Skip to content
My Review of David ...

Notifications
Clear all

My Review of David Hodge's Bass Guitar Book !!!

29 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
12.3 K Views
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm pretty good at keeping a secret, but now that David's book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar" is officially shipping, it's time to let the cat out of the bag.

Back in July, I was able to finagle my way into getting an advanced copy of the book, and I've had the opportunity to spend several weeks studying and learning from it. The timing couldn't have been better, as I had just joined the church band with no real experience on bass and I needed to learn the essentials in a fairly short time period. I also picked up a couple of traditional method books, but I could tell right away that David's book was different.

Of course, one can't expect to master any instrument in such a short time period, but I can honestly state that the book has helped me get much further along than I could have possibly anticipated just a month or so ago. I do expect to be working with the book for many more months to come, and using it as an excellent reference as I move on to other instructional material.

My review is now up on the GN reviews page, and you can see it here:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/review.php?id=434

I'd be happy to respond to any questions, either here or via PM.
8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@corbind)
Noble Member

I read your post and also the review article on the book. I don't see any reviews on Amazon.com yet. Maybe you'd like to post your review there? Still, I'd wait to ask David if anything had changed from the copy you got compared to what's selling out there now.

I ordered his book today from Amazon and I don't even have a bass. Well, I had one and quit that to play guitar. The book is a present for my brother who's had a bass for a decade but never read item one about what he should be doing' Anyway, I'll be reading it cover to cover a couple of times after I get it then put up a review. Looking forward to it. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Nice review! I will need to get me a copy ( and another one for my nephew and niece). --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't see any reviews on Amazon.com yet. Maybe you'd like to post your review there? Still, I'd wait to ask David if anything had changed from the copy you got compared to what's selling out there now.

Yep - the ones that ship in the first edition will be the same, and David is aware of the few typos/misplacements (he was even gracious enough to point some out to me that I missed!)

I've posted to Amazon as well (same exact review) but it apparently takes them a couple of days to add it to the site.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

As Mitch says, the book that's out there now is the same as the one he got. I'll do what I can to let everyone know about any more mistakes. Paul and I are putting together an "Errata Page" and as soon as it's ready I'll post a link.

But it's also important that if anyone catches anything that is wrong, to please let me know. Should this book do well enough for the publishers to do a second edition, then I'll be able to give them corrections and hopefully even get to remix and remaster the CD as well.

Mitch, I just saw the review posted up on Amazon. Thanks for that!

And Ken, many thanks! You've got a cool family!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

What a great review, Slej! Nice work.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Mitch, well done. I just got an email from David and your "pre-release" is what we're all gonna get. Kudos for your very detailed review. I wish all people would put that much effort/time into such. :)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I pre-ordered mine, received it three days ago and I already have a gig as a professional bass player in a nationally touring band.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Riverside Jam Traveling All Stars?

You're too much, Nick! Thanks for the laugh to start my day. :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I have been considering buying the book for my 11 year old son. I have no doubt that it is a quality book, since everything I see from David on this site is top notch. My son has recently picked up the bass and is fiddling around with one of the beginner books he found on the rack at Guitar Center.

QUESTION - can this book be used by him (or by me with him), or is it geared to an older crowd? Stated differently, is it written so that an 11 year old boy can use it?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

11 year old? Sure.

Heck....even bass players can use it.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A man gives his son an electric bass for his 11th birthday, along with a coupon for four bass lessons.

When the son returns from his first lesson, the father asks, "So, what did you learn?" "Well, I learned four notes on the E string."

Next week, after the second lesson, the father again asks about the progress, and the son replies, "This time I learned four notes on the A string."

One week later, the son comes home far later than expected, smelling of cigarettes and beer. So the father asks: "Hey, what happened in today's lesson?"

"Dad, I'm sorry I couldn't make it to my lesson; I had a gig!"

Johnny starting playing bass as a child, and his encouraging mother always kept his spirits high and made him proud to be a bassist. One day he came home and said, "Mommy, Mommy! Today in school we did numbers, and most kids only got to ten, but I went to twenty!"
"That's Great Johnny!" his mother replied, "That's because you're a bass player!"
Excited, Johnny ran upstairs and practiced the bass.

The next day, Johnny came home saying,"Mommy! Mommy! Today we did the alphabet, and everyone else stopped at P, but I made it all the way to Z!"
"That's Great Johnny!" his mother replied, "That's because you're a bass player!"
Excited, Johnny ran upstairs and practiced the bass.

The next day, Johnny came home excited once again. "Mommy! Mommy! Today They measured us and I'm the tallest in my class! Is that because I'm a bass player?"
"No Johnny," his Mother said, "That's because you're 28."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

QUESTION - can this book be used by him (or by me with him), or is it geared to an older crowd? Stated differently, is it written so that an 11 year old boy can use it?

My personal view is that's it's written to an adult or at least a mature teen audience. But if you're willing to work with him I'd say it's an excellent resource and more informative than a traditional method book. Not that method books are bad - some like Ed Friedland's are invaluable - but they are what they are. This one's unique.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi billygreen; welcome to GN!

Click the link at the top of the GN home page:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/

There's also a side-bar at right. If you click through to Amazon from one of those links, then GN gets some small benefit as well.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You should be able to pick it up at any major ( or most any) Book store.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2