musician on so many instruments especially the harmonica. Some astounding playing there. He must have signed so many cd's and dvd's that night his wrist must have ached, but not enough to stop him playing the piano like he was born to it. Got my copy of his 70th bash signed, thanks John !!

The set list was very similar to that on his birthday bash cd / dvd.

I will see him again as well as Stan Webb if I ever get the chance to do so.

Here is the tour schedule so if you can get along and see them http://www.johnmayall.com/tour.html

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668